hepatitis c treatment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cage92

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
can anyone give info about treatment of hepatits c depending on genotypes in uworld??( i didnt do uword yet) bcz i didnt find good information form google and uptodate and mtb each one give different combination

Members don't see this ad.

can anyone give info about treatment of hepatits c depending on genotypes in uworld??( i didnt do uword yet) bcz i didnt find good information form google and uptodate and mtb each one give different combination

Uptodate is most reliable even more than Uworld

Reactions: 1 user
I doubt we would have to know any of the below details for step 2, but here they are. I've not missed any uworld questions on HCV and the extent of my knowledge is knowing how to pick that drug with "avir" at the end. Vast majority of questions I've had are about disease state based on antigen/antibody presence.

Genotype 1:
Atvrl_trtm_HCV_gntyp_1_infc.gif

Genotype 2:
Antiviral_TX_HCV_genotype_2.gif

3:

Antiviral_TX_HCV_genotype_3.gif

Genotypes 4, 5, and 6 are mostly in Africa and East Asia where data and resources are more limited.
Some interferon-free regimens have demonstrated efficacy for genotypes 4 and 6, but these may not be widely available because of cost or other issues. Other regimens for genotypes 4, 5, and 6 continue to include peginterferon and ribavirin. The decision to treat a patient at this time or await availability of interferon-free regimens should take into account the expected efficacy and adverse effects of available regimens, history of prior antiviral therapy, the current liver disease stage, extrahepatic manifestations, and patient preference. (See 'Deciding when to treat' above.)

●Effective interferon-free regimens for genotype 4 infection include ledipasvir-sofosbuvir for 12 weeks, ombitasvir-paritaprevir-ritonavir plus weight-based ribavirin for 12 weeks, and sofosbuvir plus weight-based ribavirin for 24 weeks. The choice between them depends primarily on potential for drug interactions, availability, and cost. If these are not issues, we suggest ledipasvir-sofosbuvir (Grade 2C). If interferon-free regimens are not available, 12 weeks of sofosbuvir plus peginterferon and weight-based ribavirin is also highly effective for treatment-naïve patients but has the added toxicity of peginterferon. Furthermore, the efficacy of this regimen is uncertain in treatment-experienced patients. (See 'Genotype 4' above.)

●Data on treatment of genotype 5 infection are extremely limited. For patients with genotype 5 infection who are initiating treatment now, we suggest sofosbuvir plus peginterferon and weight-based ribavirin for 12 weeks (Grade 2C). For patients who do not have access to sofosbuvir, the alternative regimen is 48 weeks of peginterferon and ribavirin. (See 'Genotype 5' above.)

●Data on treatment of genotype 6 infection is limited. For patients with genotype 6 infection who are initiating treatment now, we suggest ledipasvir-sofosbuvir for 12 weeks (Grade 2C). If this interferon-free regimen is cost-prohibitive or otherwise unavailable, the 12 week regimen of sofosbuvir plus peginterferon and weight-based ribavirin is also expected to be highly effective in the treatment-naïve. (See 'Genotype 6' above.)

●Interferon-free regimens are generally well tolerated, although the potential for drug interactions should be reviewed. Ribavirin is potentially teratogenic, so two effective forms of contraception should be used by both men and women of child-conceiving potential during and six months after treatment with ribavirin-containing regimens. Peginterferon and ribavirin are associated with a number of other side effects. These issues are discussed in detail elsewhere. (See "Direct-acting antivirals for the treatment of hepatitis C virus infection" and "Management of the side effects of peginterferon and ribavirin used for treatment of chronic hepatitis C virus infection".)

do you think it is important all drugs ? or know the idea as interferon with ribavirin with proteose inhibi

Members don't see this ad :)
LMAO

Told myself to look over UTD for Hep C later this evening... I just scrolled down and saw the algorithms.

Yeah not going to waste my time.

FWIW I got a uworld question today about a chronic Hep C pt who had been in remission but a year later had elevated HCV RNA. The wrong answer was "start antiviral therapy", the right was "do a liver biopsy". I guess that's a key point cause the pathology changes treatment. If you notice in all the algorithms one of the first branch points is always "cirrhosis or not?" But I seriously doubt it is worth our time to memorize drug regimens. That stuff is changing monthly..

Reactions: 1 users
FWIW I got a uworld question today about a chronic Hep C pt who had been in remission but a year later had elevated HCV RNA. The wrong answer was "start antiviral therapy", the right was "do a liver biopsy". I guess that's a key point cause the pathology changes treatment. If you notice in all the algorithms one of the first branch points is always "cirrhosis or not?" But I seriously doubt it is worth our time to memorize drug regimens. That stuff is changing monthly..

+1 FWIW I'm in hepatology clinic this week & next. I've seen ~ 10 chronic HepC pts in two days. The fellows & attending have had to look up the indicated regimens & evidence levels on almost every pt, and also give the pt the option to continue to put off tx for up to another 1-2 years to wait on all of the new ones currently in trials.