high risk for needle sticks in IR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

badasshairday

Vascular and Interventional Radiology
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is IR considered high risk for needle sticks like surgery? I'd assume it would be lower risk because suturing is minimal for those small holes. But then again, IR's work on a lot of pt's on hemodialysis (high risk population for hep c). Also the TIPS procedure pt's may be higher risk for blood born pathogens.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I do feel that needle sticks is a potential concern. We do see a large Hep C patient population especially with all the liver cancer treatments we perform for hepatocelluar cancer.

The key is to have excellent technique when dealing with sharps and making sure they are placed in a sharp container and also making sure you alert everyone in the team when a sharp is coming or going. This way you can substantially minimize risks.

Appreciate the input. Full disclosure, I had a needle stick while on general surgery and it truly was a crappy experience. Just a little prick, but enough to make me stress out while having my post exposure viral studies done. After that I am extra careful and aware of sharps in the procedure field. Risks of our profession.

Last edited: