HKU MBBS 2013 entry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey xenox2,

I also have a friend of a friend who wrote this test, and she had absolutely no working knowledge of chinese in the written and reading sense. I think she was able to carry on a conversation, but nothing much more than that.

But anyway, she passed and is now in the 5th year.

I'm sure you'll do great! :D

Thanks Kiwwwi, that's what I heard from my search about that Chinese test too, hope it's still the same.

So they want me back in HK on the 14th so I have around 2-3 days to quit my job, figure everything out and move to Hong Kong...

Does anyone have any information regarding which college I should choose for CUHK Medicine? Any Pros/Cons?
I'm also in dire need for information on which hall to apply for and how to apply.

Perhaps some of you can refer me to a friend who is currently studying medicine in CUHK?
Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

-

Last edited:
I just got my admission offer from CUHK!
Still no word from HKU but I guess I'll accept CUHK's offer if I don't hear from HKU by the end of this week...I did bomb their interview afterall.

Good luck to everyone, hope I'll have a chance to work with you in the future!

Hey congrats. I just received an interview invite from CUHK. How was your interview with them? Would you mind sharing what sorts of questions they asked this year?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone heard from HKU recently? The wait is soooo long.........It's almost end of August !!

Current med student in CUHK. In regards to college, Morningside College is usually the one that's more internationally friendly. MC and S. H. Ho is the only two college that guarantees a room during your studies (you have to live there as a matter of fact for the first two/three years of med studies). When looking at Colleges, people usually look at their educational requirement (some have assemblies, some have just a course you take) and the location of the college (i.e. if it's far from main college). Let me know if you have any other Qs.

The Chinese Test is a breeze. As long as you can converse and read a bit, you should be fine. You are asked to write a reflection on an article though, so just do your best and it'll be fine. I don't think any one fails it. Welcome to CUHK!

I emailed HKU yesterday asking about admission decision, and I got a rejection from them...sigh...Will try for different school then.

Good luck to rest of you guys!!

Last edited:
Current med student in CUHK. In regards to college, Morningside College is usually the one that's more internationally friendly. MC and S. H. Ho is the only two college that guarantees a room during your studies (you have to live there as a matter of fact for the first two/three years of med studies). When looking at Colleges, people usually look at their educational requirement (some have assemblies, some have just a course you take) and the location of the college (i.e. if it's far from main college). Let me know if you have any other Qs.

The Chinese Test is a breeze. As long as you can converse and read a bit, you should be fine. You are asked to write a reflection on an article though, so just do your best and it'll be fine. I don't think any one fails it. Welcome to CUHK!

Hey, I'm a Non-JUPAS applicant from the US, just got an offer from CU for direct entry to Year Two Med. Now I gotta pay the fee, pick a college, and all those standard procedures. So from what I can tell, the only colleges with dorms are UC, SH Ho, Morningside, and Woo Sing right? I really need to dorm on campus cause I have no other place to stay at. I wanna stay somewhere where there's a good mix of international students and locals, and have a lot of student activities to offer. So out of those 4, my top choice should be Morningside right? Then I'd probably pick SH Ho, then UC and Woo Sing. Does anybody have any advice for me as to what college to pick? Thanks and I'd love to meet some of you at CU.

When I entered last year, S H Ho and Morningside is the only one that I know GUARANTEES residence for the duration of your study. So make sure UC and Woo Sing is not only giving you 1 year of dorm. I was like yourself and needed dorm for however long so chose Morningside. I definitely think Morningside is more international but SH Ho has better scholarships I think. Both colleges are new and consider small (in terms of number of people) which is good in terms of easier to join student activities, but the variety may not be as much as the other big colleges. To be honest, you won't have that much time to do a lot of ECs. First semester in your first year, classes will be from 8:30-6:30PM. You might fit in 1-2 activity if you are really interested. Hope this helps.

I am from Canada (Ontario) - and they contacted me by email initially. Then after 2 or 3 days, my online application status changed to "firm offer"

May i please ask your grades of your ossd? and APs?
I's currently a student in Ontario.

May i please ask your grades of your ossd? and APs?
I's currently a student in Ontario.

Hi Vincent18383883

I am a undergraduate degree-holder, so I'm not sure that my OSSD grades would be as relevant for you to use as a reference. However, being currently in the MBBS program at HKU and chatting with non-jupas classmates, I would say that the aim would be to have OSSD grades over 90%.

If you still are interested, you can PM me.

Best of luck.

Hi!

I'm a Singaporean student taking A levels right now and hoping to escape the strong local competition for our medical courses! What is HKU's MBBS admission criteria and how was the application process like? Do they require straight As? Do they take into account O levels?