Home Infusion Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IowaPharmKid

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!
I am interested in being a home infusion pharmacist. I have seen there are home infusion residencies available, but I was wondering if a residency is required to obtain a position as a home infusion pharmacist or could you get one right out of school? What are the benefits of doing a residency?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Residency is not necessary. If you can get an intern position in home infusion while in school, it would probably be just as good. In terms of benefits of completing a residency...probably few. In hospitals a residency might let you get a clinical position. Conversely, home infusion is distributive in nature, so I doubt it would do anything for you.

Home Infusion RPH positions do not require residency at my facitlity. A minority do have them.

Same for inpatient (for now) ...seems to depend on management. The older directors without residency seem to be (Slightly) more willing to hire people without residency. However, they need be known (aka networked). Some places will have residency trained RPHs do the clinical, and the non-residency do the verification, checking oral syringes, etc. Other places rotate all staff irregardless of training.