Hematology and Oncology prospects?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm only an MS1 and I go to a DO school.

I wanted to inquire first on the competitiveness and job prospects of a IM-boarded Hematologist ( Non-Onco dual board) and Onco( Non-Heme) as compared to dual Heme/Onco. Likewise whether it is actually reasonable to be employed as someone single boarded?

Likewise I wanted to inquire in general what a DO might have to do to be competitive for either of the three?

I don't really know much about the field, with the exception that the biology and academics of it seem interesting and that apparently the "red book" residency quiz says that my highest match is hematology and or medical genetics ( feel free to inform me that this is an unreasonable basis to determine an interest in the fields lol).

Members don't see this ad.

Single board hem in my opinion is a bad idea. Likely only places looking for single board Heme would be academic places. Very limited job market.

Single board Onc is maybe a little better but will still limit your job prospects.

(This is my general impression- I have not studied the job market intently, so if someone knows better, please jump in).

Therefore, the best strategy, which is true for many fields - get great grades, especially in IM clerkship, crush your Steps, try to do some research if possible, get into most reputable academic IM possible, then into most reputable Hem/Onc program possible.

After that, decide which boards you want to take/ keep as you have a better idea of what kind of job you want/ are competitive for. .

Also, I may be misunderstanding your question, but as far as I know, most, if not all, fellowships are dual Hem/Onc. You can choose once you're at that point which board certification to pursue. My program had the option of single boarding for more research time, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you have an academic career locked up.

When you're outside the academic world, most people will expect you to have both certifications.

As for academic interests/ biology/ genetics making this field suitable - absolutely, although there are clearly other things involved.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
not try to do research if possible... you must do research to be considered competitive...hem/onc stresses research and publications...and as a DO it will be even more difficult since its pretty competitive for USMDs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Shadow a heme/onc doctor at your institute. That's the best way to determine if that's the right field for you and potential research opportunities. You are only an MS1, so don't worry too much. You might end up not even doing IM, let alone subpspecializing heme/onco.

Shadow a heme/onc doctor at your institute. That's the best way to determine if that's the right field for you and potential research opportunities. You are only an MS1, so don't worry too much. You might end up not even doing IM, let alone subpspecializing heme/onco.

I think I will. Apparently we have a pretty famous guy as our Dept of IM head and he's a Onc/Heme. But yah, I have no doubts that it might not be for me. I've always been very set on psychiatry, but recently and after going through a few systems I've gained a bit more of an interest in concrete systems in the body.

But yah, I'll look into possibly shadowing. I'm just worried that as a DO I might not be able to necessarily have a realistic shot at Heme/Onc.

I think I will. Apparently we have a pretty famous guy as our Dept of IM head and he's a Onc/Heme. But yah, I have no doubts that it might not be for me. I've always been very set on psychiatry, but recently and after going through a few systems I've gained a bit more of an interest in concrete systems in the body.

But yah, I'll look into possibly shadowing. I'm just worried that as a DO I might not be able to necessarily have a realistic shot at Heme/Onc.

Don't worry about that now. You are far from needing to worry about heme/onco. Focus on doing well in school and exploring your interests. The rest will take care of itself. IM is not difficult to get into, which you need to do first before heme/onco fellowship.

Don't worry about that now. You are far from needing to worry about heme/onco. Focus on doing well in school and exploring your interests. The rest will take care of itself. IM is not difficult to get into, which you need to do first before heme/onco fellowship.
I also think you have a chance if you really want to do it.

As for the "definitely" do research - I went back and edited my post to include research (forgot it entirely first time around) so perhaps the word "try" was too weak.

Summer between M1 and M2 year is pretty great time to do research in hemonc if you can get the opportunity.

If not, you still have a shot in residency.

I also think you have a chance if you really want to do it.

As for the "definitely" do research - I went back and edited my post to include research (forgot it entirely first time around) so perhaps the word "try" was too weak.

Summer between M1 and M2 year is pretty great time to do research in hemonc if you can get the opportunity.

If not, you still have a shot in residency.

Well I have worked in research before going to medical school and hopefully I'll get a publishing sometime this year when the project finally finishes lol. But yah, I intend on doing a few months of research my 3rd or 4th year for sure.

Well I have worked in research before going to medical school and hopefully I'll get a publishing sometime this year when the project finally finishes lol. But yah, I intend on doing a few months of research my 3rd or 4th year for sure.
hem/onc research, not just some research...and publications and presentations at conferences (mind you most of this would be in your residency not during med school)...look at the fellowship stats on the norm for hem/onc..they have one of the highest average for publications (they like MD/PHd as well, but not as much as rad onc does...).

hem/onc research, not just some research...and publications and presentations at conferences (mind you most of this would be in your residency not during med school)...look at the fellowship stats on the norm for hem/onc..they have one of the highest average for publications (they like MD/PHd as well, but not as much as rad onc does...).

Good advice. I wouldn't freak out, but yes this will make you more competitive.

I came from prePhD and had pubs in undergrad, was funded for a research year in medical school. and so research was a pretty strong part of my application. I never worried about the research part of my application.

But there are lots of IM programs, as well as lots of fellowships. Just start looking for research opportunities, get GREAT grades, GREAT step scores. Control what you can control and don't worry about the rest.

Get to know that IM HemOnc faculty and foster that relationship. Ask him/her for advice. Then follow it to the T.

I also know Onc fellows with no pubs - not that I recommend purposely avoiding that hard work, but don't despair.

When you're looking at IM programs, favor those with fellowships at same institution, or a good track record of placements. This will help you become a known commodity at least to those fellowship programs and may nearly erase any negative thoughts regarding DO.

But they will still look at objective data like test scores and grades so make sure those rock.