Help!! School is over and I'm reapplying....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmerted

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
School is now over and I'm reapplying for pharmacy school. Applying late sucks!!

I need to find a full time job and 2 places to volunteer my time on a weekly basis. I'm already working part-time as a pharmacy cashier, but it ony pays 6 bucks an hour.

What is a good full time job to take until next year? Of course, i'm applying to pharmacy technician jobs, but is a lab technician a good job to apply to (pays slighter higher). Any good ideas for a job that looks good for pharmacy school?

And what is the best way to find out more information about places to volunteer my time? What did some of you guys volunteer at?

THANKS!!!

Members don't see this ad.

pharmerted said:
School is now over and I'm reapplying for pharmacy school. Applying late sucks!!

I need to find a full time job and 2 places to volunteer my time on a weekly basis. I'm already working part-time as a pharmacy cashier, but it ony pays 6 bucks an hour.

What is a good full time job to take until next year? Of course, i'm applying to pharmacy technician jobs, but is a lab technician a good job to apply to (pays slighter higher). Any good ideas for a job that looks good for pharmacy school?

And what is the best way to find out more information about places to volunteer my time? What did some of you guys volunteer at?

THANKS!!!

I suggest that working in any related medical careers may look good. It states that "hey, this person really likes the medical field and is well rounded". I would suggest looking at hospital websites for openings in like medical assisting, etc. What's your degree in? Do you have a degree? Why not try something that will hire you with your degree (if you have one)?

i liked the big brothers/big sisters programs... they have school based programs as well where you just spend an hour a week at the kid's school.

we have shelters here that need people to rearrange stock rooms or help out in their kid play areas....

i mean my goal with volunteer would be to get something out of it...
you could always look into volunteering at a children's hospital

nursing homes like people to come in and play bingo with residents... if you play any sort of instrument you could have mini concerts for the patients there....

you could volunteer with the special olympics, american red cross, alzheimer's association, american diabetes association,etc.

i would find something i was interested in or thought i could make a difference in and start looking in that field.

Members don't see this ad :)
Habitat for Humanity is what I usually volunteer for, you get a little dirty, but it's fun if you go with some friends.

Before working as a pharm tech I was a lab technician for 4 years at a biotech company. You can either do full time or be part time like a lab assistant (the pay for lab assistant is decent and usually no experience prior is needed). And I volunteer at a middle school after school program where economically disadvantaged children and families attend.

hey.. i'm on the same boat. I applied late.. and I guess I "deserve" the consequeces :(. and schoo is just about almost over.

as for work, I'm starting to work part time as a pharmacy assistant and part time at a homeopathic pharmacy which sounds really cool. I usually look with careerbuilder for jobs and as for volunteer, i tend to look for at hospitals, but the ideas suggested sound pretty cool too.

gluck with reapplying... we're gonna need it :(

bbmuffin said:
i liked the big brothers/big sisters programs... they have school based programs as well where you just spend an hour a week at the kid's school.

we have shelters here that need people to rearrange stock rooms or help out in their kid play areas....

i mean my goal with volunteer would be to get something out of it...
you could always look into volunteering at a children's hospital

nursing homes like people to come in and play bingo with residents... if you play any sort of instrument you could have mini concerts for the patients there....

you could volunteer with the special olympics, american red cross, alzheimer's association, american diabetes association,etc.

i would find something i was interested in or thought i could make a difference in and start looking in that field.

Is this the kind of volunteering that pharmacy schools look for? Like Big Brothers or habitat for humanity?

I'm just curious. i always thought that they would look for something more directly related... like something disease/cancer/hospital/research related.

Is there some kind of fellowship kind of thing or biotech/research related thing i could get involved in?

I need to find a full time job and some volunteer exp by June 1st because my app to PharmCAS will probably go in August 1st or so. I'd like to apply in June, but i need to more stuff for my application.

Thanks for your help!!!!

i think its good to sometimes think outside the box. you don't have to do something health related. the main things i think schools are looking for are a) the reason you pursued that volunteer position, b) how passionate you are about the cause, c) what you got out of the experience. they want to see people take leadership positions and commit to a cause for a long period of time and not people who do things just to beef up their resume. my advice is to just choose something that you feel passionate about or that has affected you in some way, health related or not, and then really commit a lot of time to it. good luck with everything.

pharmerted said:
Is this the kind of volunteering that pharmacy schools look for? Like Big Brothers or habitat for humanity?

I'm just curious. i always thought that they would look for something more directly related... like something disease/cancer/hospital/research related.

Is there some kind of fellowship kind of thing or biotech/research related thing i could get involved in?

I need to find a full time job and some volunteer exp by June 1st because my app to PharmCAS will probably go in August 1st or so. I'd like to apply in June, but i need to more stuff for my application.

Thanks for your help!!!!
i actually think pharmacy schools want volunteer experience that looks more at how you work in the community... after all ... isn't that what most of us will be doing when we get out...

i did not do an ounce of health care related volunteering nor was i a member of any prepharm- chem- bio clubs....

bbmuffin said:
i did not do an ounce of health care related volunteering nor was i a member of any prepharm- chem- bio clubs....

neither did I.

I am too lazy to join clubs like that.
In my efficient little mind the classes ought to be enough but nooooooooooooo

pharmerted said:

THANKS!!!
ok. lets look at your situation. Get certified as a technician, fast. This six bucks an hour isnt gonna cut it. If you want some action, join retail pharmacy. If you prefer a slower pace, join a hospital. Either way, pharm schools like the certification. Since you are out of school, volunteer opportunities should be easier since studying isnt really an issue (unless reviewing for PCAT). There are children hospitals, soup kitchens, blood banks, libraries, boys and girls club. There is so much out there. Just go online with your local city and research vol. work thats available. Dont be afraid to ask questions or be a little pushover. Sometimes thats what it takes to get things done...
Melissa c/o 2009 TSU :luck:

msalinasrx said:
ok. lets look at your situation. Get certified as a technician, fast. This six bucks an hour isnt gonna cut it. If you want some action, join retail pharmacy. If you prefer a slower pace, join a hospital. Either way, pharm schools like the certification. Since you are out of school, volunteer opportunities should be easier since studying isnt really an issue (unless reviewing for PCAT). There are children hospitals, soup kitchens, blood banks, libraries, boys and girls club. There is so much out there. Just go online with your local city and research vol. work thats available. Dont be afraid to ask questions or be a little pushover. Sometimes thats what it takes to get things done...
Melissa c/o 2009 TSU :luck:

Thanks for your advice. I'm working on the PTCB exam, but the next one isn't until 7/23 and results won't come out until late August. So i'm pretty screwed for this cycle to get a job as a pharm technician, (or at least until september or so)

what do you think is the best full time job to take in the mean time? maybe lab tech or something?

Do what u are interested in, not what looks good to pharmacy schools. Your time will be better spent on something you enjoy and will get something out of than just what looks good on paper. For instance, if you are going to do research but end up hating, its a waste of time. Whatever u are interested in, go for it and you'll be rewarded many times over.

pharmerted said:
Thanks for your advice. I'm working on the PTCB exam, but the next one isn't until 7/23 and results won't come out until late August. So i'm pretty screwed for this cycle to get a job as a pharm technician, (or at least until september or so)

what do you think is the best full time job to take in the mean time? maybe lab tech or something?

Thats sounds like a good idea. But, like the previous post, make sure you enjoy the job and favor the description. It could be a lab tech, research, or even hospital work. Just make it enjoyable. But when is work ever enjoyable, right? Ive been a retail tech for 8 YEARS, certified for 5. Of course hands on pharmacy employment is the best way to get your feet wet- no matter what setting. BUT don't feel rushed if you feel you have other job options. Other jobs can create a well-roundedness about you, which makes you stand out when you are applying. Dont freak, just look carefully in your city. Your options are endless, and whatever job you pick is always a plus in the eyes of pharm schools. It shows responsibility. Don't panic. Just make time. Let me know how it goes! :thumbup:

If you're starting to apply now, how is that applying late??? Most schools will not even accept your application until September 1st. That gives you plenty of time to write your personal statement, order your transcripts, get your letters of recommendation together, etc. I didn't have a complete application until october, and I got into my first choice, so relax.