Hospital suing NJ NAPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

circleK

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reactions: 1 user
“But, we offer SYNERGY!! And METRICS!!”

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
“But, we offer SYNERGY!! And METRICS!!”
And charts and graphs and corporate people with expense accounts flying business class taking care of “everything else” so the doctors (the sole and only money generator) can focus on “medicine”.

actually one of my partners thinks envision is next... I say napa. what do y'all think?

Any new developments on this story?

Just a quick Google news search says NAPA has some recently announced acquisitions, including a hospital in the Penn State system. While NAPA faces some trouble with some large and powerful hospital systems, I don’t think they are going anywhere anytime soon…at least as long as the private equity guys can maintain margins that bring in returns on investment.

Any new developments on this story?

Just a quick Google news search says NAPA has some recently announced acquisitions, including a hospital in the Penn State system. While NAPA faces some trouble with some large and powerful hospital systems, I don’t think they are going anywhere anytime soon…at least as long as the private equity guys can maintain margins that bring in returns on investment.

Just keep marching onto the next dummy.

actually one of my partners thinks envision is next... I say napa. what do y'all think?
Envision falling will accelerate every other practice that is heavy in debt. KKR financed envision going private with 9 billion in mostly junk bonds. Hoping for a quick 13 billion or so valuation flip.

Envison is worth maybe half of that with KKR kicking the can ( the debt owed ) again in April.

They are basically homeowners circa 2009 underwater and just collecting rent without paying down the mortgage.

Labor cost especially with crnas figuring out they can make 400k easily doing locums are killing Envison and not working more than 45 plus hours.

Napa is more tightly controlled than envision so I don’t think they will fail first.

Very interesting take - as usual you offer good insight.
What about envision splitting the crap parts into another company, sucking all the money out and then dumping the new company in bankruptcy?

It’s all a race to the bottom….

I see envision…Napa…Northstar…USAP in that order but will take years and not all at once. Different local groups will fall before whole organization does

No surprises act was the death blow. These companies will not be able to negotiate rates to get the returns private equity wants in the face of ever increasing admin/nurse/non MD costs. Simple math.

Will slowly either reform private groups….or unfortunately, much more likely will become hospital employees as hospitals will be the only entities able to negotiate higher rates

I see this taking 10-15 years to play out with possibly a few local private equity backed practices that have great payer mixes/or utilization hanging on…if they cut loose the bad ones

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

The ratings downgrade reflects the Company's weak liquidity, increase in debt levels, and Moody's expectation that operating performance will continue to deteriorate given labor pressures impacting the industry. Further, the downgrade reflects the risk surrounding the ongoing sustainability of the business, which has continued to be negatively impacted from Covid-19.

Governance risk considerations are material to the rating action. Moody's believes that the change in the security package and the addition of the super senior debt, materially changes the ability of Envision to service its existing debt.

The outlook is stable. Moody's expects the company to remain distressed and there is a heightened risk of default given the weak liquidity and risks surrounding the ongoing sustainability of the business.

It’s all a race to the bottom….

I see envision…Napa…Northstar…USAP in that order but will take years and not all at once. Different local groups will fall before whole organization does

No surprises act was the death blow. These companies will not be able to negotiate rates to get the returns private equity wants in the face of ever increasing admin/nurse/non MD costs. Simple math.

Will slowly either reform private groups….or unfortunately, much more likely will become hospital employees as hospitals will be the only entities able to negotiate higher rates

I see this taking 10-15 years to play out with possibly a few local private equity backed practices that have great payer mixes/or utilization hanging on…if they cut loose the bad ones
It appears Envision has raised enough Capital and restructured debt, to survive another 2 years. Of course, longer term the business model is doomed to fail as costs rise due to increasing salaries of providers while reimbursement models are not going to be as favorable with the No Surprise ACT. Still, the executives will use all the legal and business laws to survive as long as possible.

The ratings downgrade reflects the Company's weak liquidity, increase in debt levels, and Moody's expectation that operating performance will continue to deteriorate given labor pressures impacting the industry. Further, the downgrade reflects the risk surrounding the ongoing sustainability of the business, which has continued to be negatively impacted from Covid-19.

Governance risk considerations are material to the rating action. Moody's believes that the change in the security package and the addition of the super senior debt, materially changes the ability of Envision to service its existing debt.

The outlook is stable. Moody's expects the company to remain distressed and there is a heightened risk of default given the weak liquidity and risks surrounding the ongoing sustainability of the business.
$300 million loan!! Time for all the boys in the admin suite and on the “board” to give themselves some major bonuses!! After all, how you gonna retain all these brilliant paper shufflers, if you don’t use some of that loan money to reward all that “strong leadership”????

you-love-to-see-it-howard-gayle.gif

Theres another hospital in Jersey that is kicking Envision out close to NY. Cant say more at this point. but their docs are going to be brought in house and indemnified. Looks like a snowball effect.

Fail to see how any private practice anesthesia practice is sustainable with reimbursements decreasing and the no surprises act.

Who do you all see failing first, the local groups or the nat'l groups?

Reactions: 1 users
Fail to see how any private practice anesthesia practice is sustainable with reimbursements decreasing and the no surprises act.

Who do you all see failing first, the local groups or the nat'l groups?

Insurers are already trying to push rates down to medicare rates, using recent legislative changes as a bludgeon. I foresee pay falling and people trying to make up the difference from the hospital either through increased stipends or direct employment. It will be difficult for the national groups to continue taking their cut while maintaining staffing when they're already in trouble.

Reactions: 1 users
The end game is hospital employment. Rapidly headed toward a single government payer system. Miserable rates with increasing overhead bloat. There’s no way around it. Collect your W2 and enjoy your life.

Reactions: 3 users
The end game is hospital employment. Rapidly headed toward a single government payer system. Miserable rates with increasing overhead bloat. There’s no way around it. Collect your W2 and enjoy your life.

Agree with this. We are more valuable to a hospital or surgicenter than we are to any insurance co, government payor, or PE company. Hospitals directly see our value, the others don’t.

Reactions: 7 users
Insurers are already trying to push rates down to medicare rates, using recent legislative changes as a bludgeon. I foresee pay falling and people trying to make up the difference from the hospital either through increased stipends or direct employment. It will be difficult for the national groups to continue taking their cut while maintaining staffing when they're already in trouble.
So say no to any buy-in from private group.

So say no to any buy-in from private group.
Not necessarily. Have to look at total package. Hospital will have to give groups a subsidy if want to maintain the group and adequate staffing should rates tank.