Hmm what to do

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tsharp91

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, all! Okay, so I applied last year late like in September(had to wait for dat scores) to 7 dental schools, got waitlisted at 1. I didn't feel too bad about it but bummed I didn't get in. My stats are 3.31 GPA 3.2 sgpa. My dat AA was an 18 and TS 19. Lowest section was a 14, and that was in the qr section. I have taken the dat three times and from what I was told from dental schools that taking it a fourth time is looked down on. So at this moment I am waiting to hear back and see if I will be accepted into a masters program for this upcoming fall. I am also applying to dental schools this summer too, and I checked the schools sites and they don't have cutoffs or mentioned qr section. I could sit here and list all my other credentials I have but if you need more to help give advice I can provide it. I am just curious what everyone thinks about applying to dental schools with my stats and this time a lot earlier lol. I know I don't have the most competitive stats its clear to see but I don't think I am out for the count. Any thoughts or opinions will be considered and appreciated. Thanks, everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

IMO, I think anything on the DAT below a 16 (even QR) looks bad over taking the DAT for a fourth time. With that said, if you retake it I highly suggest to study A LOT for it because if you don't do as well as expected, a 5th time taking the DAT is out of the question. With an AA of 18, TS of 19, and sub par GPA I don't think you'll have a good shot even if you apply early. The main part to this application process is to pass the initial screening by having good academic credentials.

Taking 4th time is frowned upon, but so is having that low of a score after taking it 3 times. You are below average applicant and while you aren't out for the count, you are hovering there. Study for the DAT as if your future is dentistry is depended on it. Not showing drastic improvement after taking it 4 times would be very damaging. Study til you consistently get 21+ in DAT bootcamp and other materials.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you all and yeah I know I'm currently enrolled in a master's program at Rutgers. I know my stats are not good but I did get wait listed at Rutgers and Boston. I felt very fortunate that's for sure plus my application wasn't complete till September took forever for the DAT scores to get in. I'll have to think about retaking the dat again and weigh my options. It really sucks but I'm sure I'm not alone :/ thanks again for all the input.

I give you credit for taking that beast 3 times. I couldn't bare to sit in that room again even if someone paid me... That's dedication right there.