Help with the LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LMav

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey

I am just getting geared up with the application process. Beacuse i am new to the regulations in US schools, I am all confused about the LOR and the matching form :( . Is there any particular form for the LOR or is it just on a letter head? Do my professors have to send the LORs directly to the AADSAS or can I have the LORs from them in advance and send it along with the application. What is the matching form for? Could anyone please help me out, I feel like I am totally lost.I really appreciate your help :) .

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

LMav said:
Hey

I am just getting geared up with the application process. Beacuse i am new to the regulations in US schools, I am all confused about the LOR and the matching form :( . Is there any particular form for the LOR or is it just on a letter head? Do my professors have to send the LORs directly to the AADSAS or can I have the LORs from them in advance and send it along with the application. What is the matching form for? Could anyone please help me out, I feel like I am totally lost.I really appreciate your help :) .

Thanks in advance.

Alright, the LOR should be written on the most formal letterhead your recommender has access to, but naturally this will vary depending on the writer. The letter itself can basically be formatted in any manner, though generally speaking the writer will address it "to whom it may concern," followed by why you would be qualified for dental school, or what they've seen you do/say that makes you likely to succeed. Basically, they talk you up, but this is pretty obvious. End with sincerely, etc...

Sending the letters: depending on your school there are several options of what to do with the letters.
1) have a signed and sealed copy mailed directly by the writer to each school (good for few schools, but gets messy/$ with more), make sure there is a signuature across the flap of the letter,
2) have the writer send a copy to your school's career office, where you will likely have to open an account (they will hold copies and send them out to whatever school as requested or send them to AADSAS which will duplicate and forward to your selected schools),
3) have a single letter written by the pre-health advisory committee at your school (if you have one) and then have them send to the schools or AADSAS.

From the ADEA website:

A word about Matching Forms: Matching forms for Letters of Evaluation and transcripts are included in the AADSAS 2006 application. Applicants are strongly encouraged not to submit letters or transcripts to AADSAS before the start of the application cycle in mid-May 2005. Applicants who have no option but to submit credentials early should contact ADEA Customer Service (at 800-353-2237, 202-289-7201 or [email protected]) for instructions.

The matching for is like a tag for the mental midgets over at AADSAS to figure out which letter goes with which application. Keep in mind that 10K applicants x (3+ letters) x (8+ schools/applicant) = ~240,000 letters to keep track of.

My Advice: DO NOT use AADSAS to forward you transcripts or LORs b/c as the aforementioned math exercise demonstrated, they have too much to keep track of and you'll get your app processed by your school sooner if they've already got them.

I'm in the same situation. I've have two professors who will write me a LOR but want me to pick it up by the first week of May. I'm thinking of making my own matching form and having them fill it out and attaching it to the sealed envelope, which I will then send out to AADSAS when the application starts. Does anyone know if this has been done before (I think I rember somebody mentioned having done this before)?

Members don't see this ad :)
Mr.E said:
I'm in the same situation. I've have two professors who will write me a LOR but want me to pick it up by the first week of May. I'm thinking of making my own matching form and having them fill it out and attaching it to the sealed envelope, which I will then send out to AADSAS when the application starts. Does anyone know if this has been done before (I think I rember somebody mentioned having done this before)?

yes I did this. I just typed up a matching form -esque form on word and gave it to my professor.

eran76 said:
Alright, the LOR should be written on the most formal letterhead your recommender has access to, but naturally this will vary depending on the writer. The letter itself can basically be formatted in any manner, though generally speaking the writer will address it "to whom it may concern," followed by why you would be qualified for dental school, or what they've seen you do/say that makes you likely to succeed. Basically, they talk you up, but this is pretty obvious. End with sincerely, etc...

Sending the letters: depending on your school there are several options of what to do with the letters.
1) have a signed and sealed copy mailed directly by the writer to each school (good for few schools, but gets messy/$ with more), make sure there is a signuature across the flap of the letter,
2) have the writer send a copy to your school's career office, where you will likely have to open an account (they will hold copies and send them out to whatever school as requested or send them to AADSAS which will duplicate and forward to your selected schools),
3) have a single letter written by the pre-health advisory committee at your school (if you have one) and then have them send to the schools or AADSAS.

From the ADEA website:

A word about Matching Forms: Matching forms for Letters of Evaluation and transcripts are included in the AADSAS 2006 application. Applicants are strongly encouraged not to submit letters or transcripts to AADSAS before the start of the application cycle in mid-May 2005. Applicants who have no option but to submit credentials early should contact ADEA Customer Service (at 800-353-2237, 202-289-7201 or [email protected]) for instructions.

The matching for is like a tag for the mental midgets over at AADSAS to figure out which letter goes with which application. Keep in mind that 10K applicants x (3+ letters) x (8+ schools/applicant) = ~240,000 letters to keep track of.

My Advice: DO NOT use AADSAS to forward you transcripts or LORs b/c as the aforementioned math exercise demonstrated, they have too much to keep track of and you'll get your app processed by your school sooner if they've already got them.

I really appreciate your help. I am planning applying to a number of schools (8 or 9 as i really want to get into a dental school). My main concern is whether i should go thru the AADSAS or not. My predental advisor is my enemy and he is never helpful. I dont think he will give a great LOR. So i think i should go for the second option but again i will have to contact my school.
Is it possible for me get those LORs and post it myself?
Thanks in advance.