High School Senior

CoolDoctor1234

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a high school senior who has been full-time dual enrolled for 3 semesters at my local state college. By the time I graduate high school I will have my AA and diploma with a few med school pre-reqs completed. Last year (my junior year of high school/first year of dual enrollment) I took Biology 1 and Chemistry 1. I received an A in Biology but an 87/B in Chemistry 1. Now I am about to take my finals for Biology 2 and Chemistry 2. I will get an A in Biology 2 but am treading on thin ice in Chemistry 2 (88/B). I am definitely a lot stronger in biology than I am in Chemistry. My overall cGPA is a 3.8 and sGPA 3.7 thus far. I am writing to ask, will general chemistry courses translate into the higher level science courses? I am decent at chemistry but by no means exceptional. I thoroughly enjoy Biology however. Am I in bad shape for applying to med schools in years to come? Will medical schools take into account how young I was in the pre-reqs? Should I attempt to retake the courses through grade forgiveness at my post-secondary college? I have shadowed an oral surgeon/chiropractor. I've also heard that being a minority I have an advantage because of URM? I also am a first generation college student from my family, and 4 year varsity wrestler. Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated. I can provide any additional information regarding my resumé if more is needed. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently a high school senior who has been full-time dual enrolled for 3 semesters at my local state college. By the time I graduate high school I will have my AA and diploma with a few med school pre-reqs completed. Last year (my junior year of high school/first year of dual enrollment) I took Biology 1 and Chemistry 1. I received an A in Biology but an 87/B in Chemistry 1. Now I am about to take my finals for Biology 2 and Chemistry 2. I will get an A in Biology 2 but am treading on thin ice in Chemistry 2 (88/B). I am definitely a lot stronger in biology than I am in Chemistry. My overall cGPA is a 3.8 and sGPA 3.7 thus far. I am writing to ask, will general chemistry courses translate into the higher level science courses? I am decent at chemistry but by no means exceptional. I thoroughly enjoy Biology however. Am I in bad shape for applying to med schools in years to come? Will medical schools take into account how young I was in the pre-reqs? Should I attempt to retake the courses through grade forgiveness at my post-secondary college? I have shadowed an oral surgeon/chiropractor. I've also heard that being a minority I have an advantage because of URM? I also am a first generation college student from my family, and 4 year varsity wrestler. Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated. I can provide any additional information regarding my resumé if more is needed. Thank you!

Don't retake. Move on and take more advanced classes and do well in those

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Sometimes the teacher matters more than the subject. And when you get into Orgo, the approach is a lot different from intro chemistry. I would not retake any courses, particularly given that you got a B. B is OK! Once you get through a few chemistry courses to cover your prerequisites you can be done with them if they're not your thing.

No one cares how old you are when you take your classes. But you are not in bad shape.

Sometimes the teacher matters more than the subject. And when you get into Orgo, the approach is a lot different from intro chemistry. I would not retake any courses, particularly given that you got a B. B is OK! Once you get through a few chemistry courses to cover your prerequisites you can be done with them if they're not your thing.

No one cares how old you are when you take your classes. But you are not in bad shape.

When you say the teacher can matter more than the subject, are you suggesting I should try to get a really good orgo chem teacher that will teach the material well and learn it thoroughly rather than worry about an easy professor/bad one and worrying about my grade?

First of all, skill in inorganic chemistry doesn't port to skill in organic chemistry, at least not directly. And a great teacher can teach a difficult topic better than a crummy teacher can teach an easy topic. Most teachers at that level are going to go over the same range of topics for the most part, and many use the same source materials, but if you're taught better and you learn the material better, you'll test better regardless of how challenging the test is supposed to be. Besides, taking an easy version of a course might get you a better grade now, but if you aren't challenged enough to really learn it, that could burn you come MCAT time.

First of all, skill in inorganic chemistry doesn't port to skill in organic chemistry, at least not directly. And a great teacher can teach a difficult topic better than a crummy teacher can teach an easy topic. Most teachers at that level are going to go over the same range of topics for the most part, and many use the same source materials, but if you're taught better and you learn the material better, you'll test better regardless of how challenging the test is supposed to be. Besides, taking an easy version of a course might get you a better grade now, but if you aren't challenged enough to really learn it, that could burn you come MCAT time.
Well put! :)

Am I in bad shape for applying to med schools in years to come? Will medical schools take into account how young I was in the pre-reqs? Should I attempt to retake the courses through grade forgiveness at my post-secondary college?

You are in good shape for applying to med schools, a few B's won't hurt, don't retake. As far as I am aware med schools will not take into account how young you were when you took the pre-reqs, and I don't think they should anyway.

You didn't ask for this advice but....
Going into undergrad you will be 3 semesters ahead. I'd advise you to NOT try and graduate in 2.5 or 3 years, but rather take lighter course loads and really get the most out of your 4 year college experience. Others may disagree with me, but there are so many things that college affords you outside of the courses you will take that will prepare you for medical school, will help you better understand yourself and the path you would like to take, and will help you transition into adulthood.

If you take the minimum course load you will have much more time for shadowing, research, volunteering, clinical work (EMT, CNA, Scribe, Tech, etc), MCAT prep, and more time to do interesting stuff to give your med school application a "hook". Graduating college in < 4 years is not a "hook" that will get you noticed in the most positive way, whereas being an interesting person outside the classroom will. If you will be going to the same Undergrad where you're currently taking classes, you could try and start researching and volunteering there now, with the caveat that in order to put this on your AMCAS app you need to continue it into your post-high school years...

I've also heard that being a minority I have an advantage because of URM?

URMs do have an advantage in certain ways, but make sure you understand which minorities are considered URMs. Also, try and not think about your URM status until you check the box on your AMCAS app, as I've had friends in the past who would cite this as why they aren't as concerned about a certain grade, etc. and it ended up not working out for them.

You're doing great, best of luck

Reactions: 1 users
You are in good shape for applying to med schools, a few B's won't hurt, don't retake. As far as I am aware med schools will not take into account how young you were when you took the pre-reqs, and I don't think they should anyway.

Going into undergrad you will be 3 semesters ahead. I'd advise you to NOT try and graduate in 2.5 or 3 years, but rather take lighter course loads and really get the most out of your 4 year college experience. Others may disagree with me, but there are so many things that college affords you outside of the courses you will take that will prepare you for medical school, will help you better understand yourself and the path you would like to take, and will help you transition into adulthood.

If you take the minimum course load you will have much more time for shadowing, research, volunteering, clinical work (EMT, CNA, Scribe, Tech, etc), MCAT prep, and more time to do interesting stuff to give your med school application a "hook". Graduating college in < 4 years is not a "hook" that will get you noticed in the most positive way, whereas being an interesting person outside the classroom will. If you will be going to the same Undergrad where you're currently taking classes, you could try and start researching and volunteering there now, with the caveat that in order to put this on your AMCAS app you need to continue it into your post-high school years...

URMs do have an advantage in certain ways, but make sure you understand which minorities are considered URMs. Also, try and not think about your URM status until you check the box on your AMCAS app, as I've had friends in the past who would cite this as why they aren't as concerned about a certain grade, etc. and it ended up not working out for them.

You're doing great, best of luck

Thank you very much. Im a 4 year wrestler in high school but love a broad range of things and interested in thingd from star gazing to playing marbles haha. I look forward to great college experience. I have chosen to attend a small college down in south Florida that is reputable for great academics and small class sizes. I had no desire to apply to a huge university and sit in an orgo chem class with 200+ students. Im excited for fall 2016! I will have my AA when I graduate HS w/ about 63 transfer credits. Wouldnt this be 4 semesters ahead my freshman year of college?

Going into undergrad you will be 3 semesters ahead. I'd advise you to NOT try and graduate in 2.5 or 3 years, but rather take lighter course loads and really get the most out of your 4 year college experience.

I am glad to hear any advice at all anyone can offer! Thank you very much! Concering the URM thing, Im Vietnamese so not sure how thatll play in. Thank you!

Thank you very much. Im a 4 year wrestler in high school but love a broad range of things and interested in thingd from star gazing to playing marbles haha. I look forward to great college experience. I have chosen to attend a small college down in south Florida that is reputable for great academics and small class sizes. I had no desire to apply to a huge university and sit in an orgo chem class with 200+ students. Im excited for fall 2016! I will have my AA when I graduate HS w/ about 63 transfer credits. Wouldnt this be 4 semesters ahead my freshman year of college?

Oh yea I guess that would be 4 semesters then... still no need to short yourself out of 4 years of college, but instead use the credits you already have to have lesser course loads to allow time for your "love of broad range of things":) which will help with application. I wonder if having your AA would make you eligible or more attractive to certain summer jobs that may not otherwise be available to you - if you have any career counseling ppl at the place you are getting your AA you could meet with them, tell them what you want to do, and ask them how you can leverage your degree into jobs that are healthcare related.

I am glad to hear any advice at all anyone can offer! Thank you very much! Concering the URM thing, Im Vietnamese so not sure how thatll play in. Thank you!
So being a first gen college student is certainly helping you, but folks of asian descent usually are not at an advantage (and are possibly Overrepresented). to see this, look at these data tables and compare the acceptance data for certain GPA and MCAT scores of your race/ethnicity to the other race/ethnicities...there used to be cool graphs with wavy colored lines that I, for whatever reason, can't find right now, but these links will give you an idea of what I'm talking about. Happy to help!
https://www.aamc.org/data/facts/applicantmatriculant/157998/factstablea24.html