Home Call

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mabinante

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have done some searching online and can't find the answer. I'm in a DO California FP program. My program is trying to say that Home call doesn't count as duty hours. I'm sorry to say but when I'm on home call I get absolutely no meaningful rest. I heard ACGME counts home call as call but does anyone know about AOA rules?

Members don't see this ad.

I have done some searching online and can't find the answer. I'm in a DO California FP program. My program is trying to say that Home call doesn't count as duty hours. I'm sorry to say but when I'm on home call I get absolutely no meaningful rest. I heard ACGME counts home call as call but does anyone know about AOA rules?

Google is your friend, https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...8oy1p8mFORjRDjg&bvm=bv.97653015,d.eXY&cad=rja

For the ACGME home call only counts towards your 80 hours if you have to come into the hospital for anything, answering the phone from your house doesn't. The AOA follows that policy as well.

Reactions: 1 users
Oh shoot. I read that before but didn't see the home call part. Thanks!

11 months. 11 months. 11 months......

Members don't see this ad :)
We did something brilliant this year where we paired our home call with night float. We have 8 residents in PGY2 and 8 PGY3 for backup. So I'm on home call for 2 wk at a time although the on-call PGY3 covers those calls Saturday 7a- Sunday 6p when I'm off. We do 6 wk of alternating night float each over the year and I think that beats so many random 3-day stretches of home call interfering with sleep when I'm "off" as opposed to when I'm in the hospital and awake already.
Since I didn't bother with AOA programs I don't know the rules and if you don't have a night float system this wouldn't work for you, but we like it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I had people tell me how great home call is. It sounds like an effing nightmare. If I get called in, I'd just stay there. Plus, I'd be too ****ing nervous to be able to address everything over the phone. I'd end up going in. I don't get the point of home call unless you're strictly covering outpatient issues.

I had people tell me how great home call is. It sounds like an effing nightmare. If I get called in, I'd just stay there. Plus, I'd be too ****ing nervous to be able to address everything over the phone. I'd end up going in. I don't get the point of home call unless you're strictly covering outpatient issues.
I agree, I hate home call. It always ends as (if you hurt that bad you need to go to the ER). Stupid calls all night from nursing, never get any sleep. etc etc etc.