Hospital vs Practice Shadowing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medical Bear

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I was wondering what your experiences have been shadowing a doctor in a hospital vs. shadowing a doctor in a private practice? Which would you say is better, pro's and con's of each, and what year did you begin shadowing. Additionally, which setting would a Gastroenterologist most likely be practicing? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure of the first question, but a GI doc is likely to be in hospital and seeing people in their office both on a regular basis, depending on what they do/specialize in. You'll see some really cool procedures if you follow a GI doc in hospital if they're dealing with some sick, acute patients.

one of the best parts of shadowing in teaching hospitals and practices was getting to know the medical students and ask them questions. no matter which you pick, try to shadow at a teaching institution

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I have shadowed 3 physician's so far in their own practices. I find that doctors with practices are more willing to let you shadow in the area that I live and they really don't require you to go through a whole bunch of paperwork in order for you to do so. My local hospital has so many rules and restrictions about shadowing that I really don't think its worth it in the end. It's all about the situation and setting you're in. Why dont you try for private and a hospital and see which one you like more. Then invest in getting hours of your preferred choice.

I have shadowed 3 physician's so far in their own practices. I find that doctors with practices are more willing to let you shadow in the area that I live and they really don't require you to go through a whole bunch of paperwork in order for you to do so. My local hospital has so many rules and restrictions about shadowing that I really don't think its worth it in the end. It's all about the situation and setting you're in. Why dont you try for private and a hospital and see which one you like more. Then invest in getting hours of your preferred choice.
oh yeah i forgot about the chillness of private practice. def go with private if you don't have time to jump through paperwork.

I've done both, and think they both offer some great insight.
Hospital Pros - see many different types of patients, collaboration, etc.
Cons - paperwork, takes a long time to join, not much personal attention

Private Practice Pros - 1 on 1, see a unique specialty, much more access to patient and doctor, not many hoops to jump through
Cons - See many of the same type of patient

Me personally, I liked private practices because the doctor I shadowed was awesome. Good Luck!

Hi guys, I was wondering what your experiences have been shadowing a doctor in a hospital vs. shadowing a doctor in a private practice? Which would you say is better, pro's and con's of each, and what year did you begin shadowing. Additionally, which setting would a Gastroenterologist most likely be practicing? Thank you!

A few points of clarification. The question of "hospital vs. private practice" is a little like asking red paint for the bedroom or steak for dinner? You can be in private practice and work in a hospital. For simplicity sake:

#1 Inpatient (colloquial, "hospital") vs. Outpatient (colloquial, "clinic" or "office")
The vast majority of physicians practice some sort of outpatient medicine. Some are exclusively outpatient, for example a family medicine physician with a stand alone clinic. Some are exclusively inpatient, a couple of examples would be emergency and critical care physicians. Many however do both. Some surgical specialties do most or all of their procedures in the outpatient setting, but most operate in an inpatient setting and see patients in their outpatient clinic. Many internal medicine physicians will see patients in the hospital, but have their clinic as well.

#2 Academic vs. Private Practice
This could be an essay by itself, but in brief... Teaching facility vs. privately owned/operated business. There are tremendous blurring of the lines, but in the extremes, a physician at a teaching hospital that works with students and residents is in academics. A physician that works either for a private hospital or are part of a physician group is in private practice.

It is important to shadow a variety of physicians. You should know the basics of what each of those terms mean and an idea of what physicians go through in each of those settings. I think that it would be errant to not spend at least some time with a primary care physician (IM, FM, OB/Gyn, Peds). Everything else is gravy.

Gastroenterologists practice both inpatient and outpatient medicine. They practice both in academic and private practice settings. If I had to guess, not being in the field, the splits would be 20%/80% and 10%/90% respectively.