WAMC 512/3.79 + help with school list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Silverbutter

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
White (ethnically Arab), both parents were/are? asylum seekers but I was born in the US GPA and MCAT are above, my SGPA is around the same as my overall GPA. the non profit listed prevalently in my application and has both clinical/nonclinical roles and serves an underserved community. state of residence PA

1. One publication another in the works (300 hours total) (not lead author on either)
  2. 400 hours worked in a nonclinical setting (100 at Chipotle 300 at a local nonprofit where I gave out free lunches to kids at school)
  3. my parents opened up a deli during my college years and I spent a decent bit of time translating for them and helping out the store but I don't know where to include this
  4. 700 clinical hours (volunteering 300 (I volunteered at the same nonprofit listed above but in their health care clinic and I volunteered at the same hospital since high school)+ 400 from PCT/healthcare worker at the same low-income clinic I mainly did vitals and check-ins)
  5. two ethics papers completed and working on getting them on a semi-accredited website (like as a hobby)
  6. like 80 hours shadowing, 50 from two family health doctors (one was at the same clinic listed throughout where as the other was a normal one) and 30 from a cardiologist
  7. co-director for a local film company in my city with some friends of mine (we got two films screened and released at a local convention)
  8. conversational in Arabic
  9. President of the premed club for a year
  10. peer tutor for my college/ TA for a bio class
  11. on the national board for a college club
  12. on the Board for a local college club
  13. My friends say that I'm easy to talk to and I'm great at answering questions on the spot (no idea if this is relevant or not but I'm bearing it all rn)
  14. My primary statement is pretty much relating my upbringing as an immigrant who benefited immensely from free health clinics and how I want to pay it back so to speak (I have a great interest in medicine and helping others as well).
  15. letters of Rec from the head at the nonprofit clinical side and from the head cardiologist at a local T1 trauma center.

Ty guys I really don't have any one that can help me with this whole process so the internet has been a great resource!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums.

State of legal residence will help. Please follow the template.

Members don't see this ad :)
My primary statement is pretty much relating my upbringing as an immigrant who benefited immensely from free health clinics and how I want to pay it back so to speak (I have a great interest in medicine and helping others as well).
First question: why medicine and not nursing, PA, pharmacy, dentistry or optometry? We need people on the front lines who want to serve people, and these are professions with highest need and impact in free clinics.

Which professors are writing your letters?

What help has your prehealth advising office given you?

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Do you have any experience volunteering and serving those who are less fortunate than yourself? Many of the schools in your stat range are service heavy schools that will look at the nature of your non clinical volunteering. Could you also clarify if you have any research? It will also come up in interviews. I like your activities and have a few unique factors about your application. I hope you are successful when you apply. I've noted the common "service heavy" schools below so you know which ones they are. I suggest you look into their mission statements and values and determine if your application is in line with their expectations.

Penn State
Sidney Kimmel
Drexel
Temple
Geisinger Commonwealth
Vermont
New York Medical College
Hackensack Meridian
George Washington (service)
Virginia Commonwealth (service)
EVMS
Texas Christian
Albany
Rush (service)
Loyola (service)
Rosalind Franklin
Wayne State
Oakland University William Beaumont
Saint Louis (service)
Medical College of Wisconsin
Tulane (service)
Belmont
Western Michigan Homer Stryker
Wake Forest

Take my suggestions with a grain of salt, as I am not an ADCOM or anything. I might also add/remove others to this list based on some clarifications made to your application.

Reactions: 1 user