Help With School List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Katt2015

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long time SDN lurker here looking for some help with my out of state school list.

Texas Resident
GPA= 3.61
MCAT= 500
URM (AA, Female)
Shadowing= Over 200 hours
Tutor for 3 years- biology, math, stats, health
Volunteering (non-clinical)- Every summer since high school I have worked with a wellness foundation and we put on free of charge basketball camps for kids in underprivileged areas. We also put on various diabetes, heart health and breast cancer awareness seminars and screenings in black communities.

School List:
-All Texas Schools
-Baylor
-Howard
-Georgetown
-Tulane
-Washington U. St. Louis
I feel like I should be aiming lower.....much lower

Members don't see this ad.

Long time SDN lurker here looking for some help with my out of state school list.

Texas Resident
GPA= 3.61
MCAT= 500
URM (AA, Female)
Shadowing= Over 200 hours
Tutor for 3 years- biology, math, stats, health
Volunteering (non-clinical)- Every summer since high school I have worked with a wellness foundation and we put on free of charge basketball camps for kids in underprivileged areas. We also put on various diabetes, heart health and breast cancer awareness seminars and screenings in black communities.

School List:
-All Texas Schools
-Baylor
-Howard
-Georgetown
-Tulane
-Washington U. St. Louis
I feel like I should be aiming lower.....much lower

https://www.aamc.org/download/321514/data/factstablea24-2.pdf

As this table shows, with your current stats you have a ~70% of getting an acceptance somewhere. As a Texas student, it doesn't usually make much sense to apply to too many schools OOS, so I think so far, your school list looks pretty good. I think you're aiming right where you should be.

Edit: @WedgeDawg move to WAMC

Members don't see this ad :)
You have no business at all applying to Baylor or WUSL. You will be throwing away several hundred $ in application fees for a .00001% shot.

Obviously apply to every In-State for Texas, but realize that your MCAT is well below the 10% mark for almost every single MD school in the US. Yes URM helps but with an MCAT/GPA that low, I think you'd need some amazing extracurricular experiences to compensate, even as a URM applicant. I'd also recommend looking into D.O.

2nd dermpire did you look at the average scores for these schools? Even Tulane has a bottom 10th percentile of 508 (30), a full 8 points above your score.

You'll have a shot at Texas schools and the HBCs, but aside from that there are very few MD schools you should be applying to.