HEYY! BOSTON U & New Jersey DENTAL students out there!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

A6project

bold yet faithful
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for wonderful replies!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I went to BU dental. For a while, I only said good things about my school, but honestly BU is a terrible school. It is extremely cut-throat. Academic integrity is non-existent, and the clinical experience is unnecessarily nightmarish. Tons of unnecessary work for very little experience: 6 crowns, 2 extractions, 1 simulated root canal. I don't understand how they still are accredited. Oh yeah, the Dean also chairs the Commission on Dental Accreditation.

Unless you are looking to marry a clinical instructor on your way to a degree to become a crappy dentist, I'd stay away unless you have no choice, or you like that kind of system. And yes, it is a fact, two of my clinical instructors married their students.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
As far as I know there is no official policy at the dental school specifically prohibiting it. The dental school's clinical faculty often socialize with students outside of school, going to bars, attending concerts, and yes dating. A couple friends I went to school with dated instructors and at least one actually married one of her clinical instructors. Their Facebook page is published on the internet. They have since moved away, but there is another clinical instructor still employed at the school who married one of his students some 10 years ago. It is no secret, he proudly displays a picture of them on his desk at school like a trophy. If there is a policy against it, there doesn't seem to be any consequences.

Last edited:
I went to BU dental. For a while, I only said good things about my school, but honestly BU is a terrible school. It is extremely cut-throat. Academic integrity is non-existent, and the clinical experience is unnecessarily nightmarish. Tons of unnecessary work for very little experience. 6 crowns, 2 extractions, 1 simulated root canal. I don't understand how they still are accredited.

Unless you are looking to marry a clinical instructor on your way to a degree, I'd stay away unless you have no choice, or you like that kind of system. And yes, it is a fact, two of my clinical instructors married their students.

interesting how you just went on an anti-bu rant on multiple threads on an account you just made today.

bad day at clinic or got a rejection letter today?

Reactions: 1 user
Na, like I said, I used to only say good things about my school but I just had enough. Someone needed to speak up, and I was answering a member's question on the school's dating policy. If these were minor infractions, I would not take the effort to post about it, plus these are the least serious of BU's problems.

After 4 years there, I think I know more about BU Dental than 99.9% of the people who will read this thread. Facts are facts. I could get sued for making false statements about the school but this is all true and is public knowledge there. Trust me, I'm limiting myself in my criticism of BU dental and the things I share can be verified by multiple sources. Do some research before attempting to publicly discredit my post, because you are full of hot air and have no idea what you are talking about. I may be new to this forum but everything I have said in all my posts is demonstrably true and documented in many forms my friend. I can and will provide futher physical proof if it becomes necessary.

Last edited:
Everything budentite said is very true and more. Their board review is a joke. A grad who hadn't pass the board in three tries was in charge of our board review. Luckily, I had friends from Harvard and Tufts with their far superior review notes and recent unreleased/unofficial exams to make life easier. Their patients disbursement system is a joke. One student can graduate with only 5 crowns completed while another can graduate with 50 crowns completed. Every year you hear of faculty losing their license due to insurance fraud, DUI, etc. I can go on for pages but you get the drift. You will do just fine going to BU because you pay them way too much to let yourself not succeed in a big way. However, pick them as your last or only choice.

I am not sure if New Jersey is any better because their school is famous for cheating scandals and their state is well known for being the most corrupted state in America.

It's interesting and I'm wondering if you reside in Arizona, why did you pick Boston University and New Jersey University?

Word.

I found out because I'm a level 5 stalker.

It also says "Arizona" under your Username.

effin hell, this thread is quite discouraging for a person about to start BU.
Although people irl have generally said good things about BU, including dentists who graduated there and have nothing to do with admissions...
oh well, we'll see

Members don't see this ad :)
effin hell, this thread is quite discouraging for a person about to start BU.
Although people irl have generally said good things about BU, including dentists who graduated there and have nothing to do with admissions...
oh well, we'll see

If BU's your only choice, then so be it. You'll do just fine playing their games and serving your four years there. Your choice of school will in no way determine your success for the rest of your life. You'll do just fine.

I went to BU dental. For a while, I only said good things about my school, but honestly BU is a terrible school. It is extremely cut-throat. Academic integrity is non-existent, and the clinical experience is unnecessarily nightmarish. Tons of unnecessary work for very little experience: 6 crowns, 2 extractions, 1 simulated root canal. I don't understand how they still are accredited. Oh yeah, the Dean also chairs the Commission on Dental Accreditation.

Unless you are looking to marry a clinical instructor on your way to a degree to become a crappy dentist, I'd stay away unless you have no choice, or you like that kind of system. And yes, it is a fact, two of my clinical instructors married their students.

thats the grad requirement for those areas?!??! ridiculous. i'm across town at tufts and even i have heard about the faculty/student stuff.

Remember, posts/cores also count to your "6 crowns" requirement, and you get partial credit for inserting other students' crowns, so you could graduate having actually performed just a couple crowns or a single bridge.

...and zero root canals. but if you "ho it up" and "work" some sleezy faculty, or you get a specific race changing operation, the requirements could be lowered even more.

one of my best friends graduated without coming close to reaching certain quotas, but he was so valuable to the school that they were willing to commit fraud to retain his enrollment and graduation. with a major in sociology and before attending a single day of dental school, in order to secure his enrollment at BU (Tufts offered a lucrative package), he was guaranteed a spot in the school's post-doc orthodontic program, as long as he passed the board and maintained a 3.0gpa (a competetive ortho applicant is in the top 5% of his class with exceptional board scores).

most of my class found out about this secret during the final weeks before graduation, but i've known about this since the beginning of first year, and told no one but a therapist, even after the secret came out. this is how far the school goes to recruit and retain underrepresented minorities. and don't even think about using the diversity argument because 40% of the DMD degrees the school awards goes to Indians (who plan on practicing in this country since they are already dentists in their home country).

BU picks and chooses who they help, who they screw; who they accommodate, who they won't tolerate.

Racism, cronyism, nepotism, capitalism, and politics at it's best in 2011, and thriving.

Last edited:

Ha,ha,ha, LOL nothing has changed since the late 80's to early 90's. Although, requirements were higher back then. Around 12 crowns and 3 sets of dentures, partials, 3-5 RCT (none simulated back then). So true about instructors dating and marrying students. Happened while I was there too. And the cheating & nepotism of course.

Ha,ha,ha, LOL nothing has changed since the late 80's to early 90's.

Do they still have those mysterious a/c malfunction that shuts down the school on those Jewish holidays? Are Jews still allowed to reschedule their exam but someone else in the gourney at the hospital is forced to come in to take their exam or else fail? Welcome to the real world at BU Dental.

Careful about the Jewish comments. I completely understand what you are saying but other people who have not been shocked with first hand experienced at BU will have a hard time understanding the things that go on there, and may incorrectly discredit you. It should be said, these people at BU are not bad because they are Jews, they are just bad people who happen to take pride in their Jewish heritage. BU was founded by and is controlled by Jews, and yes, they get favorable treatment.

One of the greatest cheating schemes I've ever come across is totally related to the faux examination policy you alluded to at BU that Gentiles aren't privy to. A Jewish girl would take the exam early (no problem), and immediately after the exam her friends would be waiting for her downstairs and she would tell them which old exams to study, which questions were on the exam (since they are just repeated from previous years' exams), and what material to omit. I actually witnessed this happening on the 3rd floor of the dental school, and then I had to vomit. Some of the participants are friends of mine. Any teacher that allows a student to see the identical exam before it is administered to the rest of the class is compliant in the scheme, whether he knows of it or not.

That school has by far the most ethno-centric environment I've experienced in 29 years of life. I lost count of how many times I heard students describe the school as racist or segregated. It's like taking a time machine into the past and stepping on a loud-and-proud-Jewish island, where racial inequality and labels/boundaries/stereotypes/prejudices define how we interact with each other.

Also, the head of the general dentistry department chose to enlighten me during my 4th year on my "foreign" nationality and FOB "asian culture," and how to interact with "americans," even though I was born here in the US and grew up in the midwest, where all my high school and college friends were white. Maybe she couldn't place my perfect midwestern accent, who knows. It didn't bother me too much because I never thought she was remotely intelligent or informed, and she proves it every time she opens her mouth. Plus she looks like Jabba the Hut.

Last edited:
Do they still accept only beautiful or hot-looking chicks into the ortho program?

Do they still accept only beautiful or hot-looking chicks into the ortho program?

LOL. Those spots in the ortho program are, as famously said, "F'ing golden, and, uh, uh, I’m just not giving it up for F'in nothing."

Not just BU's ortho program, but all of their post doc programs, it really does look like being attractive is a prerequisite. Just walk through the post-doc clinics and see for yourself. Sorry, but if you're ugly you don't have a chance. It's just a part of the sleezy culture at BU, and if you wonder what their motive is then just consider the fact that faculty commonly date/marry their students.

I always thought it was weird having to submit two portraits of my face to the school but now I can understand why.

I always thought it was weird having to submit two portraits of my face to the school but now I can understand why.

You know those ID pictures that BU make you take during orientation that they put up in a class collage, well when I went to school there the faculty/upper classmen would check out all the cute girls when the photos come out. And 80% of those ortho/endo slots are filled by legacy/nepotism/cronysm as you mentioned above. Back then, I know of a 2nd year ortho resident that couldn't even do a ceph tracing and also failed the NERB. But becuz of his father who raised alot of $$$ for the chair in ortho, he was a shoo-in. And if you think they treat you bad on the pre-doc clinic floor, wait until you get into the post doc. Even the secretaries yell at the residents. My fellow residents and I got a yelling session and got charts thrown at us because of a mistake an already graduated resident did. The instructor couldn't take it out on him so he took it out on us. And they do it in front of your patients too to humiliate you or something. Oh and I was told by a removable clinical instructor "why don't you stay home and get pregnant?" just because now I was dating a fellow dental student. Hats off to you BUdentite and Daurang for telling it like it is. I know there are lots of people out there who know all these things exist and don't care to tell the truth becuz they went there. Also, the school should really take a look at how they treat their students & residents before turning around asking for alumni donations after we graduated.

I was actually referring to the pictures I had to supply with my interview before I was accepted. I know all about the gawking by the faculty and upperclassmen over those orientation photos.

"Also, the school should really take a look at how they treat their students & residents before turning around asking for alumni donations after we graduated"
-That's just one of the many reasons why almost none of us give money back to the school. I have donated to my undergrad major every year the last 3 years, but have not and will never give a penny to BU.

That Remo instructor might have been an alcoholic who lost her license, so maybe that's why she was saying that crazy stuff.

Thank God for Daurang and MomDMD. I've been loosing faith, that our profession was being overrun by immature, spoiled children of dentists who define the cheating culture. Hopefully we will be able to encourage more people to come forward to expose the real BU dental.

Last edited:
To be fair, there are just as many caring and exceptional faculty at BU who aren't on a power trip. I still do donate to BU once in a blue moon.

True, I also admire many faculty who work there. It's too bad the best clinical instructor by far (Dr. Bendayan) was probably one of the most under-rated (he lectures a course too), and one of the worst clinical instructors was the most over-rated. If major changes were made, I would definitely consider donating back to BU.

Last edited:
That Remo instructor might have been an alcoholic who lost her license, so maybe that's why she was saying that crazy stuff.

That remo instructor was a man! It was such a sexist remark. I bit my tongue until I got my diploma and a few months after that gave him a piece of my mind.

Thank God for Daurang and MomDMD. I've been loosing faith, that our profession was being overrun by immature, spoiled children of dentists who define the cheating culture. Hopefully we will be able to encourage more people to come forward to expose the real BU dental.[/QUOTE]

I admire you for your insight and truthfulness. I wonder if BU have people trolling this site?

As for caring & dedicated faculties, yes they do exist but alot of them left when the place changed hands.

In addition to the male remo instructor, there was the female remo instructor who was found so drunk in school she was banned from the 5th floor clinic. She can only teach on the 3rd floor and half the class has no idea what she's teaching because she's so bad. And then there's the female remove lab tech that made everyone's life miserable, must I go on? Like we really care to do remo as dentists in real life!

As for caring & dedicated faculties, yes they do exist but alot of them left when the place changed hands.

Yes a few really good and beloved instructors who didn't care for the crap left for Harvard and took the best of the department with them.

Last edited:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomDMD
Yes a few really good and beloved instructors who didn't care for the crap left for Harvard and took the best of the department with them.

The real Legend is now at UNLV.

Last edited:
You know those ID pictures that BU make you take during orientation that they put up in a class collage, well when I went to school there the faculty/upper classmen would check out all the cute girls when the photos come out.

That catalog of head-shots they print and distribute is literally BU Dental's version of a FLDS "Joy Book."

I am not providing you with my opinion for either school you have mentioned here. Below link is to furnish you with informations (NJDS) so you can make your own judgement.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=807226

No idea about BU, but after reading posts here, I don't doubt some of the informations posted. One thing I know that, some of the lower grade D school runs like business - students are their customres !!! If you could avoid those, stay away. However, if your stats are not top class then you rather graduate from those school then not being a dentist at all -- my practical thought.

Hi,

I am from the west coast and know nothing about Boston University dental school and New Jersey Dental school.

At this point, I am finalizing the list of schools I will be applying this summer and ohhhhh boy! I am not sure whether I need to have those in my list or not.

Please share me some insights about the school like atmosphere, student body, faculty, how much dental work you do, student life,.....

Also please share cons also!!!!!

Thank you in advance! and hopefully I see you in November! ;)
(if you know what I mean!)

...and zero root canals. but if you "ho it up" and "work" some sleezy faculty, or you get a specific race changing operation, the requirements could be lowered even more.

one of my best friends graduated without coming close to reaching certain quotas, but he was so valuable to the school that they were willing to commit fraud to retain his enrollment and graduation. with a major in sociology and before attending a single day of dental school, in order to secure his enrollment at BU (Tufts offered a lucrative package), he was guaranteed a spot in the school's post-doc orthodontic program, as long as he passed the board and maintained a 3.0gpa (a competetive ortho applicant is in the top 5% of his class with exceptional board scores).

most of my class found out about this secret during the final weeks before graduation, but i've known about this since the beginning of first year, and told no one but a therapist, even after the secret came out. this is how far the school goes to recruit and retain underrepresented minorities. and don't even think about using the diversity argument because 40% of the DMD degrees the school awards goes to Indians (who plan on practicing in this country since they are already dentists in their home country).

BU picks and chooses who they help, who they screw; who they accommodate, who they won't tolerate.

Racism, cronyism, nepotism, capitalism, and politics at it's best in 2011, and thriving.

I agree budentite.

I will never donate to BU.

Last edited:
well i enjoy bu, i'm not a jew and not a minority. i guess its you get out of BU what you put into it. but realisitically that just about everything you'll ever do. although i very upset about the cost and the school store lady is um not nice.

I am not a jew or minority either. What you said implies something that is nothing but an assumption about others and also is a negative one. I worked very hard. Also, I don't think life is a fair game. You don't always get what you put in but you should always try to give your best yes.

I think one should allow to express their opinion of an institution even if it is a negative one.

BU has problems and there can be several reason why you don't see it.

Either way, I think you need to gain more experience there and in the field.

I don't feel BU is good quality for the money and I think they are utterly disorganised which came with a lot of negative side effects.

Last edited:
You guys should watch your mouths and stop being so Anti-Semitic! Its rude and offensive!

You guys should watch your mouths and stop being so Anti-Semitic! Its rude and offensive!

Playing the anti-semitic card is pretty low, lacks credibility, and is hypocritical considering the culture/atmosphere of segregation and race-based-favortism at BU. And if you think that criticizing a person's misconduct (who also happens to be Jewish) is anti-semitic, then you don't understand what discrimination is. That's like accusing someone who criticizes Tiger Woods' infidelities as being racist.

Playing the anti-semitic card is pretty low, lacks credibility, and is hypocritical considering the culture/atmosphere of segregation and race-based-favortism at BU. And if you think that criticizing a person's misconduct (who also happens to be Jewish) is anti-semitic, then you don't understand what discrimination is. That's like accusing someone who criticizes Tiger Woods' infidelities as being racist.

Look at your own post before you start pointing fingers. The statement you made is pretty ignorant. Last time I checked it takes any ethnicity to take a test early and it also takes any unethical person to give out those results to other students.

Look at your own post before you start pointing fingers. The statement you made is pretty ignorant. Last time I checked it takes any ethnicity to take a test early and it also takes any unethical person to give out those results to other students.

Exactly, it's the action/misconduct that is the problem, not the ethnicity.

To clarify my statement about the cheating scheme, it is the favortism that is not color-blind. Any ethnicity can engage in this conduct but the "partners in the crime" in these examples are always of the same/similar ethnicity. Plus it is against school policy to take an exam early/late, even if you are hospitalized (as Daurang experienced). It has nothing to do specifically with Jews or anti-semitism, and other ethnicities at BU engage in the same kind of conduct.

Maybe you missed the point - that BU is really weird when it comes to race, among other things; and favortism is just a fact of life there. The BU employee with by far the most Facebook BU d-school friends is also the kid in charge of distributing their scarce number of patients. Students/faculty stick to and favor their own kind, whether they are are Jewish, Iranian/Persian, Vietnamese, African-American, etc. You can't be that naive, just look at the composition of the cliques at BU, or maybe I just spent too much time at BU Dental Island and am still pee'd off about the underground distribution of exams. That's fine to a certain extent, but it's never okay when it results in favortism.

Sorry if I offended you by criticizing someone's misconduct who just happened to be Jewish. Don't be so sensitive and take it so personally, I'd still criticize the same mis-conduct regardless of his/her ethnicity/religion. Jeez, 8 months have passed since my post and just now someone decides to pull out the anti-semite card. I assume you didn't go to BU and haven't experienced what Daurang, MomDMD, and toothdr5 have gone through so I forgive you because BU is truely a unique place.

Sorry for the rant but I really don't like being accused of racial or religious bigotry.

Last edited:

To clarify my statement about the cheating scheme, it is the favortism that is not color-blind. Any ethnicity can engage in this conduct but the "partners in the crime" in these examples are always of the same/similar ethnicity. Plus it is against school policy to take an exam early/late, even if you are hospitalized (as Daurang experienced). It has nothing to do specifically with Jews or anti-semitism, and other ethnicities at BU engage in the same kind of conduct.

Maybe you missed the point - that BU is really weird when it comes to race, among other things; and favortism is just a fact of life there. The BU employee with by far the most Facebook BU d-school friends is also the kid in charge of distributing their scarce number of patients. Students/faculty stick to and favor their own kind, whether they are are Jewish, Iranian/Persian, Vietnamese, African-American, etc. You can't be that naive, just look at the composition of the cliques at BU, or maybe I just spent too much time at BU Dental Island and am still pee'd off about the underground distribution of exams. That's fine to a certain extent, but it's never okay when it results in favortism.

Sorry if I offended you by criticizing someone's misconduct who just happened to be Jewish. Don't be so sensitive and take it so personally, I'd still criticize the same mis-conduct regardless of his/her ethnicity/religion. Jeez, 8 months have passed since my post and just now someone decides to pull out the anti-semite card. I assume you didn't go to BU and haven't experienced what Daurang, MomDMD, and toothdr5 have gone through so I forgive you because BU is truely a unique place.

Sorry for the rant but I really don't like being accused of racial or religious bigotry.

Hey budentite, don't worry so much about what wired says. If you look through the posts, you'll see that he gets into spats with a lot of people. My guess is that wired is a troll. He or she often gives out poor advice and incorrect information too.

Hey budentite, don't worry so much about what wired says. If you look through the posts, you'll see that he gets into spats with a lot of people. My guess is that wired is a troll. He or she often gives out poor advice and incorrect information too.

go troll someone else posts instead of mine.

There a huge difference between what you said with your "lets single out one type of ethnicity/religion" rant vs. saying students at BU tend to be unethical. If you phrased it with the latter, I wouldn't question your comments.

There a huge difference between what you said with your "lets single out one type of ethnicity/religion" rant vs. saying students at BU tend to be unethical. If you phrased it with the latter, I wouldn't question your comments.

You're quite the selective reader, I've "singled out" 3 different ethnicities in this thread alone. Maybe you just got a paranoid hypersensitive persecution syndrome.

This thread is going nowhere, I hope the OP or a mod closes it.

What budentite stated is absolutely correct. You can confirm it with coldfront who just graduated to see if the climate has changed. No one is being anti-Semitic. It is rude and offensive to other people when they're in the hospital on a gourney and the Jewish instructor makes the guy come in to take the test or fail. It is rude and offensive when the Jews at the school are allowed to skip out on exam because it's their holiday, and they get the exam question the day later. It is rude and offensive when the school AC commonly and suddenly don't work or need maintenance on Jewish holidays so the school get a day off. I can rant on more examples if you want but for what? I'm just stating the truth as seen by many other people at the school, which is to serve your jail term and get the heck out. Basically go to BU school only as a last resort.

This is the same school that allowed this AEGD guy that haven't passed the national board in a couple tries giving out national board reviews. You people at BU right now....befriend someone and go to the Harvard or Tufts review or get their review materials...MUCH BETTER.

Last edited:
What budentite stated is absolutely correct. You can confirm it with coldfront who just graduated to see if the climate has changed. No one is being anti-Semitic. It is rude and offensive to other people when they're in the hospital on a gourney and the Jewish instructor makes the guy come in to take the test or fail. It is rude and offensive when the Jews at the school are allowed to skip out on exam because it's their holiday, and they get the exam question the day later. It is rude and offensive when the school AC commonly and suddenly don't work or need maintenance on Jewish holidays so the school get a day off. I can rant on more examples if you want but for what? I'm just stating the truth as seen by many other people at the school, which is to serve your jail term and get the heck out. Basically go to BU school only as a last resort.

This is the same school that allowed this AEGD guy that haven't passed the national board in a couple tries giving out national board reviews. You people at BU right now....befriend someone and go to the Harvard or Tufts review or get their review materials...MUCH BETTER.

If your ignorant of the fact that people have religious beliefs and cannot study on certain days or write exams, then you'll have a lot of problems understanding patients, esp the ones from cultures other than yourself. Again stop singling out a group of people, it shows immaturity and a very poor attitude on your part. I assume from you username that you aren't Caucasian? If not please correct me. But at my old job (no matter how busy we were) every ethnic group had leeway when it came to their religious holidays, observances, etc. We live in a multi cultured world and if you dont understand that then anticipate huge problems later on.

This is the same school that allowed this AEGD guy that haven't passed the national board in a couple tries giving out national board reviews. You people at BU right now....befriend someone and go to the Harvard or Tufts review or get their review materials...MUCH BETTER.[/QUOTE]

If your ignorant of the fact that people have religious beliefs and cannot study on certain days or write exams, then you'll have a lot of problems understanding patients, esp the ones from cultures other than yourself. Again stop singling out a group of people, it shows immaturity and a very poor attitude on your part. I assume from you username that you aren't Caucasian? If not please correct me. But at my old job (no matter how busy we were) every ethnic group had leeway when it came to their religious holidays, observances, etc. We live in a multi cultured world and if you dont understand that then anticipate huge problems later on.

Can't study on religioius holidays, are you kidding me? Who takes it that far? This is professional school, not rabbinical school or seminary. I guarantee that if you had an exam the day after your religious holiday, that you'd be studying on said holiday.
Can I demand the school be prohibited from releasing appointments on Sunday because I'm observing the sabbath?

Wired dude is personalizing this way too much. Daurang is not criticizing students for being excused from exams on religious holidays; rather he is criticizing the administration for granting exceptions for certain people, but not others - back to the favortism argument made earlier. When school policy is to not offer make up exams, and when course directors make every effort to avoid scheduling exams on religious holidays, there is really no reason to let people take an exam early/late. Especially when cheating is so rampant at d-schools. However it's rediculous to not make an exception in the case of medical emergencies or family deaths, when exceptions are made for certain students to attend weddings. Plus, people abuse the "religous exception." For example I knew of a couple students who used that argument to get out of a couple days of school so they could have an extended ski trip vacation.

I assume from you username that you aren't Caucasian?

Wow, talk about prejudice and stereotyping. And he has the nerve to accuse others of bigotry. Take a hard look in the mirror bro.