Help with alternatives to Oakland Uni SOM and Temple

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MaybeDr

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm putting the finishing touches on my school list and I'm trying to find better alternatives. Temple receives WAY too many applications for it's ~30% OOS matriculants. Oakland University William Beaumont SOM is a small town and I need more urban schools.

Any suggestions that of schools that have similar stats? I was thinking of replacing Temple with OHSU. Still struggling to find a replacement for Beaumont.

I have the following schools already on my list

MCW
UCI
UCD
Rochester
Albert Einstein
Hofstra
Saint Louis
Miami
Colorado
Dartmouth
Tufts
Loyola
Tulane
Vermont
Wake
EVMS
NYMC
Rosalind Franklin
Frank Netter
WV

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Rochester/Royal Oak, Michigan is the "middle of nowhere?" :confused:
Royal Oak has a population of 60k and Rochester has a population of 13k. Probably should've used the words "small city" instead, as wiki describes it. Outskirts of Detroit is less than ideal.

Members don't see this ad :)
You do realize that that the boundaries of said cities are entirely arbitrary, making population an entirely useless statistic? Royal Oak is probably the single "trendiest" area of Michigan outside of Ann Arbor... bars, clubs, nightlife, restaurants. Not sure you really know the geography of the area if you're saying things like that.

as for OSHU vs Temple, any school in the PNW is going to be awful to try to get into. Not only do you only have two schools in the entire region, and lots of people who'd kill to be in Portland or Seattle, but you have the wave of Californians pulling the "At least I'd be on the west coast" card.

Reactions: 1 users
You do realize that that the boundaries of said cities are entirely arbitrary, making population an entirely useless statistic? Royal Oak is probably the single "trendiest" area of Michigan outside of Ann Arbor... bars, clubs, nightlife, restaurants. Not sure you really know the geography of the area if you're saying things like that.

as for OSHU vs Temple, any school in the PNW is going to be awful to try to get into. Not only do you only have two schools in the entire region, and lots of people who'd kill to be in Portland or Seattle, but you have the wave of Californians pulling the "At least I'd be on the west coast" card.
You're completely right I do not know the geographic area which is exactly why I made this thread! Now I know Royal Oaks might be cool. It's hard to determine what's urban, what's not, what might be interesting etc... when all you really have to go off is Wiki and what people say. I was told by my advisor that Rochester was not an ideal place to spend time in. Thanks for your feedback. I haven't traveled around the US much so I'm very ignorant of Michigan geography sadly...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Did you know Rosalind Franklin is much closer to Wisconsin than Chicago? It is easily an hour or more drive to Chicago. Do you have Medical College of Wisconsin on your list? How about Creighton or Rush?

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk 2

You're completely right I do not know the geographic area which is exactly why I made this thread! Now I know Royal Oaks might be cool. It's hard to determine what's urban, what's not, what might be interesting etc... when all you really have to go off is Wiki and what people say. I was told by my advisor that Rochester was not an ideal place to spend time in. Thanks for your feedback. I haven't traveled around the US much so I'm very ignorant of Michigan geography sadly...

Rochester is nice but sleepy. Kind of place to raise your kids, not exactly great for a 20 something... though they do have a BD's near campus... Mmmmmmm.

You need a car in metro Detroit, transit is essentially nonexistent at the moment, but that also opens you up to a lot of options. Plus, housing is cheap. I knew a guy at Wayne who lived in Hamtramck for like 550 a month for a 3 bedroom (which he split with a friend). Suburbs aren't that extreme cheap, but still way better than you'd pay in say, Chicago.

Did you know Rosalind Franklin is much closer to Wisconsin than Chicago? It is easily an hour or more drive to Chicago. Do you have Medical College of Wisconsin on your list? How about Creighton or Rush?

Though clinical years are basically all over Chicago with the exception of the Lovell VA which is right next to the RFU campus. Most students I know live in Lakeview (or Wicker Park before it became over the top expensive) in the city since the the clinical sites are mainly the Advocate system and places like Mt Sinai which are an easy commute, but not the area you'd want to live in.

What are your stats? That's the key to answering this

Really?? I could swear I googled it and it was a 30 minute drive to the city. Thanks for the update.
I do have MCW on my list. I don't have Creighton or Rush because I was told that they look for students that have more involvement with the community....? Accurate advice? who knows.

Last edited:
What are your stats? That's the key to answering this

Just looking for similar schools with similar stats near 32 and 3.8 GPA in urban environments. Essentially looking "safety" schools. I fear my stats may derail the thread a bit resulting in people telling me to apply to schools like NW.

I have my tops already lined up. I listed the schools that I already have on my list so people don't repeat them.

Well Loyola and SLU and Creighton are all run by the Jesuits so their missions are basically the same. You had SLU and Loyola so you might as well think about Creighton. I'm not really sure about Rush but it is smack dab in the heart of Chicago. I don't see MCW on your list but my eyes are tired. I drove by the exit for RFU yesterday on the expressway. It was about 40 minutes north of O'Hare. Of course there was a lot of traffic and it was raining but even in the best of conditions it is at least an hour north of Chicago. Your 3&4 years are all over so you'd probably live in the city for that time.

Jefferson? VCU?

Sadly Jeff is out because they average MCATs :\

VCU isn't a bad option though!

Well Loyola and SLU and Creighton are all run by the Jesuits so their missions are basically the same. You had SLU and Loyola so you might as well think about Creighton. I'm not really sure about Rush but it is smack dab in the heart of Chicago. I don't see MCW on your list but my eyes are tired. I drove by the exit for RFU yesterday on the expressway. It was about 40 minutes north of O'Hare. Of course there was a lot of traffic and it was raining but even in the best of conditions it is at least an hour north of Chicago. Your 3&4 years are all over so you'd probably live in the city for that time.

You're right MCW wasn't posted up there, my bad.

Creighton isn't so bad either.

(I creeped your post history)

Even with them averaging MCATs, you're still at least at their average, so it still might be worth a shot!

(I creeped your post history)

Even with them averaging MCATs, you're still at least at their average, so it still might be worth a shot!

That's very true. I guess applying to one school that averages still isn't that big of a deal.

Jeff is one of those schools where admissions are totally random assuming you have the stats, so it's worth a shot. Agree with most posters above. Rush is also probably worth a shot. Jefferson is VERY urban in an awesome location. Rush's neighborhood is kind of crappy, but it's on two train lines and the busiest bus line in the city, so you could live wherever you wanted.

There really are no safeties. a typical applicant basically has a low probability of getting into any particular school, but with enough schools in your range added together in aggregate, you bring your probability of admission up to a realistic level.

Jeff is one of those schools where admissions are totally random assuming you have the stats, so it's worth a shot. Agree with most posters above. Rush is also probably worth a shot. Jefferson is VERY urban in an awesome location. Rush's neighborhood is kind of crappy, but it's on two train lines and the busiest bus line in the city, so you could live wherever you wanted.

There really are no safeties. a typical applicant basically has a low probability of getting into any particular school, but with enough schools in your range added together in aggregate, you bring your probability of admission up to a realistic level.

Jeff's application number is still pretty high but at this point I don't think it will matter. I seems I probably have a better shot at Jeff than Temple seeing as they have the same number of apps and twice the matriculants. Though Rush (3.3%) does interview at a substantially lower rate than both Jeff (7.4%) and Temple (6.3%) while receiving.

I agree, that's why I put it in quotations. Man I miss undergrad acceptance rates...