This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maifire

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!! I'm still in high school, but I know I want to pursue a career with animals. I'm not sure if I should become a zoo veterinarian or a wildlife biologist. I know they're both very different careers, and since I was little I've wanted to be a zoo vet, however now that I'm getting older I want to be able to travel more. The main reason for me wanting to be a wildlife biologist is because they get to work outside and travel more, but I'm worried that there's little to no pay, and very few jobs. Please help!:(

Members don't see this ad.

Hi!! I'm still in high school, but I know I want to pursue a career with animals. I'm not sure if I should become a zoo veterinarian or a wildlife biologist. I know they're both very different careers, and since I was little I've wanted to be a zoo vet, however now that I'm getting older I want to be able to travel more. The main reason for me wanting to be a wildlife biologist is because they get to work outside and travel more, but I'm worried that there's little to no pay, and very few jobs. Please help!:(
Have you thought about majoring in wildlife/wildlife biology while simultaneously taking pre-reqs for vet school and shadowing a vet/getting a part-time job in wildlife/vet clinic/research? That way you can see which one you like better as you go along in college.

Reactions: 1 users
Little to no pay and very few jobs describes zoo medicine as much as is does wildlife biology, to be honest. Except the former will incur $100,000-$200,000 of debt in addition to that.

You're in high school and have plenty of time to figure it out. Keeping an open mind about all careers is what you need to be doing right now.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

This is an assumption that you need to look into more and not make your main reason for your career. Often a biologist will spend a heck of a lot of time not outside by the way...working on paperwork and reading articles and writing grants and papers and trying to gain funding for research. And good field days are often weather dependent and require a significant amount of pre-planning and organization and even luck -aka stress. Unless you work as a field technician in which case you work underneath the project leader and you might get your name in a journal article at the bottom, maybe. You need to get involved in each career and make a decision after that. In fact why make a decision now anyway? I earned a BS in Marine science and traveled to research conferences and worked with NOAA in FL and Washington DC for a summer, all while going to college in Hawaii. Now I'm going a very different route, and I wasn't able to make a solid decision about it until my last year or two of undergrad. So many doors are just there waiting for you to step into them, wait until you've stepped into a few before you make a solid career decision. It was easy to fit the vet pre-reqs into my undergrad degree because it was a BS and included most of the required coursework anyway. After college I worked in a vet clinic for a year plus maintained my non-profit volunteer work and took my remaining pre-reqs for vet school. It set me up perfectly mentally and academically to apply and be accepted to veterinary school. I didn't rush any decisions because you can't rush the very thing that will help you make important choices, and that is experience.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I think it's wonderful that you're interested in a career related to animals or wildlife in the future. However, at this time, you have no *100% guaranteed* way to predict the future.

When you begin your first year of college, you can begin to explore different career aspirations. Right now, this is your time to focus on your high school classes (GPA), develop commendable study habits, and perhaps volunteer your time with some animal/zoo/wildlife sanctuaries that are located near your home.

The life of a wildlife biologist is not always filled with exciting adventures, ideal weather, pristine natural scenery, or being surrounded by happy animals eager to become your best friend. Nope. Television shows make it look fun and exciting. In reality, it can be brutal, isolating, risky and exhausting. Ditto for the life of a zoo veterinarian, that is, if you're even hired as a zoo veterinarian (because zoo medicine is a small market and many zoo veterinarians don't retire on a regular basis).

As mentioned by @Shreddr22, you can evaluate different careers after you begin college - so kindly keep an open mind. If you're like most folks, your UG years will provide you with multiple (and new) perspectives concerning your likes, and dislikes, as well as future careers choices/opportunities. If you ultimately pursue a career related to veterinary medicine or wildlife biology, that's fine. If not ... no worries. Think ... explore ... take some time ... and experience ... before you leap too quickly into the unpredictable future. :)

Thank you.

I think it's wonderful that you're interested in a career related to animals or wildlife in the future. However, at this time, you have no *100% guaranteed* way to predict the future.

When you begin your first year of college, you can begin to explore different career aspirations. Right now, this is your time to focus on your high school classes (GPA), develop commendable study habits, and perhaps volunteer your time with some animal/zoo/wildlife sanctuaries that are located near your home.

The life of a wildlife biologist is not always filled with exciting adventures, ideal weather, pristine natural scenery, or being surrounded by happy animals eager to become your best friend. Nope. Television shows make it look fun and exciting. In reality, it can be brutal, isolating, risky and exhausting. Ditto for the life of a zoo veterinarian, that is, if you're even hired as a zoo veterinarian (because zoo medicine is a small market and many zoo veterinarians don't retire on a regular basis).

As mentioned by @Shreddr22, you can evaluate different careers after you begin college - so kindly keep an open mind. If you're like most folks, your UG years will provide you with multiple (and new) perspectives concerning your likes, and dislikes, as well as future careers choices/opportunities. If you ultimately pursue a career related to veterinary medicine or wildlife biology, that's fine. If not ... no worries. Think ... explore ... take some time ... and experience ... before you leap too quickly into the unpredictable future. :)

Thank you.
Doctor S, you have the best replies to everything. Well thought out and professional and caring. You truly have the heart of an educator!

Hi Maifire! I wanted to respond, as I actually have a career as a wildlife biologist and have been considering returning to school to be a wildlife vet (because getting a job in wildlife biology wasn't a slim enough prospect, better narrow that field a bit more! ;)) I wanted to provide some perspectives on what it is actually like to be a wildlife biologist, because it definitely has its ups and downs!

Like most, I started out as a technician and spent time going from 6-month job to 6-month job. For these, I spent almost every single day outside doing a wide variety of tasks in every kind of weather. Through this, I met some of my favorite people, but also had very trying experiences living with field crews. I learned a very broad set of skills, and got to travel to quite a few spectacular locations as a technician. The pay was low (although I consider myself very lucky to have had pay, as many people that get out of school with no volunteer experience usually have to take unpaid internships to catch up on experience), there are no benefits, and you have no job security (unless you land a job with federal auto-rehire status). It can be precarious, especially now, as funding is always changing, and you may not be able to line up positions consistently. Because of this stress, I went to graduate school and got an MS in wildlife biology. This does not guarantee a "real job", as I hired technicians for my research that had MS degrees and no job. But getting an MS was one of my favorite parts of my life - research at this level typically requires extensive field work, and if you are lucky, it will involve getting hands on animals. Additionally, as a student, you are not required to (but are often encouraged to) find grants, and get experience writing manuscripts that don't contribute to the "publish or perish" mentality that exists in later-career research scientists. After my MS, I got a job with a non-profit organization focused on bird conservation. It isn't permanent, but it is extremely stable and has moderate pay (starting salaries for most organizations range from $30k to $55k depending on which agency, and you shouldn't ever pay for an MS, so your only debt would be anything you pay for your undergrad). It is in the office more than the field - perhaps a 60/40 split for office/field, with the field work all being in the summer, so summers are very busy. It lacks the camaraderie of early technician jobs, and the variety. Often, jobs at this level, unless you are working for a state agency, lack the experience of handling wildlife, but still spend time outside doing surveys/observations on wildlife or assessing habitat.

However, the most important thing to realize about wildlife biology, is that it is HIGHLY variable in the experiences/careers available to you. So when you say you are interested in being a wildlife biologist, that could mean many, many things. If you like the idea, I would encourage you to go for it, but realize that you may have to (later!) figure out what specifically you are interested in. Is it research? Habitat conservation? Outreach and education? Hands-on experience with animals? That will alter what volunteer experiences you choose to pursue in college - or try them all and base your future decisions on what you do and don't like. Most importantly, always volunteer and work in the field throughout school! The opportunities you don't pursue, someone else is! I cannot say enough for the value of volunteering to learn skills, learn what you do and don't like about the field, and as a tool to network with potential future employers.

Good luck in your decision! At this point, I would just focus on finding out what you enjoy! And don't stress about it, because all jobs will have perks and downsides. They are closely related enough that you will likely have transferable skill sets that would allow you to "try them out" if you later realize you want to move into a different field.

Sorry for the length on this! :)