Hennepin Healthcare FM Residency (Minneapolis) - a lot of IMGs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hsk013

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering about the quality of the Hennepin Healthcare residency program.

I just assumed their FM program was strong because their EM program has such a good reputation here. But I was surprised to see that all FM PGY-1 are IMG (except 1). IM residency is similar - about half are DOs and IMGs/FMGs.

Has anyone heard anything about their FM program? And any insight as to why their residents are all IMGs? I thought since Minneapolis is a big city, the competition might be fierce. Maybe I'm missing something here...

Members don't see this ad.

And any insight as to why their residents are all IMGs? I thought since Minneapolis is a big city, the competition might be fierce. Maybe I'm missing something here...

Just a guess, but...

DD1A43BE-84D7-4D24-ADF5-FF5E5D469C84.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard anything about their FM program? And any insight as to why their residents are all IMGs? I thought since Minneapolis is a big city, the competition might be fierce. Maybe I'm missing something here...

Lol, to be frank, that one non-IMG is probably the one who struggled to match at any other place and ended up there vs. the other guys who make up that program. Just an observation based on similar programs around the country.

Regardless, not here to disrespect the cause, your question is rather inflammatory (or framed that way).

Reactions: 2 users
Lol, to be frank, that one non-IMG is probably the one who struggled to match at any other place and ended up there vs. the other guys who make up that program. Just an observation based on similar programs around the country.

Regardless, not here to disrespect the cause, your question is rather inflammatory (or framed that way).
A program that fills with primarily IMGs (especially in FM or IM) is a weak program. There's nothing inflammatory about that, it is simply fact.

A program that fills with primarily IMGs (especially in FM or IM) is a weak program. There's nothing inflammatory about that, it is simply fact.

May I ask why this is? Just curious

May I ask why this is? Just curious
The variability in medical education is often too great to risk by taking IMG's. USMD students will by-and-large have very similar educational standards, as is the case with USDO students - although to a lesser extent. You will find that the programs that most people consider to be highly prestigious, like Yale, Harvard, Johns Hopkins, etc, will be taking almost primarily USMD's. Therefore, you can surmise that if a program has all IMG's that they must be a weak program, as it is everyone's assumption that they had a hard time filling their program with a much more known quantity and quality of USMD or DO students.

I stumbled across this as I was looking for FM job hunting advice. Glad I found this forum.

I am an HCMC senior resident. Our program is bleeping tough! People choose HCMC for it's rigor, diverse pt population, and because we see it all from Zebras, news stories, to bread and butter. We have no inpatient census cap unlike the other services. We work right up to the 80hr per week max consistently. As a senior resident starting G2 year, you run the service on your own with faculty backup, in house. You are responsible for Peds, OB and adult medicine admits. List is 15-25 usually. You manage 1 intern. Here are the diagnoses we treated on our inpatient service last week:

-Pulmonary nodule without clear cause, suspect bacterial

-GI bleed in the setting of an intracardiac thrombus

-Pulmonary blastomycosis

-Suicidality with intentional glass ingestion

-Alcohol intoxication leading to hip fracture needing surgery, with atrial fibrillation requiring diltiazem drip, presumptive diagnosis of HCAP

-Suicidality with ingestion of unknown substance with fevers found to have UTI and diverticulitis

-Colo-vesicular fistula with pyelonephritis

-Subcutaneous emphysema (unknown etiology), with a fib w/ RVR (given adenosine), inguinal hernia

-Epiglottitis following surgery with new diagnosis of Hashimoto's thyroiditis

-MRSA pneumonia in patient with obstructive sleep apnea and obesity related hypoventilation

-40# unintentional weight loss (unknown etiology)-full work-up unrevealing

-Calciphylaxis with bleeding wounds

-Steatorrhea

-Wernicke's encephalopathy with rapid response to IV thiamine

You will be surprised by how much you learn after a block on service. One block of inpatient family medicine, HCMC ED and weekly clinic visits made Step 3 easy.

Good luck OP with your residency search!

Reactions: 1 user
I stumbled across this as I was looking for FM job hunting advice. Glad I found this forum.

I am an HCMC senior resident. Our program is bleeping tough! People choose HCMC for it's rigor, diverse pt population, and because we see it all from Zebras, news stories, to bread and butter. We have no inpatient census cap unlike the other services. We work right up to the 80hr per week max consistently. As a senior resident starting G2 year, you run the service on your own with faculty backup, in house. You are responsible for Peds, OB and adult medicine admits. List is 15-25 usually. You manage 1 intern. Here are the diagnoses we treated on our inpatient service last week:

-Pulmonary blastomycosis

-Alcohol intoxication leading to hip fracture needing surgery, with atrial fibrillation requiring diltiazem drip, presumptive diagnosis of HCAP

-Suicidality with ingestion of unknown substance with fevers found to have UTI and diverticulitis

-Subcutaneous emphysema (unknown etiology), with a fib w/ RVR (given adenosine), inguinal hernia

-MRSA pneumonia in patient with obstructive sleep apnea and obesity related hypoventilation

-Steatorrhea

You will be surprised by how much you learn after a block on service. One block of inpatient family medicine, HCMC ED and weekly clinic visits made Step 3 easy.

No offense to you personally but your program sounds awful. Glad you enjoy it, though. I'll take my mental health and time spent with family over that sweatshop you just described any day of the week.

Reactions: 6 users
I disagree that a program that takes 100% IMGs is malignant. Most likely the PD was an IMG and has some bias towards them. There are plenty of these programs in competitive areas like NYC that most US med students would love a shot at. Remember most IMGs that match are not those with board failure, etc. They do very well on their boards and excel in their country of origin.

I disagree that a program that takes 100% IMGs is malignant. Most likely the PD was an IMG and has some bias towards them. There are plenty of these programs in competitive areas like NYC that most US med students would love a shot at. Remember most IMGs that match are not those with board failure, etc. They do very well on their boards and excel in their country of origin.
You've confused the meaning of "most likely" here. Most likely they are malignant. For a select few, like in NYC, it could be due to PD ties.

You've confused the meaning of "most likely" here. Most likely they are malignant. For a select few, like in NYC, it could be due to PD ties.
Not so sure. There are many US grads who go unmatched every year who would LOVE a shot at these places - malignant or not. To not match any US grads is probably due to bias.

Reactions: 1 users

-Pulmonary blastomycosis

-Steatorrhea

You can still learn a lot if you dont work 80 hours a week consistently....

I wouldnt have a ranked a program like your’s high for that reason. I love my constant goldens.

Reactions: 2 users
Depends where IMG are from. Top school in a decent country vs some meh place. Programs that have the staff in place to accept and processes IMG visa do so because let us just be honest.. .. alot of iMG>>>>>>> USA applicants.

• Haha
Depends where IMG are from. Top school in a decent country vs some meh place. Programs that have the staff in place to accept and processes IMG visa do so because let us just be honest.. .. alot of iMG>>>>>>> USA applicants.
Better because they have experience...
however, most programs dont want or need IMG/FMGs