Hospital Pharmacy Hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmstudent2019

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know most jobs in the hospital setting are done in 3 shifts. Is this the same for pharmacy?

For example, would one shift for a pharmacist be 7 to 3, and another one would come in 3 to 11? Or do they work 12 hours?

Members don't see this ad.

I guess I can't speak for ALL the hospitals. However, many hospitals I know (NYC) are in 3 shifts(8hrs+1hr lunch). Day, evening, and overnight.

Members don't see this ad :)
Often but not always. I have been at regular shifts as you said, but also others that changes up a bit. Day shifts often have overlaps, night/evening shifts are often 10 or 12 hours, gets even more customized on weekends. There is cost incentives for many small/mid sized hospitals to shift to remote pharmacy at nights.

I know most jobs in the hospital setting are done in 3 shifts. Is this the same for pharmacy?

For example, would one shift for a pharmacist be 7 to 3, and another one would come in 3 to 11? Or do they work 12 hours?
A lot of times, the 12 hour shifts are used by the overnight pharmacists ( 7 on 7 off ) while the day time pharmacists work 8 hour shifts with maybe 1 or 2 hours of overlap.

think so,There is cost incentives for many small/mid sized hospitals to shift to remote pharmacy at nights.thanks
6WrS

Our shifts at our hospital
6:30 -3
7-3:30
8-4:30
9-5:30
9a-9:30p
11-7:30
1-9:30
2-10:30
9p-7a
9:30p -7:30a

so as you can see, it is gonna vary

How? 8 hours is better than 10 hours.

I agree. That shift would be terrible. If I had to work overnights, 10 hours 7on7off only.

Would you want to do 5 days of 11-7 every week? Your 2 off days would not be enough to convert.

I agree. That shift would be terrible. If I had to work overnights, 10 hours 7on7off only.

Would you want to do 5 days of 11-7 every week? Your 2 off days would not be enough to convert.

It would be 4 days a week and every other weekend. Convert? I thought you guys just become permanent nightwalkers and sleep during the day. Then again, most of what I like to do happens at night so it's easier for me.

overnight shifts should NEVER be 8 hours, you lose the 7 on 7 off aspect and the work 70 get paid for 80 part.

We stagger for a variety of reason, 1. provide better lunch coverage
2. Base it on where our services are needed decentralized (ED gets 24/7 coverage, onc floor 8-4:30 PACU 9-5:30) to maximize us being there when we want.
3. Better transition on and off between shifts.

Members don't see this ad :)
It would be 4 days a week and every other weekend. Convert? I thought you guys just become permanent nightwalkers and sleep during the day. Then again, most of what I like to do happens at night so it's easier for me.

Convert to days.

I don't work overnights but I wouldn't do what you're proposing. How would 4 nights and every other weekend work with a partner?

Convert to days.

I don't work overnights but I wouldn't do what you're proposing. How would 4 nights and every other weekend work with a partner?

they wouldn't

plus there are about 1 out of 3000 people who would actually do that shift. I did nights for a year - 7 on 7 off, 10 hour nights

Isn't 7 on-7 off standard for most night shift jobs? As has been mentioned, the vast majority of people do NOT want to work 5 on-2 off when working night shift. Even on 1st shift, I've always preferred 10 - 12 hour days when I've been able to get it....says one time dressing for & commuting to work.

We have one pharmacist and one technician who work Monday through Thursday nights, 9pm to 7am, every week (minus vacation time). We have two pharmacists that alternate every other weekend, working the same hours Friday through Sunday nights. When the primary night pharmacist takes time off/calls in sick/etc, most of the other pharmacists are in a pool to work nights and uusually end up with 3-5 night shifts per year. Works well for us.

The one thing I don't like is how often day shift people call in sick and it is not treated as a big deal, but if an afternoon-evening shift or overnight person calls in, it's a big deal.
our third shift people never call out - they are tough SOB's - one missed work for the first time in 5 years - we all knew he was sick.

actually at our place, virtually nobody calls out (minus one or two of the "usual suspects") and it is never a big deal

our third shift people never call out - they are tough SOB's - one missed work for the first time in 5 years - we all knew he was sick.

actually at our place, virtually nobody calls out (minus one or two of the "usual suspects") and it is never a big deal

Do you guys get paid out for unused sick time?

Do you guys get paid out for unused sick time?
not sure if you remember our convo on a different thread - one bank of PDO (vacation, sick, and holiday) between 200 (5 weeks) and 320 hours (8weeks) of total PDO time each year (depending on how long you have been there). can carry over 240 hours every year, you get paid out what you have left in your bank when you quit

not sure if you remember our convo on a different thread - one bank of PDO (vacation, sick, and holiday) between 200 (5 weeks) and 320 hours (8weeks) of total PDO time each year (depending on how long you have been there). can carry over 240 hours every year, you get paid out what you have left in your bank when you quit

Ah yes, in your system it is beneficial to only call out when you absolutely need to.

Ah yes, in your system it is beneficial to only call out when you absolutely need to.
yup and I prefer it (so I get to take nice long vacations) - next year taking 3 weeks off at one time for wedding/honeymoon - and still will have four weeks to burn