hi

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smith91

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please I need clarification on some issues.please my brother is in his finals studying optometry,but he wants to be a heart surgeon,how possible is it and how long will It take for him to realize his dreams.

Members don't see this ad.

From where he wants to become surgeon?
From where you belong?

Members don't see this ad :)
Please I need clarification on some issues.please my brother is in his finals studying optometry,but he wants to be a heart surgeon,how possible is it and how long will It take for him to realize his dreams.
He would need to complete the premedical requirements at an undergraduate level, for about a year. Then 4 years medical school, 5 years surgery residency, and two years cardiothorasic surgery fellowship. Every one of those steps involves an extremely competitive application followed by a period of intensive training.

It will also involve him realizing, hopefully during medical school rather than during fellowship, that he doesn't actually want to be a heart surgeon.

His best bet is probably to lobby the legislature to expand optometrists' practice rights to ophthalmologic surgery, because reasons.

Once he's doing an ophthalmologist's job it's just a short hop to the CT OR!