Help with ranking programs: UofMN, KUMC, BI NYC , CWRU, Baylor, UK

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ssgniw

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts about how to rank these programs?

University of Minnesota
University of Kansas
Beth Israel-Mount Sinai (in NYC )
Baylor
Case Western Reserve University

I like the curriculum of U of MN and CWRU, and Beth Israel really attracts me for its location. I've heard that Baylor is too service-heavy.

I'm interested in doing fellowship afterwards, and have background in non-basic research.

Any thoughts would be appreciate!

Members don't see this ad.

Care to provide any personal info--amg vs img, part of the country you want to live in, married/single?

Thank you! I'm an IMG, single, prefer New York City, but what I concern the most is the quality of program ( academically and clinically). I really appreciate any input!

Members don't see this ad :)
The only program on that list I went to is Case. That's a very solid program with some great faculty (Furlan is a top stroke researcher, Preston literally wrote the book on EMG, Daroff co-wrote the most used neuro text, etc) and interesting research areas, and in terms of reputation the only one in the same neighborhood on your list is probably Baylor. If it were me Case would be a clear #1 on your list given what I've heard about the atmosphere at Baylor. The residents at Case are diverse and IMG-heavy, and struck me as quite sharp. Cleveland isn't awesome but is far better than it's reputation.

I don't think that BI is in the same class as the others you're listing, it's way down the pecking order in NYC per the people I've talked to there. Can't tell you much about the programs at Minn or KU, though location will probably make or break those places for you.

Last edited:
1. Case, 2. Baylor (if you're willing to bust your butt for all 4 years), 3. KU, 4. UMn, 5. BI-MS

My rationale:
Case is an excellent, growing, up-and-coming program. They treat their residents well. You start off with an excellent internal medicine education. Neurology education is supplemented well w/ didactic time and a neuroscience refresher course that is really unique to Case. They have huge names at their institution. Their stroke team is godly. Subspecialties are well represented and they send their residents to excellent fellowships. Research is plentiful and readily available. Cleveland, however, sucks. If you can get around that, I'd argue Case is on equal footing w/ Cleveland Clinic, if not better. It's a top program, and with better marketing, would be easily recognized as such.

Baylor has developed a reputation for being "malignant." They are only malignant in the sense that they have a seemingly overwhelming workload. Yet, dedicated residents make it through the program every year. They have great research backing, good subspecialty representation, diverse patient population, and place their residents into fellowships well. The "Baylor" name is well respected in the field. Yet, not everyone wants to work that much, so this program probably isn't for everyone. You probably won't get a lot of time for electives, though, which is a big downside. Still, I would recommend it if you are considering a stroke, NCC, or neurohospitalist career.

University of Kansas is a strong, up-and-coming program, in an up-and-coming city. They keep expanding every year, and University of Kansas is a respectable name, especially in the Midwest. It's a decent sized program with dedicated and intelligent residents, good subspecialty representation, and ample research opportunities. KC BBQ is amazing, and regardless of what anyone else says, is the best BBQ in the country.

University of Minnesota has a lot of resources, but they seemed to have some faculty shifts in the past couple of years. I thought the program had a great feel to it, and provided for an excellent well-rounded education in neurology. Minnesota is cold. Really cold. There is lots of snow. This may or may not affect your decision. They have great facilities though. And the city is pretty happening, and hopefully, they have the Lightrail up and running.

Don't know much about Beth Israel - Mount Sinai in NYC, so I put it last.

Hope this helps, but this is pretty much purely one person's opinion.

Reactions: 1 user
BI may be at the bottom of the pecking order in NYC, but Kansas is completely off the radar. It's also highly regarded in movement disorders, if you're interested in that. If you want to end up in a competitive city, it's better to go to either a local program in that city or one with a strong national reputation (like case or baylor).

Reactions: 1 user
I get the feeling Tandra is trying to knock BI off of other people's radar based on his/her only 3 posts so far.

I have no intent to knock of someone. I had interviews in all the places except baylor in this thread. I was looking for some pointers from the one who started this thread in case he matched at bi.