How are my chances? I'm so nervous.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dibby92

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

So, I've finally reached the year I can apply to PT schools. While I'm extremely excited, I am equally nervous. I realize I am not the most competitive applicant, and I'm so scared my chance of getting in somewhere is zero. I have applied to many schools. Here are my stats:

GPA: 3.57
Major: kinesiology exercise science
Minor: nutrition
Prerequisite GPA: 3.28-3.3 (I have two Cs in general chem--weak spot)
Hours: 175; pediatric, geriatric, ortho, sports (in two different states, but all outpatient--trying to get inpatient squeezed in this semester)
GRE: 148 Q, 153 V, 4 AW (on the low end:/ )

I have experience as a research assistant for a physical therapist as well as a former professor. I don't know if this will give me an edge or not.

Also, I still need to take physics 1 and 2. I had to withdraw from physics twice last year due to unusual and unfortunate circumstance with my family, but I addressed this in my application. I am going full force with the class now, and am off to a pretty good start.

Sorry for the rambling; I'm so nervous, and I would really appreciate some advice from all of you.

Good luck to all this application cycle!

Thank you in advance

Members don't see this ad.

I think you already know what your strong points and weak points are. Your Verbal GRE score and the C's in both semesters of gen chem are what will stop you from getting in, assuming you get some inpatient observation hours.

As long as it is financially feasible for you, you might as well apply this cycle because you don't have time to fix the weak points on your app anyway. You better hurry up and get those inpatient hours and get apps submitted or you are going to start missing deadlines (especially at state schools which tend to have the October/November deadlines) and/or killing your chances at schools with rolling admissions.

If you don't get in this cycle, realize that retaking your chem classes and getting A's in both, and retaking the GRE and getting that verbal score up by 8 or 10 points and that quant score up by 4 or 5 points will almost certainly be enough to get you in next cycle. :) I know that sucks, especially to have to retake those classes, but having a C in both semesters of a major pre-req is a killer.

As long as you meet the minimums for all the schools you are applying to, just hope for the best and you'll probably surprise yourself. :)

Last edited:
I think you already know what your strong points and weak points are. Your Verbal GRE score and the C's in both semesters of gen chem are what will stop you from getting in, assuming you get some inpatient observation hours.

As long as it is financially feasible for you, you might as well apply this cycle because you don't have time to fix the weak points on your app anyway. You better hurry up and get those inpatient hours and get apps submitted or you are going to start missing deadlines (especially at state schools which tend to have the October/November deadlines) and/or killing your chances at schools with rolling admissions.

If you don't get in this cycle, realize that retaking your chem classes and getting A's in both, and retaking the GRE and getting that verbal score up by 8 or 10 points and that quant score up by 4 or 5 points will almost certainly be enough to get you in next cycle. :) I know that sucks, especially to have to retake those classes, but having a C in both semesters of a major pre-req is a killer.

As long as you meet the minimums for all the schools you are applying to, just hope for the best and you'll probably surprise yourself. :)
Thank you for your thorough response! I am determined to make this dream a reality, so I will find a way to make it happen. Hopefully, this will happen this year! Yes, I am very aware of my weaknesses, but I also know I have some other strengths in terms of extracurricular, recs, and my essay. My fingers and toes are crossed...hopefully a miracle will happen.

I received an email early this morning saying my app has been verified! Yay! I've been receiving emails from schools today saying they're now reviewing my application. I got an interview for Wheeling, but I'm not sure if that's common for all qualified apps.

Anyway, thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Well that's good you at least have an interview somewhere! Let's hope for the best. :)

Hi everyone,

So, I've finally reached the year I can apply to PT schools. While I'm extremely excited, I am equally nervous. I realize I am not the most competitive applicant, and I'm so scared my chance of getting in somewhere is zero. I have applied to many schools. Here are my stats:

GPA: 3.57
Major: kinesiology exercise science
Minor: nutrition
Prerequisite GPA: 3.28-3.3 (I have two Cs in general chem--weak spot)
Hours: 175; pediatric, geriatric, ortho, sports (in two different states, but all outpatient--trying to get inpatient squeezed in this semester)
GRE: 148 Q, 153 V, 4 AW (on the low end:/ )

I have experience as a research assistant for a physical therapist as well as a former professor. I don't know if this will give me an edge or not.

Also, I still need to take physics 1 and 2. I had to withdraw from physics twice last year due to unusual and unfortunate circumstance with my family, but I addressed this in my application. I am going full force with the class now, and am off to a pretty good start.

Sorry for the rambling; I'm so nervous, and I would really appreciate some advice from all of you.

Good luck to all this application cycle!

Thank you in advance
You're GRE score is good for a first time test taker. People now take the test over and over to increase their score. Make sure to let the schools you apply to know that you only took the GRE once.

You're GRE score is good for a first time test taker. People now take the test over and over to increase their score. Make sure to let the schools you apply to know that you only took the GRE once.

Absolutely do not try to justify a low GRE score to schools by saying that you only took it once. The majority of people applying to PT school only take it once. Yes, there are plenty of people that take it more than once, but there are a lot more people that don't. And very few that I have heard of take it "over and over".

And you don't even have to "let the schools you apply to know" how many times you took it. You report all your GRE scores from all your test dates on PTCAS. Your GRE history is very apparent.

@Dibby92, your quant score is borderline and will cause you to miss the minimum at a number of schools so make sure you look into each specific schools GRE requirements. Some don't have a minimum and some have a "recommended" score. But definitely don't go into an interview or an essay with "I only took it once so it's really not too bad". Owning your weaknesses (and strengths too of course) is going to sit a lot better with people.

And if you are going to retake, make sure you are 100% confident you can raise both the verbal and quant scores by at least 5 points or you are just wasting a lot of money IMO.

Absolutely do not try to justify a low GRE score to schools by saying that you only took it once. The majority of people applying to PT school only take it once. Yes, there are plenty of people that take it more than once, but there are a lot more people that don't. And very few that I have heard of take it "over and over".

And you don't even have to "let the schools you apply to know" how many times you took it. You report all your GRE scores from all your test dates on PTCAS. Your GRE history is very apparent.

@Dibby92, your quant score is borderline and will cause you to miss the minimum at a number of schools so make sure you look into each specific schools GRE requirements. Some don't have a minimum and some have a "recommended" score. But definitely don't go into an interview or an essay with "I only took it once so it's really not too bad". Owning your weaknesses (and strengths too of course) is going to sit a lot better with people.

And if you are going to retake, make sure you are 100% confident you can raise both the verbal and quant scores by at least 5 points or you are just wasting a lot of money IMO.
I thought that schools could only see the GRE scores that you send them? Has that changed? I have seen posts by other people plus spoken with students from my own school who have taken the GRE on multiple occasions. I've heard there are even books and websites that train a person to achieve a high score. I just bought one of the books in case I don't get in this cycle. What would you suggest that a person do if they have a lower GRE score? I certainly would not want to seem as if I was making excuses or anything negative. Sorry for a million questions:).

I thought that schools could only see the GRE scores that you send them? Has that changed? I have seen posts by other people plus spoken with students from my own school who have taken the GRE on multiple occasions. I've heard there are even books and websites that train a person to achieve a high score. I just bought one of the books in case I don't get in this cycle. What would you suggest that a person do if they have a lower GRE score? I certainly would not want to seem as if I was making excuses or anything negative. Sorry for a million questions:).

Well definitely is your score is too low to be competitive you are going to need to retake it, clearly. I was trying to highlight the fact that you shouldn't be cool with a crappy score just because it was your first time taking it. And I think the reality is that if you tank the first time you shouldn't expect that taking it again is going to miraculously fix that.

And to clarify, if you look on the instructions in PTCAS, it requires that you enter all of your GRE scores from all of your test dates in the "official tests" section. This means that all your "self-reported" scores are visible on the application regardless of whether the schools you are applying to have a PTCAS GRE code (where PTCAS acts as a sort of middle-man between ETS and your school), or whether they have a GRE code that causes the scores to go straight to the school or straight to the department.

So your score are all listed on the application, but your official scores are only received by PTCAS from ETS (and subsequently sent to schools along with your app) if they school uses a PTCAS GRE code.

Well thank you:). At least I learned something today. I took the GRE in 2011 and was in the 62 percentile and it keeps dropping every year. I was told a 300 was the score to shoot for and I'm a 302 so I thought I was good to go. I took the GRE before I had taken most of my prerequisites. I am sure I would do much better now, but I thought my score was good enough and I didn't want to spend more money that I didn't have. I'm a non traditional student and have applied mostly to schools that look at "grade trend". My GPA the last 4 years is a 3.77 and my last 60 semester hours is a 3.93. I'm one of those students who can look really good or really bad depending on how things are weighted. Are you a DPT student or are you still applying to schools?

Still applying...actually waiting for interviews at this point lol.

Still applying...actually waiting for interviews at this point lol.
Well I have a feeling you will get accepted to multiple schools. You seem very knowledgeable about the whole process:). I have one interview on October 24 so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Reactions: 1 user
Well I have a feeling you will get accepted to multiple schools. You seem very knowledgeable about the whole process:). I have one interview on October 24 so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks, and nice one! Good luck!

@knj27 I was in the 59th percentile for writing and verbal, and while that's not amazing, it's definitely not too crappy. My quant, on the other hand, has room for improvement. I really don't have time or money to take it again right now. A professor I did research with told me she addressed my low quant score in my recommendation letter, so maybe this will help some.

I am definitely NOT mentioning anything about my GRE scores in possible interview unless I am specifically asked. In that case, I would say I understand standardized tests are my weakness, but they're not indicative of my intelligence or potential for success in a DPT program.

Also, I did check the requirements for all schools I applied to. I am good to go, in that respect.

I am hoping some schools will take a chance on me...

Good luck to you guys; I really do wish you all the best of luck.

@knj27 I was in the 59th percentile for writing and verbal, and while that's not amazing, it's definitely not too crappy. My quant, on the other hand, has room for improvement. I really don't have time or money to take it again right now. A professor I did research with told me she addressed my low quant score in my recommendation letter, so maybe this will help some.

I am definitely NOT mentioning anything about my GRE scores in possible interview unless I am specifically asked. In that case, I would say I understand standardized tests are my weakness, but they're not indicative of my intelligence or potential for success in a DPT program.

Also, I did check the requirements for all schools I applied to. I am good to go, in that respect.

I am hoping some schools will take a chance on me...

Good luck to you guys; I really do wish you all the best of luck.

Sweet, sounds like you got everything nailed down. Keep those fingers crossed :)

I want to chime in here.

I've been around the block a few times and I am VERY familiar with the application process. I wanted to say that there ARE definitely schools that see past your GRE for who you are. Some do not require it, others require it but it is not weighed heavily. I have learned that these schools are often awesome programs. If you need any ideas on where to apply please let me know. I have done my research. Also your GRE score is higher than mine which is awesome. Most schools that look at the GRE heavily have a 300 minimum requirement to for them to review you application- which you have surpassed. Relax you will hear from somewhere, and best of luck to you!

Reactions: 2 users
I want to chime in here.

I've been around the block a few times and I am VERY familiar with the application process. I wanted to say that there ARE definitely schools that see past your GRE for who you are. Some do not require it, others require it but it is not weighed heavily. I have learned that these schools are often awesome programs. If you need any ideas on where to apply please let me know. I have done my research. Also your GRE score is higher than mine which is awesome. Most schools that look at the GRE heavily have a 300 minimum requirement to for them to review you application- which you have surpassed. Relax you will hear from somewhere, and best of luck to you!

Any schools in Ohio that don't look at the GRE heavily?

Hey not too sure!
Okay just thought I would ask! I took it once and got 294. Planning on taking it again but very nervous that my score won't improve above a 300. My GPA is 3.94 so I know that's solid but I'm really worried my low GRE will weigh me down.

Okay just thought I would ask! I took it once and got 294. Planning on taking it again but very nervous that my score won't improve above a 300. My GPA is 3.94 so I know that's solid but I'm really worried my low GRE will weigh me down.

I am sure you will score well! If not your GPA is solid!