Help with MD list. 3.79, 3.82 BCPM, 31 MCAT. NY Res.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thrylos77

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Deleted.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey Guys,
I just got my scores in today and I'd appreciate any input I could get on my list so far. My ECs include the normal research, volunteering and shadowing as well as a part time job during some semesters and club sports.
Let me know what you think. Thanks.

NYMC
Buffalo
SUNY Upstate
Albany
Stony Brook
Rochester
Hofstra
Downstate
Einstein
Thomas Jefferson
Commonwealth
George Washington U
Georgetown
Quinnipiac
Drexel
Penn State
Temple
Tufts
WVU

Congrats on your score!

Tufts is really expensive OOS, right? Might want to keep that in mind.

Rush, Rosalind Franklin, Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW), VCU, Eastern Virginia, and Vermont might be others to consider

You have a good list. The schools are appropriate for your credentials. The only exception would be WVU which strongly favors state residents. It appears you want to stay in the northeast but if that is not an issue schools such as Oakland Beaumont, Western Michigan, Loyola, Tulane and St. Louis would be worth considering in addition to the ones mentioned by Omppu27.

Members don't see this ad :)
You have a good list. The schools are appropriate for your credentials. The only exception would be WVU which strongly favors state residents. It appears you want to stay in the northeast but if that is not an issue schools such as Oakland Beaumont, Western Michigan, Loyola, Tulane and St. Louis would be worth considering in addition to the ones mentioned by Omppu27.

If you've got the $$ then these might be good additions as well. However, keep in mind that Loyola, Tulane, and St. Louis all have median MCATs of 33, with Tulane's 10th percentile at 31... Also, Tulane and Loyola only interview about 4-5% of their OOS applicants.

I appreciate the feedback from both of you. I've done some more research and considered your comments, this is what I've come up with:

NYMC
Buffalo
SUNY Upstate
Albany
Stony Brook
Rochester
Hofstra
Downstate
Einstein
Thomas Jefferson
Commonwealth (PA)
George Washington U
Georgetown
Quinnipiac
Drexel
Penn State
EVMC
VCU
Temple
Vermont
Rutgers (RWJ) - MSAR says that they will start accepting OOS for 2015 entering class
Cooper
WVU

Also, Yes I prefer to stay in the Northeast, that's why I've left out schools like Rush, MCW etc. If I don't get in anywhere in the Northeast I'm fine with taking a gap year and re-applying.

Also, Yes I prefer to stay in the Northeast, that's why I've left out schools like Rush, MCW etc. If I don't get in anywhere in the Northeast I'm fine with taking a gap year and re-applying.

Pretty sure Hofstra has a strong bias for minorities or people who have very extensive work with minorities. Not sure if you're URM though.

Although RWJ says they'll start taking OOS, it'll probably still be a very low %.

Thanks. Any other thoughts? What do you think my chances are at the NY schools?

Goro suggests:

NYMC
Buffalo
SUNY Upstate
Albany
Stony Brook
Rochester
Downstate
Einstein
Thomas Jefferson
Commonwealth
Quinnipiac