Honestly need help with future planning

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cofffeeee543

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Background: graduated with a 2.55 cGPA, 3.2 sGPA.

It's extremely low because I was physically and violently assaulted, and struggled to reach out. My academics did suffer because of this, but I understand with bit of time I will be able to recover in all aspects.

Goal:
1. MD.
1A. If not, DO.
1B. Caribbean.

I understand I need to get my GPA up, which I intend to do through, as I am enrolled to begin a secondary undergraduate degree program. I am also retaking two of the pre-reqs I did very poorly in.

I am also looking into taking classes at Harvard Extension School and obtain a Master's degree with a concentration in Biology. This path was recommended to me by a family friend. I am mainly attracted to it because it allows me to be at home, which is something very important to me at the moment and because I have genuine always loved learning. I've taken one of the classes offered through the extension school and find it to be doable and enjoyable. I'm not worried about the difficulty of it, but I'm just worried about the optics of this program on my application. The reviews from SDN have me a bit worried. I do expect a 3.8, maybe a 4.0, but I'd rather not waste time or money if this program would take away from my application. I'm also interested because I believe that this will show medical admissions that I can handle tough coursework and that my undergraduate career was just because I was dealing with personal trauma.

If not, I am interested in online MPH programs. The reason I am choosing online is because my family is going through a lot of difficulties at the moment, and my presence at home is necessary, especially to the sibling I'm basically raising. Online work is doable in my scenario, leaving the house is just the main difficulty I have at the moment.

Sorry for how long this was.

I appreciate any and all suggestions.

Thank you in advance for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

An SMP can help assuage (though, it will not cure) a low undergraduate GPA. Apply to an SMP (if it isn't too late) and preferably one with a medical school as sometimes the SMP can open doors to the home school.

Additionally, study for your MCAT like there is no tomorrow - you've got an uphill battle because of your GPA, there's no getting around that. However, an impressive (515+) MCAT score can certainly make admissions committees think you're worthy of an interview to prove yourself. Good Luck.

An SMP can help assuage (though, it will not cure) a low undergraduate GPA. Apply to an SMP (if it isn't too late) and preferably one with a medical school as sometimes the SMP can open doors to the home school.

Additionally, study for your MCAT like there is no tomorrow - you've got an uphill battle because of your GPA, there's no getting around that. However, an impressive (515+) MCAT score can certainly make admissions committees think you're worthy of an interview to prove yourself. Good Luck.

SMP's are for people with 3.0-3.5 GPA's (both total and BCPM, I am pretty sure), so they need GPA repair to even do the SMP, if I'm correct.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile