Hobbies on CV, ERAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Perfect Hair Day

Grapes of Wrath, Chocolate Ice Cream, Johnny Cash.
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard through the grapevine, though not on any authority whatsoever, that discussing hobbies and interests can help humanize an applicant, demonstrate that they aren't just about work and studying, that they have a good work life balance. I have some pretty vanilla hobbies (cooking, driving) but I've taken them to a high level (cooking website, car commercial auditions), and wondering if these are worthwhile to mention on my CV in the hobbies and interests section?

Members don't see this ad.

It's funny because those are two of my hobbies as well (along with cycling, travel, music)
Can't really find a way to put "canyon carving, road tripping" in a professional manner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's funny because those are two of my hobbies as well (along with cycling, travel, music)
Can't really find a way to put "canyon carving, road tripping" in a professional manner

Nice.

I suppose my attitude towards this is if I can demonstrate that I've achieved some kind of accomplishment with it, then I can justify including it on my CV. Does that make sense?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think that is necessarily true. I know for a fact my deep affinity for cars and motor sports have enabled me to have personable relationships with a couple of chief attendings I've met in third year.
(I show my pride and joy z3m coupe to anyone that tells me they're into cars)

I don't think that is necessarily true. I know for a fact my deep affinity for cars and motor sports have enabled me to have personable relationships with a couple of chief attendings I've met in third year.
(I show my pride and joy z3m coupe to anyone that tells me they're into cars)

Nice, I'd love one in Purple with a ton of chrome on deck.

One line at the very end of your CV is cool. On the interview trail, several PDs asked about my Bonsai tree nursery.

Although I've been advised not to put motorcycling :(

"I enjoy exploring the world by road." I also like long walks on the beach and drawing women like French girls.

As someone who reviews hundreds and hundreds (and hundreds) of applications per year, definitely put it down. It (1) is a good ice breaker for interviews when the interviewer shares any of your interests/hobbies, and (2) is interesting to see what people are interested in outside of medicine.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes! As someone who has been an interviewer, putting in hobbies and interesting non-medical stuff makes the interview much easier and memorable. It's to your benefit.

Members don't see this ad :)
Huge benefit if people in that program share your hobby. Minor hit if nobody shares it and it sounds weird. Skiing? Fine, put it down. Hand modeling? Probably not a good idea. Crafting your own beer? Someone will think that's cool. Wet T-shirt contest three time winner- major red flag. Hunting? Probably fine in a residency in Arkansas or Idaho. Not so fine in the Bay Area.

So yes, you want to be interesting, but you also want to be smart about what you put down. There is nothing that requires you to put all your hobbies down.

Huge benefit if people in that program share your hobby. Minor hit if nobody shares it and it sounds weird. Skiing? Fine, put it down. Hand modeling? Probably not a good idea. Crafting your own beer? Someone will think that's cool. Wet T-shirt contest three time winner- major red flag. Hunting? Probably fine in a residency in Arkansas or Idaho. Not so fine in the Bay Area.

So yes, you want to be interesting, but you also want to be smart about what you put down. There is nothing that requires you to put all your hobbies down.

what do you have against hand models?

For my hobbies I put playing guitar, engine mechanics, and bow fishing. I thought it was a stretch to put the bowfishing down but it's a big part of my passion and if a program didn't want me because of something like that then I didn't need to go there. It's incredibly obscure and probably 99% of the people on SDN have never tried it. That being said it was one of the main talking points in at least 10 of my interviews. I would highly suggest putting down your hobbies...even if they are obscure.

Edit: I also applied primarily in the south so what Whitecoat Investor said obviously applies

For my hobbies I put playing guitar, engine mechanics, and bow fishing. I thought it was a stretch to put the bowfishing down but it's a big part of my passion and if a program didn't want me because of something like that then I didn't need to go there. It's incredibly obscure and probably 99% of the people on SDN have never tried it.

I'd say that 99% of SDN doesn't even know what it is.

I was asked about homebrewing beer and woodworking multiple times in interviews. I'd say put it down, EM is a specialty which appreciates this kind of stuff. But... just don't be weird.

I would definitely interview someone who was a hand model just to ask questions on that.

any thoughts on putting down fountain pens, paintball, and watches? And perhaps traveling around the world on points?

any thoughts on putting down fountain pens, paintball, and watches? And perhaps traveling around the world on points?

Are you my twin?
Good idea on the watches. I have a collection of ten.

About half my interview usually revolves around discussing people's hobbies. There's only so many times I can hear the same answer to the question, "why do you want to do EM". You should absolutely list them, and be prepared to talk about them.

The interview is about getting to know people, and getting a sense of they would fit in with your group as well as whether they'd like living in your area. Discussing interests outside of medicine helps you get a sense of that.

For my hobbies I put playing guitar, engine mechanics, and bow fishing. I thought it was a stretch to put the bowfishing down but it's a big part of my passion and if a program didn't want me because of something like that then I didn't need to go there. It's incredibly obscure and probably 99% of the people on SDN have never tried it. That being said it was one of the main talking points in at least 10 of my interviews. I would highly suggest putting down your hobbies...even if they are obscure.

Edit: I also applied primarily in the south so what Whitecoat Investor said obviously applies

I'm the 1% lol... Ive done a fair bit of curbing invasive species in my local rivers and lakes ;)

Interesting on the hunting thing and the south. Hunting is definitely my #1 hobbie so I am going to need to figure out how to approach that...but good to hear that bowfishing got some love on the interview trail.

I'm the 1% lol... Ive done a fair bit of curbing invasive species in my local rivers and lakes ;)

Interesting on the hunting thing and the south. Hunting is definitely my #1 hobbie so I am going to need to figure out how to approach that...but good to hear that bowfishing got some love on the interview trail.

I don't mean to single your quote out about hunting, but I agree to some extent with what WCI said to a degree - that in certain places, certain interests may prejudice your application; at the same time, these hobbies are important to you and probably shape a lot of your life outside of the ED - would you want to work in a place that sees you as an outsider? Program X is probably doing you both a favor if they pass over your app because of hobby A. All this to say, include your hobbies and interests and cross your fingers that your people find you ;) Good luck to everyone in the cycle.

Line item for CV: "Aquatic ecosystems and fauna moderator"

Reactions: 1 users
Is anyone else on here an avid mountain biker? (someone HAS to be).

PM me, please. I want to get back into the sport; but I have a ton of questions.

It's incredibly obscure and probably 99% of the people on SDN have never tried it.

Regular bowfisher here. Have also tried (and kept) my hand at noodling. Am a redneck at heart.

Only an M4 and am applying this cycle, but I listed "Cooking, self-proclaimed foodie and BBQ connoisseur" in my hobbies. Will report back if it works.

Would you consider bringing ribs to your interview? :)

Haha - I would 100% do that if I wasn't afraid of it looking like I'm brown-nosing too hard.

I actually love using my smoker to cook for group events - so that wouldn't even really be that atypical for me.

Haha - I would 100% do that if I wasn't afraid of it looking like I'm brown-nosing too hard.

I actually love using my smoker to cook for group events - so that wouldn't even really be that atypical for me.

I super do this on my hospital rotations whenever there's a big team of students, nurses, staff - I basically just make a big lot of something delicious and bring it in on Friday for everyone. This week it's a cookies & Creme fudge

I took home-made deer jerky to one of my away rotations and when I matched there one of the first emails I got was from one of the attendings telling me I better be stocked up!

Reactions: 2 users

I'd strongly second this, I've got a strongly location specific main sport and had a lot of program directors tell me I wouldn't be happy with their program. Also I play traditional Irish tin whistle and dear freaking god got tired of explaining what that is and having people give me strange looks.

In retrospect woulda left my hobbies blank or just said something dumb and generic.