NAPA and Orange County, CA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

likewhatevs

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Uh oh. Things seem to be getting even worse for anesthesiologists in Orange County, California. NAPA has reportedly picked up the pieces of three contracts that Envision either lost or is giving up.

For the sake of those anesthesiologists, I hope they don't have to answer to the Chief Swindler, WT, who works at the a not-quite-a-hospital Orange (Orange Global, it might still be calling itself).

It's only a rumor at this point, but it's terrible. If your site is so bad that NAPA is rumored to be involved, I am sorry for you.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Fountain Valley
Lakewood
Placentia Linda

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hourly rate. That is the only arrangement to enter into with those fu(kers.

Reactions: 2 users
Yep. Hourly rate with guaranteed number of hours.
Considering the market hourly rate is equivalent of $300/hr assuming 40 hours (daytime) and no weekends and 10 weeks off. That’s 500k no calls no weekends.

Anything less than that better have other incentives.

10% premium should be paid for hours after 7pm
15% premium after 11pm weeknights.
20% premium on weekend daytime
25% premium on weekends after 7pm

Considering the market hourly rate is equivalent of $300/hr assuming 40 hours (daytime) and no weekends and 10 weeks off. That’s 500k no calls no weekends.

No jobs in OC that pay that much for no calls and no weekends.

Most ASC jobs, which you described, are 300-400k for that

No jobs in OC that pay that much for no calls and no weekends.

Most ASC jobs, which you described, are 300-400k for that
I care about the total hours worked plus the acuity. An asc job is usually jammed packed 9-10 hours days equivalent to 12 hours of hospitals work with its built in inefficiency.

Busy asc 45 hours/400k equivalent to hospital 55-60 hour work week (in my opinion) per 5 days factoring workload.

If someone is getting paid “hourly”. What exactly is the California hourly w2 wage? And how much is guaranteed daily. That is the key. Never agree to a weekly guaranteed w2 hourly wage. Has to be daily hourly wage guaranteed. This protects you from short days when low volume.

A few groups I know have this as a rough model:

After 3pm: 1.25x
After 5pm: 1.5x
After 7pm: 1.75x
After 9pm: 2x

Hospital picks up the differential, paid by OR time only NOT anesthesia time. Encourages them to only do necessary cases AND be efficient with OR staff distribution. Puts the burden on them instead of making us pay for their failures. For months, the hospitals couldn't staff enough ORs after hours, so the docs had to sit there and still get paid 1.5x or more while waiting for OR staff to show up to roll a case back. Only way to make it fair.

Reactions: 2 users
A few groups I know have this as a rough model:

After 3pm: 1.25x
After 5pm: 1.5x
After 7pm: 1.75x
After 9pm: 2x

Hospital picks up the differential, paid by OR time only NOT anesthesia time. Encourages them to only do necessary cases AND be efficient with OR staff distribution. Puts the burden on them instead of making us pay for their failures. For months, the hospitals couldn't staff enough ORs after hours, so the docs had to sit there and still get paid 1.5x or more while waiting for OR staff to show up to roll a case back. Only way to make it fair.
That’s not bad. Pay someone enough, you will find someone to work

It’s amazing we find crna’s at our workplace on weekends when overtime hits $220/hr. Lots of people sign up when they get that rate.