Status
Not open for further replies.

GoSpursGo

SDN Chief Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm applying this cycle to MD/PhD programs. I have high stats (521, 3.9) and what I think are excellent experiences and research but only 1 II so far at a mid-tier school.

In the Spring of 2019 (my junior year), my biochemistry professor offered 1 percentage point of extra credit for writing a 5-page paper about any topic related to biochem. I had taken a Toxicology class the previous semester while studying abroad and wrote a final paper. I submitted this paper for the biochem assignment, and I was flagged by plagiarism software. I literally had no idea self-plagiarism was a thing and did not submit this paper with bad intent. I went through a hearing and was cited for an Honor Code violation. My grade was dropped from A- to B+. I've addressed this on the primary and the secondaries that gave me space to do so. A couple of schools requested info from my Dean's office, which I gave them. Does this completely screw up my chances for admission?

It's good that this is over 2 years ago and you can clearly articulate how this was an honest mistake. It's something you'll probably have to address in interviews, and every little thing matters when you're applying to super-competitive schools as you likely are, but I don't think this kills your changes.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, I'm applying this cycle to MD/PhD programs. I have high stats (521, 3.9) and what I think are excellent experiences and research but only 1 II so far at a mid-tier school.

In the Spring of 2019 (my junior year), my biochemistry professor offered 1 percentage point of extra credit for writing a 5-page paper about any topic related to biochem. I had taken a Toxicology class the previous semester while studying abroad and wrote a final paper. I submitted this paper for the biochem assignment, and I was flagged by plagiarism software. I literally had no idea self-plagiarism was a thing and did not submit this paper with bad intent. I went through a hearing and was cited for an Honor Code violation. My grade was dropped from A- to B+. I've addressed this on the primary and the secondaries that gave me space to do so. A couple of schools requested info from my Dean's office, which I gave them. Does this completely screw up my chances for admission?

You're doing what is appropriate which is to own up to completely. It's completely on the schools' turf to decide whether or not it will affect your chances. I am hopeful that because of your transparency with the issue that it will do nothing

Members don't see this ad :)
I think people are curious about self plagiarism. Which is why they want to Dr the issue themselves. I don't make decisions on applicants. But I don't think this is a huge problem... but m probably open ended.

Status
Not open for further replies.