How are those secondaries going for everyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kthxbai

Really bad eggs
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there are similar threads floating around, but I just wanted to share:

I've submitted 12 secondaries so far, but feel I'm far behind anyway. How's everyone holding up towards the end of the month?

Sending you all positive energy!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Submitted all that I have received (23)...except Duke :bullcrap:

Reactions: 2 users
I haven't received them all, but there are some I don't even want to think of completing...

They're just too.. bleeehhhhh.

Members don't see this ad :)
submitted 10 MD and 4 DO. still have to submit UF, USF and TCMC.....waiting on Drexel then i'm done!

received and submitted 20. waiting on 5 more.

I know there are similar threads floating around, but I just wanted to share:

I've submitted 12 secondaries so far, but feel I'm far behind anyway. How's everyone holding up towards the end of the month?

Sending you all positive energy!

Don't despair! I still have 10 more secondaries to do, and I'm nearing the imaginary "3 week deadline," so I'm worse off. As long as we submit quality answers, it's going to be okay :)

Reactions: 1 user
Returned 33 out of the 35 i received so far

Reactions: 4 users
received many, submitted not as many haha. if we haven't submitted by now are we out of the running for being the earliest? i'm probably not going to be done until end of this month. happy writing to all!

Submitted 9, with 9 more to go.

Relax, guys, we're still very early in the cycle!

Reactions: 1 users
Don't despair! I still have 10 more secondaries to do, and I'm nearing the imaginary "3 week deadline," so I'm worse off. As long as we submit quality answers, it's going to be okay :)

I hope you're right. I mean, I know you're right, but we didn't turn to SDN for pats on the back :)

Anyway, I'm a bit behind on a few of them (VCU, I'm looking at you!), but I'll just go with your positive view on this.

Once again everyone, positive thoughts!

I submitted all 18 that I've received so far, all on the same day as or 1 day after receipt. Still waiting for 4 more.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just btw, adcoms have said before that if you are complete by Sept. 1st, you are fine.

Just btw, adcoms have said before that if you are complete by Sept. 1st, you are fine.
even if you're a reapplicant w/ below avg stats?

even if you're a reapplicant w/ below avg stats?

In this case I think you want to be as early as possible (just because you have 2 things against you), but I think a complete application before Sept. 1 is still relatively early and shouldn't disadvantage you. Most schools start looking over applications in August.

17 out of 20 received. 14 of 17 submitted so far. Props to the rest of you already having 20+ sent out. I've been trying to keep up, but I feel like a zombie after I get home from work. I never thought that I'd hate guaranteed overtime so much :grumpy:

I'm expecting more, but I've submitted 15/18 so far.

17 out of 20 received. 14 of 17 submitted so far. Props to the rest of you already having 20+ sent out. I've been trying to keep up, but I feel like a zombie after I get home from work. I never thought that I'd hate guaranteed overtime so much :grumpy:
I feel ya on that work, yo. I never feel like being productive after coming home from a 8-10 hr scribe shift. Which is bad since I need to start interview prep, and I only have limited days between now and my first interview cuz I work 40+ hours a week.

Struggling so hard. I feel like my soul is being ripped into pieces with each word I write.

Reactions: 7 users
21 received and sent. Waiting on 2-4 more depending on potential pre-secondary rejections from Indiana and Wake Forest.

16/18 just waiting on Wayne and Northwestern. In a nice little break right now, but that only makes me more anxious checking for interview invites every day!

Submitted 29. I of course am still trying to do Duke :laugh: and am waiting for a few more places to send me, although I heard those ones historically come in August. Otherwise, I am taking a nice break (although I still work full time, just without secondaries).

Last edited:
2/12 done. Hopefully 3/12 by the end of the day

I feel ya on that work, yo. I never feel like being productive after coming home from a 8-10 hr scribe shift. Which is bad since I need to start interview prep, and I only have limited days between now and my first interview cuz I work 40+ hours a week.

I'm sure you will find the strength in yourself (or in caffeine if you indulge :laugh:) to practice! I don't know how I'd get anything done without my beloved energy drinks! Do you only have a couple of days free from work for your interview?

Submitted 29. I of course am still trying to do Duke :laugh: and am waiting for a few more places to send me, although I heard those ones historically come in August. Otherwise, I am taking a nice break (although I still work full time, just without secondaries).

I'll probably add Duke too. Yay for the book-sized essays to follow.

received 6, sent 2, finished the other 4 (i just have to take a headshot still lolllll)
waiting on 18! (still not verified) but have started to work on a bunch of those :)

I'm doing a total of 40 (unless I don't get some). I haven't finished any yet.

My primary should be verified in the next 1-2 weeks.

IM SCREWED!

I'm doing a total of 40 (unless I don't get some). I haven't finished any yet.

My primary should be verified in the next 1-2 weeks.

IM SCREWED!

I didn't actually start secondaries till late September. The biggest benefit to applying early is your peace of mind. That said - good luck, get to work, and stay strong.

I didn't actually start secondaries till late September. The biggest benefit to applying early is your peace of mind. That said - good luck, get to work, and stay strong.

Is that code for "I had a 3.8+ gpa and a 36+ on my MCAT"?

Submitted 16 Secondaries w/ 5 more to go. 2 IIs so far :)

Has anyone been experiencing a total loss of intelligence when writing secondaries?

I think I'm an alright writer, but I sink to middle school levels when trying to answer a prompt like "what's your biggest challenge" or "if you didn't want to be a doctor, what would you choose instead?"

Has anyone been experiencing a total loss of intelligence when writing secondaries?

I think I'm an alright writer, but I sink to middle school levels when trying to answer a prompt like "what's your biggest challenge" or "if you didn't want to be a doctor, what would you choose instead?"

Just give one word answers.

Biggest challenge - "Laziness"
If not doctor... - "Rich"

In this case I think you want to be as early as possible (just because you have 2 things against you), but I think a complete application before Sept. 1 is still relatively early and shouldn't disadvantage you. Most schools start looking over applications in August.
Now that most of us have better software we are keeping up with applications as they come in. We've already screened a couple of thousand.

Omg this is me

Now that most of us have better software we are keeping up with applications as they come in. We've already screened a couple of thousand.

How important do you find the "two week rule" promulgated all over SDN? I mean, if you're still submitting in July/August, is it that important to have a fast turnaround?

I'm worried that if I try to crank out essays too fast, the quality will suffer. Intuition tells me that writing good essays is more important than 2 week turnarounds, but maybe that's wrong.

How important do you find the "two week rule" promulgated all over SDN? I mean, if you're still submitting in July/August, is it that important to have a fast turnaround?

I'm worried that if I try to crank out essays too fast, the quality will suffer. Intuition tells me that writing good essays is more important than 2 week turnarounds, but maybe that's wrong.

I was working with a medical school student through Student Mentor Network and was told that while it is good to submit the secondaries fast, it is much better to take enough time to make sure they are great essays. After all, after I would submit them I can't change them, so I'd hate to submit something of poor quality (I can't think that would help).

I don't think it's possible to make a blanket statement about the "two week rule." It probably varies from school to school, and I would be willing to wager that many adcoms don't even notice how much time elapsed between receipt and submission of the secondary.

Personally, I submitted most of my secondaries within two weeks of receiving them. However, I am anticipating a publication in August, so I'm going to hold off on submitting any secondaries that request updates.

-Bill

Last edited:
Ugh I knew I shouldn't have even clicked on this thread. Only submitted 4/15 MD apps, still not verified for DO.

I'm so sick of writing about myself already and these character limits send me into spontaneous fits of rage.

"Please provide us with an entire history of your physical and emotional development starting from conception. In 160 characters or less."
+pissed+

Reactions: 12 users
I don't think it's possible to make a blanket statement about the "two week rule." It probably varies from school to school, and I would be willing to wager that many adcoms don't even notice how much time elapsed between receipt and submission of the secondary.

Personally, I submitted most of my secondaries within two weeks of receiving them. However, I am anticipating a publication in August, so I'm going to hold off on submitting any secondaries that request updates.

-Bill

This has been my policy, more or less. I'm trying to take my time and write the best essays I can. Usually, I make it in 1-2 weeks but I've gone over now on one or two schools.

I also have cash flow problems that are restricting my ability to submit, so there's that too....

This has been my policy, more or less. I'm trying to take my time and write the best essays I can. Usually, I make it in 1-2 weeks but I've gone over now on one or two schools.

I also have cash flow problems that are restricting my ability to submit, so there's that too....

If it makes you feel better, I submitted every secondary within ten days or so last year and landed zero acceptances. Several of my friends blew off secondaries until the very last minute and are now preparing for med school orientation.

Among all of the factors that could potentially result in a rejection, I don't think a marginally late secondary submission would rank in the top ten.

-Bill

If it makes you feel better, I submitted every secondary within ten days or so last year and landed zero acceptances. Several of my friends blew off secondaries until the very last minute and are now preparing for med school orientation.

Among all of the factors that could potentially result in a rejection, I don't think a marginally late secondary submission would rank in the top ten.

-Bill

Sorry to hear that, dude. Hope this round goes better.

Reactions: 4 users
I suppose that makes people who are late particularly disadvantaged in this process.

Thank goodness for technology.

But bad news for late submitters?

Want to share?

I want software that will look at all my secondaries and see which essay topics are in common and autofill them.

Waiting eagerly.
Thanks,
RTC.

Want to share?

I want software that will look at all my secondaries and see which essay topics are in common and autofill them.

Waiting eagerly.
Thanks,
RTC.

That would be helpful! On this topic, how many of you guys are recycling essays pretty frequently?