This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alessandra20

Reaction score
Hello everyone! after years of anxiety on whether or not i’ll go to pharmacy school i can say now that my anxiety has shifted on whether or not i will survive so i could really use advice or just setting the record straight
i start this coming fall’22 and i’m probably over thinking things but i genuinely am just worried that i’m going to fail out. Since I took all of my genchems and ochems online during the pandemic, i can’t say that this didn’t make me rely on the concept of “open note” exams so i’m worried my chemistry is lacking and that i’ll be behind really. I do feel like the pandemic did cause a lot of strain on me which is why I feel that i’m a victim of burnt out. On top of that, I am currently taking biochem in person at my university however, we’ve had to switch professors 3 different times so it put us behind to the point where we only started going over concepts like the citric acid cycle or glycolysis on the last week of class no exaggeration.
Have I dug myself a hole that’s too deep to get out of? Any advice because my anxiety has been through the roof lately and I feel like i’m a failure. I take constructive criticism well! (pls don’t be mean)

Members don't see this ad.

Side Note: I'm trusting you did your due diligence on this career embarkment -

Admittedly, the pandemic leading to virtual exams and classrooms has some set backs for just about every student entering professional schooling. That said, and if you still decide to pursue school, their is nothing you can do in terms of better preparing for what is to come. It may feel like you're jumping in cold water but eventually you'll adapt if you ask enough questions and willing to dedicate that extra time to learn the small details. Honestly, medicinal chemistry (and the whole krebs-cycle chart) was really about memorizing at high speed and having a basic understanding of lipophilicity vs hydrophilicity and pH levels (acidity) and how that relates to certain med structures.

Just relax and ask questions when the time comes. Some give the notion that school is easy, but it definitely gave me stress. Slowly but surely everything will add up if you're diligent. It had been ~ 4-5 years since I picked up a biochemistry or molecular bio book when I entered school (just worked in hospital doing IV admixtures and did pharmacy coverages for the DOD). Enjoy your break and focus on how you learn best once you start school.

If you don't ask 100 questions per day on topics at the beginning of classes then you're not asking enough questions (then again, I went to a 3 year accelerated program).

YMMV

Reactions: 1 users
Side Note: I'm trusting you did your due diligence on this career embarkment -

Admittedly, the pandemic leading to virtual exams and classrooms has some set backs for just about every student entering professional schooling. That said, and if you still decide to pursue school, their is nothing you can do in terms of better preparing for what is to come. It may feel like you're jumping in cold water but eventually you'll adapt if you ask enough questions and willing to dedicate that extra time to learn the small details. Honestly, medicinal chemistry (and the whole krebs-cycle chart) was really about memorizing at high speed and having a basic understanding of lipophilicity vs hydrophilicity and pH levels (acidity) and how that relates to certain med structures.

Just relax and ask questions when the time comes. Some give the notion that school is easy, but it definitely gave me stress. Slowly but surely everything will add up if you're diligent. It had been ~ 4-5 years since I picked up a biochemistry or molecular bio book when I entered school (just worked in hospital doing IV admixtures and did pharmacy coverages for the DOD). Enjoy your break and focus on how you learn best once you start school.

If you don't ask 100 questions per day on topics at the beginning of classes then you're not asking enough questions (then again, I went to a 3 year accelerated program).

YMMV
you literally have no idea how much stress you just took off my shoulders because some things i’ve read said that if i’m not an expert on chemistry or have a huge fundamental understanding, i might as well just drop out of school😅 i mean i have a good 5 months and was planning on just watching a bunch of videos on the basics so i have an idea on what they’re talking about
also worth mentioning that i committed to wayne state and based on things i’ve read, their program isn’t easy but i just felt like i was too stupid or even if i use the time, id be a failure or something 🥲 but i mean all i have to do and accept is that i’m just going to have to study study study and make it through these 4 years im just a little nervous that’s all 😅 but thank you very much for the advice

Saying you have to have an expert understanding of chemistry is subjective. Again, I hadn't cracked open a science book in a few years before starting school. As nice as it would be to have all the amino acid structures, pH / isotonic points memorized, and try to re-remember the making of ATPs / NADH's at each cycle during glycolysis :cautious:, it's just not going to happen.

Things will sound familiar, re-memorize and apply, and ask questions. It won't be easy, but you'll ease into it. Just binge-watch movies during your break and enjoy what freedom you have while you still can (I went fishing nearly every single day with my kids for 4 months over the summer before school). If it bugs you that you need to study something, memorize the top 300 drugs and work as a tech. Leave the rest until school.

Reactions: 1 user