HIV/AIDS Drug Memorization

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChargerSRT

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any hints or mnemonic device to help memorize brand name/generic/class for HIV/AIDS drugs? I am really struggling keeping them straight.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm working on this topic too...

The three DEN ladies of NNRT:
Dela, Efa, Nevira

(Delavirdine, Efavirenz, Nevirapine)

We don't want our patients to RIP (yet):
RALFSINA are Protease Inhibitors

(Ritonavir, Amprenavir, Lopinavir, Fosamprinavir, Saquinavir, Indinavir, Nelfinavir, Azatanavir)

I can keep adding, as I go, if you want???

Reactions: 2 users
I'm working on this topic too...

Dela, Efa, Nevira

We don't want our patients to RIP (yet):
RALFSINA are Protease Inhibitors

(Ritonavir, Amprenavir, Lopinavir, Fosamprinavir, Saquinavir, Indinavir, Nelfinavir, Azatanavir)

I can keep adding, as I go, if you want???

Yes please, keep adding as you come up with them.. I'll add any that I come up with too...

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Spiriva!

This one's a little tough, but since it's all tied together, it's easier to manage.

Nelfinavir is Not reNally excreted, so it is Never a problem in reNal impairment, but it can cause diabetes (which could eventually lead to Nephropathy aka reNal impairment).

Nelfinavir + renal impairment = good to go

Nelfinavir --> diabetes --> renal impairment + Nelfinavir = good to go

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks Spiriva!

This one's a little tough, but since it's all tied together, it's easier to manage.

Nelfinavir is Not reNally excreted, so it is Never a problem in reNal impairment, but it can cause diabetes (which could eventually lead to Nephropathy aka reNal impairment).

Nelfinavir + renal impairment = good to go

Nelfinavir --> diabetes --> renal impairment + Nelfinavir = good to go

Why not just NE for NEphron. :confused:

Oy vey, just learn it the normal way folks. :D
:laugh:

There's so much stuff though.

I have a test on HIV/AIDS, TB, antifungals, Opioids, Eicosanoids, NSAIDs, DMARDs, gout, and CNS receptors.
Without a doubt, my brain will be hurting. :oops:

Oy vey, just learn it the normal way folks. :D

Oh...I agree. I don't like mnemonics if they're absolutely random and require just as much brain power to remember as what you were trying to learn in the first place. Short term memorization of this stuff isn't what you're looking for...

But come on, that one isn't tooooo bad! At least it makes sense clinically too ;)

the heck...don't even associate Nelfinavir with kidneys...it will mix you up later

Nelfinavir...just somehow remember hepatotoxic...lead in dose

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh...I agree. I don't like mnemonics if they're absolutely random and require just as much brain power to remember as what you were trying to learn in the first place. Short term memorization of this stuff isn't what you're looking for...

But come on, that one isn't tooooo bad! At least it makes sense clinically too ;)

hehe it is pretty catchy... lol

the heck...don't even associate Nelfinavir with kidneys...it will mix you up later

Nelfinavir...just somehow remember hepatotoxic...lead in dose
Ok. I've got that committed to memory too. :thumbup:

Notes say extensive hepatic metabolism, so I think we're safe to assume hepatotoxic.

NRTIs (generic and brand name, in order.... kinda lame but it got the job done for me!)

Q: Why Did the Lame Tenors from ZZ Top and Abba Starve?

(GENERICS) Didanosine, Lamivudine, Tenofovir, Zalcitabine, Zidovudine, Abacavir, Stavudine

A:To protest Video showing the Epidemic caused by the Virus HIV in the Retro 1970's in the country of ZiaZer.

(BRAND) Videx, Epivir, Viread, Hivid, Retrovir, Ziagen, Zerit.

NRTIs

Why Did the Lame Tenors from ZZ Top and Abba Starve?

Didanosine, Lamivudine, Tenofovir, Zalcitabine, Zidovudine, Abacavir, Stavudine
:thumbup:

I'm Not Really That Interested (to know why) :laugh:

:thumbup:

I'm Not Really That Interested (to know why) :laugh:

:idea:

A:To protest Video showing the Epidemic caused by the Virus HIV in the Retro 1970's in the country of ZiaZer.

:idea:

Interesting... :p

I'm still working on the rest!

I am going to use this one:

Dela, Efa, Nevira

But I am going add/change the saying to:

Please RSVP to the DEN ladies of NNRT.

Rescriptor, Sustiva, Viramune, P

AN ADDITION! (kinda off color) Those DEN ladies gave me a rash and hepatitis! (class toxicities)

"Hi, I'm a MAC." "And I am a PC." (apple commercial)

These are the two opportunisic infections needing prophylaxis in HIV/AIDS.
- Mycobacterium Avium Complex = Zmax Weekly
- Pneumocytis Carinii Pneumonia = TMP-SMX DS Daily

"Having a Kid? Use Zid!"

-Zidovudine staring at 14-34 weeks and continue through pregnancy.
-Baby should take zidovudine syrup for the first 6 weeks of life.

"Hi, I'm a MAC." "And I am a PC." (apple commercial)

These are the two opportunisic infections needing prophylaxis in HIV/AIDS.
- Mycobacterium Avium Complex = Zmax Weekly
- Pneumocytis Carinii Pneumonia = TMP-SMX DS Daily

except that it's PJP now. pneumocytis jejunii pneumonia

Skip trying to memorize with little phrases. Just learn the drugs. Personally I would just focus on the main ones now. Most naive patients usually go on epzicom, truvada, or Atripla do to the ease of dosing. Remember that Kaletra is good for seeing faster boosts in CD4 counts, reyataz has the least toxicity but has to be taken with food, and that most PI's are now boosted with Norvir. The number of people who have a hypersensity reaction to abacavir is almost not existent now since the advent of the HLA-B test is such a good prediction. Oh, and know the NNRTI's and the fact that cross-resistance is high in this class. There are a couple of other things, but fuzeon inhibitors are rarely used, and most of the rest are new drugs that it is good to know but are not widely used yet. Know the above and you know 90% of what you need to know about HIV/AIDS meds :)

Skip trying to memorize with little phrases. Just learn the drugs. Personally I would just focus on the main ones now. Most naive patients usually go on epzicom, truvada, or Atripla do to the ease of dosing. Remember that Kaletra is good for seeing faster boosts in CD4 counts, reyataz has the least toxicity but has to be taken with food, and that most PI's are now boosted with Norvir. The number of people who have a hypersensity reaction to abacavir is almost not existent now since the advent of the HLA-B test is such a good prediction. Oh, and know the NNRTI's and the fact that cross-resistance is high in this class. There are a couple of other things, but fuzeon inhibitors are rarely used, and most of the rest are new drugs that it is good to know but are not widely used yet. Know the above and you know 90% of what you need to know about HIV/AIDS meds :)
Ummm... thanks, but we have to know more. ChargerSRT is taking the Naplex soon. I have an exam on all of the drugs.

I learn the drugs by memorizing little phrases. :D

But thank you for the rest of the HIV/AIDs info! :thumbup:

I learn the drugs by memorizing little phrases. :D

But thank you for the rest of the HIV/AIDs info! :thumbup:

Lol you might get tested on more, but not for the naplex. I highly doubt they will give you anything dealing with complicated regimens. The guidlines typically change every 6 months anyways so what you learn will not be viable half the time. As a result, most questions are going to be more simplistic.

Whenever I come up with mnemonics, they end up being anti-Semetic.....and then my wife won't talk to me for 2 days until I watch Schindler's list....again.

Last edited:
My top HIV mnemonic:

"Dan and Steve aren't together anymore; they just weren't feeling it."

(don't use diDANosine and STAVudine together... peripheral neuropathy)

My top HIV mnemonic:

"Dan and Steve aren't together anymore; they just weren't feeling it."

(don't use diDANosine and STAVudine together... peripheral neuropathy)

That's the two D's cause the two P's Didanosine (ddI) and Stavudine (d4T): peripheral neuropathy and pancreatitis.

HIV mnemonics (all generic)

NRTI's- ZALES DT* (zidovudine, abacavir, lamivudine, emtricitabine, stavudine, didanosine, tenofovir)

NNRTI's- NEED (nevirapine, efavirenz, etravirine, delavirdine)

PI's- LAND FIRST (lopinavir, atazanavir, nelfinavir, darunavir, fosamprenavir, indinavir, ritonavir, saquinavir, tipranavir)

* DT stands for downtown

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone have any hints or mnemonic device to help memorize brand name/generic/class for HIV/AIDS drugs? I am really struggling keeping them straight.

Thank you!
NEVER EVER DELIVER TEN NONSENSE KIDS
NEVRAPINE EFAVIRENZ DELAVIRIDINE TENOFOVIR

Nothing like a necro thread!

When I went to school, there was only zidovudine. It's a whole different world now.

Reactions: 2 users
Reyataz is aTAZanAVIR
It's like the TazzzzzManian Devil
You spin so fast that you lose weight and get a little nauseated
After all that weight loss, you need to take it with food OR ELSE.....