Help visa student LOA or potential fail comlex level 2? FM applicant in fourth year DO.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SILMST

Reaction score
I’m two weeks away from level 2 and I don’t feel ready. My previous COMSAE one month ago was 330s granted I had a mess in my life coming into the COMSAE. Kind of panicking and on top of that I’m a visa student so I’m already less competitive.

I’ve only heard of level 1 failures (I low passed 428) but how would a potential level 2 failure look? My options is
1. Do my best and just take the exam and avoid a LOA to get extra time to study and just attempt it again while on rotations later this year if I fail
2. Take a LOA now to study more for it until I get a better COMSAE but may not be able to graduate on time, I don’t know what that means for a visa student.

If anyone has experience with any of this I would appreciate feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

what are your school's policies? At my school (current 4th yr too), they would take an elective rotation and convert it into a "study elective rotation". that would mean we get an extra 4 weeks to study for boards but i'm not sure much more beyond that.

have you taken any other comsaes after that ?

what are your school's policies? At my school (current 4th yr too), they would take an elective rotation and convert it into a "study elective rotation". that would mean we get an extra 4 weeks to study for boards but i'm not sure much more beyond that.

have you taken any other comsaes after that ?
I have not. I have some elective rotations coming up and some core ones too, but can’t be converted to non clinical.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have not. I have some elective rotations coming up and some core ones too, but can’t be converted to non clinical.
hmm ok. so your school refused to allow you to take a nonclinical rotation (e.g. healthcare policy or whatever) as your elective? you cant do a nonclinical rotation to avoid delaying and studying for comlex at the same time?

were those the only options listed by your dean/faculty at your school?

Reactions: 1 user
I’m two weeks away from level 2 and I don’t feel ready. My previous COMSAE one month ago was 330s granted I had a mess in my life coming into the COMSAE. Kind of panicking and on top of that I’m a visa student so I’m already less competitive.

I’ve only heard of level 1 failures (I low passed 428) but how would a potential level 2 failure look? My options is
1. Do my best and just take the exam and avoid a LOA to get extra time to study and just attempt it again while on rotations later this year if I fail
2. Take a LOA now to study more for it until I get a better COMSAE but may not be able to graduate on time, I don’t know what that means for a visa student.

If anyone has experience with any of this I would appreciate feedback.
You still have plenty of time to push it back and prepare to take it. You can still apply to residency without it and update later especially if you're applying FM. I'd say push it to mid-late September, so that will give you more than a month to study and prepare while on rotations. You should get your score back in October and update it on ERAS which is still plenty of time to get interviews. Peak interview invite season isn't usually until November.

Last edited:
Is this true for all fields (i.e. neuro 😉)?
I still got 13 interviews without a Level 2 score. I didn't have a score until January, but I also applied very very broadly. So not having it definitely hurts, but if you get it in by October, you should be fine.

Edit: And yes, peak interview invite season for Neurology was also November.

Last edited: