Holding multiple acceptances after waitlist movement past April 30th

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

keanureaves

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m a bit confused regarding protocol for multiple acceptances. I know that if you had multiple acceptances, you could had to narrow it down to one by April 30th. I’ve only had one acceptance through that deadline and I’ve received an additional acceptance from a waitlist (post April 30th).

I’ve read through the traffic rules and general CYMS tool facts but I’m still confused how to proceed. There are a variety of factors that I want to consider before making a decision, first and foremost tuition and aid. I have not yet responded to the waitlist offer - will there be any penalties for accepting the offer via the school’s portal? Ideally I’d like to see a financial aid package before I make a decision. Additionally the school that accepted me off the waitlist has 3 campuses, 2 of which I would give up my pre-April 30th acceptance for, and the third campus (which I was accepted to) is where I’m currently placed, but site assignments aren’t final until I actually accept the offer. So, I’d like to see if I can end up at any of the other 2 campuses.

I guess my post boils down to this: considering it’s past April 30th, can I accept a second acceptance offer from a waitlist on that school’s portal? Or will I be penalized?

Members don't see this ad.

You are looking for a global rule, which simply does not exist, so no one here can give you an answer. Enforcement of whatever requirements schools impose on you post-4/30 is done exclusively by the schools themselves.

Whatever you do via a school's portal is great. The question is, have they given you a deadline to select them as your PTE school in CYMS? They almost certainly have, in which case, failing to meet it or get an extension will result in the "penalty" of having your acceptance rescinded.

You can only select one PTE school at a time, so selecting the new school as PTE will result in the "penalty" of the first school dropping you, whether or not you formally withdraw. Other than this, no, there are no penalties associated with having multiple acceptances after 4/30.

Most schools give you a deadline of like a week to accept the waitlist position. Find out what the deadline is.

Members don't see this ad :)
You are looking for a global rule, which simply does not exist, so no one here can give you an answer. Enforcement of whatever requirements schools impose on you post-4/30 is done exclusively by the schools themselves.

Whatever you do via a school's portal is great. The question is, have they given you a deadline to select them as your PTE school in CYMS? They almost certainly have, in which case, failing to meet it or get an extension will result in the "penalty" of having your acceptance rescinded.

You can only select one PTE school at a time, so selecting the new school as PTE will result in the "penalty" of the first school dropping you, whether or not you formally withdraw. Other than this, no, there are no penalties associated with having multiple acceptances after 4/30.
Thanks for the response. I know you can’t provide a definitive answer on this but from what I gathered in your response, I could accept the offer through school 2’s (school that accepted me off waitlist) portal, if I am within the PTE deadline, without affecting my acceptance at school 1?
Most schools give you a deadline of like a week to accept the waitlist position. Find out what the deadline is.
I’ve reached out to the school that accepted me off the waitlist regarding when I have to respond by. Per traffic rules it’s minimum 5 days. I’m still wondering whether I can accept the offer through their portal now and delay the PTE while I weigh pros/cons of each school.

Reactions: 1 users
If you do that both schools will find out you have PTE at more than 1 school and will remove you. That is the danger

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
If you do that both schools will find out you have PTE atore than 1 school and will remove you. That is the danger
Even if I’m just accepting through the portal but taking no action on PTE?

@gonnif would appreciate your input here.

Thanks for the response. I know you can’t provide a definitive answer on this but from what I gathered in your response, I could accept the offer through school 2’s (school that accepted me off waitlist) portal, if I am within the PTE deadline, without affecting my acceptance at school 1?

I’ve reached out to the school that accepted me off the waitlist regarding when I have to respond by. Per traffic rules it’s minimum 5 days. I’m still wondering whether I can accept the offer through their portal now and delay the PTE while I weigh pros/cons of each school.
You have to tell new school yes or no by their deadline. That’s very simple.

Reactions: 1 users
Even if I’m just accepting through the portal but taking no action on PTE?

@gonnif would appreciate your input here.

If it were that simple, the whole system wouldn't work. Make a choice on WL school in 5 days. That's it. Be honest like Keanu Reeves would...

Last edited:

Totally. The first school won't see anything until you do something with the second school in CYMS. Yes, accept the offer through the portal, and then communicate with them to establish a PTE deadline, get an extension, if necessary, and resolve all of your concerns regarding fin aid.

As I said, you can only have one school as PTE, and you don't want to jeopardize your acceptance at the first school until you know what you are going to do with the second one. The second school knows you are already PTE elsewhere. Accepting through their portal while not selecting them as PTE will let them know exactly what is going on.

As long as they are fine with it, you are good. They should not make you do anything with PTE before you get answers on fin aid and whether you will be able to get the campus you want, but, as I said before, they can do whatever they want because there are no rules govening what they do with this in the middle of May. Even the "minimum 5 days" are just a guideline. Just communicate with the school, and there will be no unpleasant surprises.

Last edited:
If you do that both schools will find out you have PTE at more than 1 school and will remove you. That is the danger
Wrong. You cannot be PTE at more than one school, so there is nothing to see there. That is NOT a danger. The risk is that the second school might require a PTE selection, before providing all desired information, which would force OP to drop the first PTE.

If it were that simple, the whole system wouldn't work. Make a choice on WL school in 5 days. That's it. Be honest like Keanu Reeves would...
Nope. It IS that simple, and the system works just fine, even with a lot of people holding multiple As after 4/30. There is nothing dishonest about asking for and receiving extensions from schools while taking the time necessary to gather needed information to make an informed decision.

OP is fine taking no action on PTE, as long as the school is okay with it. Which they should be while answering questions and providing requested information regarding costs and campus location. The existing PTE school does not get a vote while OP is working things out with the new school. They cannot see anything unless and until OP drops them to make a different PTE selection.

There is a danger..

He said they require a PTE selection in 5 days so he must withdraw from other school to PTE at 2nd school he is WL at.

Most schools won't allow extensions at this point more than a week.

There is a danger..

He said they require a PTE selection in 5 days so he must withdraw from other school to PTE at 2nd school he is WL at.

Most schools won't allow extensions at this point more than a week.
Absolutely not true. In fact, I have not encountered a single school that is not liberal in granting deadline extensions for a variety of reasons, financial aid being the most common, in spite of @gonnif's repeated admonitions that schools don't have to tell us anything before requiring decisions or commitments.

There is nothing special about "this point." It's the middle of May, not 2 days before orientation! :)

two different things.

1) My admonition remains. I find far too many acceptees who barely understand this, frankly ridiculous and inefficient "Choose Your Medical School" tool with PTE, CTE, etc and far too frequently assume too many factors that somehow release them from taking action such as PTE, CTE, or requesting an extension. While at this point it is highly unlikely to cause an issue with the thousands of acceptee, I dont someone to the be the one person out of 20,000+ who loses their place due to some stupid assumption they made, some action they didnt take, or the victim of a school that still had their system configured to automatically remove students that didnt respond to deadline.

2) The vast majority of schools will give extensions to deadlines when acceptees are still waiting on FA or WL from other schools. I will warn however that every cycle that PTE/CTE have been contacted by at least one student, their parents, or a lawyer about acceptance being rescinded after extension, particularly when they either do not contact the school prior asking for additional extension, or make the assumption:
a) that the extension that ends on a Sunday means they have until Monday (was automatically rescinded from school A, went to school B;
b) an extension means it ends 11:59pm for that date and not the End of Business (5pm) or even beginning of the day (got into WL school)
c) didnt respond to a deadline email while hoping against hope the other school will provide whatever (no idea what happened)

So as @KnightDoc points out these are rare events that no one hears about and the risk is so low as to be approaching zero. I just dont want the one student who find themselves in this rare event to be, as my father would have said "screwed blue and tattooed"
VERY well said.

And, for the record, as just another Type A premed, I would never make any assumptions regarding deadlines not being enforced. I have always asked for and received extensions. My advice was based on not yet being denied one while waiting for answers to questions, in spite of your technically correct advice that schools are not obligated to grant them.

Reactions: 1 user