Hesitant to apply due to no research. Should I apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

veinsgopop

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am not sure whether I should apply this year or not due to my chances. Here’s what I have.

My GPA is 3.58 total. Science is 3.666 @ UC Irvine as a Chemistry Major.
My MCAT scores are around 25.
I have no research experience although I had multiple laboratory classes teaching about instruments used in research.
Despite that, I held leadership experiences (secretary in a small club) and was involved in school events (the band).
I have over 300+ hours of clinical shadowing experience in the ICU & ER @ County Hospital.
During my college career I worked at an optometry(2 months), retail pharmacy as a clerk (1 year), volunteered at a PT clinic assisting autistic children (80hrs).
Currently, I am working full time as a pharmacy technician and soaking in the hospital experience.

My goal is to become a doctor who specializes in family practice and attend a school that focuses on serving the underserved. I would like to stay in California but am willing to move out of Cali. What are my chances of getting in? Should I apply this year?

Members don't see this ad.

With that MCAT score, I would apply to DO schools only. Maybe just a couple of MD schools.

Focus on raising that MCAT. Expect to go out of state. I would take year off and get research exp and use it to improve any others you are weak in like non-medical community service and etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
In fact, many schools do not give a damn to research experience. Many state schools happen to fall in this category. So, you can go ahead and apply.