HOW BAD IS IT TO TAKE MOST PREREQS IN COMMUNITY COLLEGE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
K

koh1995

Hey everyone,
If I take all my chemistry, biology, physics, anatomy, physiology, and microbiology courses at my community college then transfer to a UC and take biochemistry and one other upper biology course is that okay to do, or will that make my chances bad for applying to Dental School?

Members don't see this ad.

Some schools accept CC credits, but you would have to check with the schools you are applying for. Also, I personally wouldn't take most of my pre-reqs at a community college, try to take some upper level classes at UC to show you can handle the course work. If you took most pre-reqs at CC it would seem like your trying to take the easy way. IMO.

Posted using SDN Mobile

It depends on the school(s) you're applying to. Some will allow a certain amount of credits from a community college and some will allow one year at a community college. It all depends.

Members don't see this ad :)
bad, many do not accept. look into it first, or call the schools you want to apply to and ask.

It's doable and not unheard of. But it's a gamble, especially if you suck it up with grades at CC.

I took nearly all my prereqs at a CC, except for biochem and an upper division microbiology class. I'm a non-trad though, but I still have three interview invites thus far and am hoping to receive more in the near future.

Reactions: 1 user
I took nearly all my prereqs at a CC, except for biochem and an upper division microbiology class. I'm a non-trad though, but I still have three interview invites thus far and am hoping to receive more in the near future.

Non-trads is a different story.

I took bio1, chem1, chem2, orgo 1/2, and physics 1/2 at cc. My state schools doesn't have a problem with it. It depends on the school.

Just make sure you make A's in them if you're going that route.

You better plan on getting all A's if you take them all at a CC...

You better plan on getting all A's if you take them all at a CC...
What if the class was taught by a professor who also teaches at a 4 year university?

My Chem 1 teacher taught the exact same class at my CC as he did simultaneously at the 4 year, the curve was brutal. In fact, he said that he needed to write harder tests for his CC class because there were more hard working students who performed well on tests than at Uni, this is because nearly everyone was trying to get A's in the class in order to transfer to a well established university. I ended up getting a B in the class because of an extremely difficult final.

While at the Uni, while a lot of them were trying to get A's to make it to a professional school, there are more people content with making B's and C's because all they needed to do was pass.

It's a smart idea. You'll save a ton of money. The classes are also smaller, so it's a lot easier to build rapport with the professors that will be writing your letters when it comes time to apply.

Obviously you won't be taking higher level courses, but for your math, physics, chem, and o-chem, you'd be better off at the community college

The overall perception is that community colleges are easier than 4 year colleges. Many dental schools feel that those who take pre reqs at a CC should thus get all A's in those classes... it's the overall perception. Whether you agree with it or not is another story...

I've taken a lot of my basics at CC like English, Statistics, Psych, Sociology ... etc. Only reason was that I was enrolled in a dual credit high school program.

I'm starting my university this fall but I made sure I saved all of my Science prereqs for a 4 year school.

Would that hurt me in the future? I wanted to take the initiative and knock out as many as possible so I started to take them in HS.

you can repeat the classes that you have take at CC, which means take the same prerequest you have take to transfer to UC at your current college