Help With School List Please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WhiteCoat2016

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!!
If you can suggest some schools I can apply to for the 2015 cycle, that would be great!

Asian Female, international (Canadian)
Undergrad Institution: Top 5 US Liberal Arts
Science/Overall GPA: 3.87/3.89 (my sophomore year was pretty bad--tried to do too much; grades in freshman and junior year are almost perfect)
MCAT: score not yet out :/
Experience: Lived in 4 countries (each for one or more year(s))
Language: Native fluency in 3 + OK Spanish

EC: Lots of research (5 summer internships (with this upcoming summer), including Penn State, UCLA, Harvard Medical School, with 2 HHMI-funded awards total; 2-3 semesters of research at home institution, then one year at Oxford; one publication pending in Nature as third authors; some minor presentations for HHMI and at Oxford); shadowing + medical volunteering about 250-300h; wrote for campus weekly newspaper for 3 semesters and 1 semester of TA in Genetics; rowed at Oxford for first women's boat at college (we're Div I top 5) 250h, then went to Ecuador for 2 months (6 weeks in jungle for community service, then 2 weeks mobile clinics), one minor internship 100h for a nonprofit in AIDS...

LOR: 1 from UCLA lab, 3 from home institution, 1 from Oxford (the professor really like me in one of my classes). So I asked a Spanish professor (beginners and intermediate) to write one of my letters. Is it looked down upon since it's not a very important subject? (Personally I thought it was an important letter because Spanish is the 4th language I am learning and I am really passionate about medicine in Latin America). I need a non-science letter and didn't know who to ask...

I know the MCAT is a big determining factor, but I have to choose schools before my scores are out. All suggestions welcome! Because I am international, I cannot apply to most state school.

Thanks! :3

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest that you apply to a single throwaway school and scour the MSAR for the 62 MD schools that accept international applicants while you wait for your MCAT results.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
So should I wait until I get my MCAT score to choose most of my schools?

So should I wait until I get my MCAT score to choose most of my schools?
You can begin the investigation. Many of the 62 schools interview and matriculate only a couple (that they already know beforehand). You can narrow it down and begin pre-writing secondaries for the ones whose median MCAT you believe will be near yours.

Reactions: 1 user