High Mcat Low Gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Derpmed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
My GPA is 3.26c and i just got my MCAT back at a 519. I know its late in the cycle and i was planning to apply broadly to DO. As a florida resident is it worth applying to all the instate MD schools to try to land an interview or should i just stick to DO. ECs are average with hospital experience as well as club leadership and around 50 shadowing hours. Just now starting first gap year doing an EMT program since it was free and looking into working as a medical assistant in the meantime. Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

The GPA-MCAT grid shows you have a 50% chance for a MD acceptance with your stats. So it is worth applying to all your Florida MD schools. However, you need to apply this week and submit all your secondaries by late September. Also apply to at least 10 DO schools and you are competitive for any DO school.

It will be September before you complete the application process. So for MD, you're clearly shooting yourself in the foot to apply. For DO, I understand it's still OK, and with your excellent MCAT, I'd suggest your admission chances are excellent. So here are the most likely options:
  • You apply DO only. Get in. Do you always wonder what if?
  • You apply DO and state MD. Get into DO but not MD. Do you always wonder what if and why, knowing the answer was probably just your late application?
  • You apply DO and broad list of MD. Spend a fortune. Get into DO but not MD. Do you always wonder what if and why, knowing the answer was probably just your late application?
  • You wait a year apply DO and 'regular' list of IS and OOS MD. Get in MD. But at the cost of another year.
Which option would mess with your head the least? How important is MD/DO to you? And do you know / can you find out how your IS MD schools respond to late applications?

Members don't see this ad :)
IF you are absolutely 100% applying this cycle you should certainly apply to your state schools and well targeted OOS MD schools.
There is however a good chance that if you wait a year and do some GPA repair you can enhance your MD candidacy significantly and get into a school more in line with your MCAT