Hospital Interview Help Needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zelman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN! I’ve got an interview for a per diem hospital gig next week and I’ve been working retail for the past 5 years. Can anyone recommend some literature I should get up to date on? I know vancomycin dosing changed recently, but I’m not sure how best to learn about it. If anyone can post a journal article or guideline that might help me sound more prepared? Thanks!

P.S. Any “tell me about a time when…” questions you commonly use/see would be appreciated, too.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey SDN! I’ve got an interview for a per diem hospital gig next week and I’ve been working retail for the past 5 years. Can anyone recommend some literature I should get up to date on? I know vancomycin dosing changed recently, but I’m not sure how best to learn about it. If anyone can post a journal article or guideline that might help me sound more prepared? Thanks!

P.S. Any “tell me about a time when…” questions you commonly use/see would be appreciated, too.

Maybe some anticoag guidelines, renal adjustments, vanco nomograms.

The second question, I would bring up things like delivering meds directly to patients when its out of your way.

What kind of "hospital gig"? : inpatient?, outpatient?, AmbCare ?
Also what is your position in retail ? Float? Staff ? Or manager?

Members don't see this ad :)
What kind of "hospital gig"? : inpatient?, outpatient?, AmbCare ?
Also what is your position in retail ? Float? Staff ? Or manager?
Inpatient hospital in a rural area. Working as a staff pharmacist at Walmart since relocating here 5 years ago.

Inpatient hospital in a rural area. Working as a staff pharmacist at Walmart since relocating here 5 years ago.
I would not worry about clinical stuff yet. First, you haven't got the job yet, then why spending time on things that you might not need. Second, the hospital hiring people know that you have been working retail and they probably don't expect you to be up-to-date with inpatient knowledge. However, they probably still ask you questions related to clinical with a purpose not to test your clinical knowledge but to see how you would response in those situation. I would focus on the followings:
1/ Doesn't matter what job you apply for, your boss always wants to know if you are a "reliable" worker. Can they trust you with daily operation of the pharmacy? Would you do the right things without being watched ? Would you help them with compliance/SOP ?

2/ What kind of a team player are you? Are you someone that is willing to jump in the solve the problems or just "leave it to the manager"? Are you willing to do "technician tasks" if needed? or are you the "mighty RPh" who just watch their techs struggle ?

3/ How would you convince them that you are able to change/learn/adapt to the new position? What have you done in the past to support your claim?

Hope it helps ! Good luck !

Reactions: 1 user
I would not worry about clinical stuff yet. First, you haven't got the job yet, then why spending time on things that you might not need. Second, the hospital hiring people know that you have been working retail and they probably don't expect you to be up-to-date with inpatient knowledge. However, they probably still ask you questions related to clinical with a purpose not to test your clinical knowledge but to see how you would response in those situation. I would focus on the followings:
1/ Doesn't matter what job you apply for, your boss always wants to know if you are a "reliable" worker. Can they trust you with daily operation of the pharmacy? Would you do the right things without being watched ? Would you help them with compliance/SOP ?

2/ What kind of a team player are you? Are you someone that is willing to jump in the solve the problems or just "leave it to the manager"? Are you willing to do "technician tasks" if needed? or are you the "mighty RPh" who just watch their techs struggle ?

3/ How would you convince them that you are able to change/learn/adapt to the new position? What have you done in the past to support your claim?

Hope it helps ! Good luck !
I agree. They will most likely not ask you about clinical stuff. They will ask you about the things mentioned by RN2RPH, and how well you can delegate tasks/direct ancillary staff, etc. They also like rphs with past leadership roles too.