Help please!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BB3579

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
First post here and was wondering if anyone can help me out! I recently have decided to return to school after graduating 2 years ago. I originally was thinking I would go straight to get my PhD in clinical psych, but I am realizing that my lack of research experience is a serious downfall. I graduated from a university in Maine (still living here) with a BA in psychology and holistic health minor. I had a cumulative GPA of 3.58, and a 3.6 in psychology. I will be taking the GRE's soon and aiming for 160-ish in both quant. and verbal (have taken a few practice tests). I have spent the last 2.5 years working at a nonprofit with young adults with developmental disabilities (mostly autism) as well as a 1 year internship my last year of undergrad working with the same population. But I have zero research experience (with the exception of a research methods course) because I was late in figuring out that I wanted to go to a PhD program for clinical.

Another worry of mine is my letters of recommendation. I have one that is extremely strong. My other two professors that I was close with and would have given great recommendations have since retired. I wasn't very involved with many others so anyone who would write one, wouldn't be a strong letter.

Eventually I'd like to be at a PhD program in clinical psych with a neuro emphasis and focus on autism and other developmental disorders. Would getting a master's degree first help me here? I am very interested in the MA in psychology at SDSU as well as the MS in psychology (clinical concentration) at SFSU. Are these a little out of my reach? Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

SDSU is a tough program to get into. A few colleagues of mine went there. Gazziniga is known to hang out by a coffee shop around there.

If money is not an issue, there is no harm in applying to both MS and PhD programs in places you are interested in. Foot in the door/door in the face effects depending on how you word your essays.

Reactions: 1 user
You could try getting a job as a research assistant in a neuro/developmental disorders clinic or institute. You might not do much at first beyond collect/enter data or recruit participants, but if you were connected with a strong investigator that could be a great source of experience and a recommendation. You might have to relocate to a large metro area where such opportunities exist, however.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone!
First post here and was wondering if anyone can help me out! I recently have decided to return to school after graduating 2 years ago. I originally was thinking I would go straight to get my PhD in clinical psych, but I am realizing that my lack of research experience is a serious downfall. I graduated from a university in Maine (still living here) with a BA in psychology and holistic health minor. I had a cumulative GPA of 3.58, and a 3.6 in psychology. I will be taking the GRE's soon and aiming for 160-ish in both quant. and verbal (have taken a few practice tests). I have spent the last 2.5 years working at a nonprofit with young adults with developmental disabilities (mostly autism) as well as a 1 year internship my last year of undergrad working with the same population. But I have zero research experience (with the exception of a research methods course) because I was late in figuring out that I wanted to go to a PhD program for clinical.

Another worry of mine is my letters of recommendation. I have one that is extremely strong. My other two professors that I was close with and would have given great recommendations have since retired. I wasn't very involved with many others so anyone who would write one, wouldn't be a strong letter.

Eventually I'd like to be at a PhD program in clinical psych with a neuro emphasis and focus on autism and other developmental disorders. Would getting a master's degree first help me here? I am very interested in the MA in psychology at SDSU as well as the MS in psychology (clinical concentration) at SFSU. Are these a little out of my reach? Does anyone have any other suggestions?

You could try to contact the two retired professors, as I would imagine they would be still be willing to write you a letter.