High School Student Interested in Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mallad

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a 17 year old High school student, Junior, who recently has decided that I want to become a pharmacist and going into marketing and management. I'm very confused on where I should begin and where to start. my choices for college would be University of Michigan, UNLV, or ASU.

I have a 3.25 weighted GPA and next year I'll be taking about 4 AP Classes. Unweighted 3.1. I'm fluent in Japanese and Arabic and I am a lettered athlete, playing sports such as Golf, Women's Lacrosse, Softball, and Crossfit. People have told me that being in sports and speaking other languages will help me get into a good college.

My main question is, now that you know a bit about me, what should I major in? Where do I start? What classes should I take? I've been told many different things by lots of sites and people, so I feel that I should give this forum a try.

Thank you so much.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I'm a 17 year old High school student, Junior, who recently has decided that I want to become a pharmacist and going into marketing and management. I'm very confused on where I should begin and where to start. my choices for college would be University of Michigan, UNLV, or ASU.

I have a 3.25 weighted GPA and next year I'll be taking about 4 AP Classes. Unweighted 3.1. I'm fluent in Japanese and Arabic and I am a lettered athlete, playing sports such as Golf, Women's Lacrosse, Softball, and Crossfit. People have told me that being in sports and speaking other languages will help me get into a good college.

My main question is, now that you know a bit about me, what should I major in? Where do I start? What classes should I take? I've been told many different things by lots of sites and people, so I feel that I should give this forum a try.

Thank you so much.

My first question to you is; why you have decided you want to become a pharmacist? I'm not trying to turn you off of pharmacy but do you have a solid understanding of what pharmacists do exactly? Have you shadowed pharmacists? Volunteered at a hospital or clinic? I simply find it hard to believe that a HS student decides relatively out of the blue that they want to become a pharmacist.. but perhaps there is some missing information that would fill in that piece of the puzzle and help answer that question. If it is something more naive, such as "I like to help people" or along those lines, I would suggest you really not make a decision so soon until you explore all of your options. While I admire that you have a strong grasp on where you want to go with your life, I think it is important to look at all your options before jumping into something you may regret later down the line. To answer you more specifically, my advice is to major in something that aligns well with your passions. If you like art, major in art. If you like math, major in math. Majoring in something that you enjoy will help ensure that you do well. If you do decide to go on to pharmacy school you can go into it with literally any major (as long as you have the prereqs done). I know that my school (one of the top pharmacy schools) really highlighted that they liked seeing majors outside of the hard sciences. They even brought up, at one informational meeting, that a student on the panel had majored in French before applying to pharmacy school.

Major in a science field... if I could do it again I would do biochemistry. Look at the pharmacy prerequisites at the pharmacy schools you are interested in.