How badly did I hurt my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ams83

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all...so here's my story.

I graduated with my undergrad degree in biomedical engineering this past May with a 3.55 BCPM and Overall GPA. Over my last semester and the summer after I graduated, I had some experiences that really made me consider a career in medicine and I decided to take the appropriate classes during grad school. However, I just finished my first semester and came out with a C in Organic Chem and needless to say, I feel like I'm at the bottom of a pit right now.

So, how badly did I hurt my chances of getting into an MD school when I apply next fall? I will be taking Orgo 2 and microbio next semester and I know I need to do well in those as well as rock the MCAT. But how badly will the C in Orgo 1 hurt my GPA and my app in the eyes of an MD adcom?

Thanks and I appreciate all responses!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm assuming that you already took classes like General Bio and Chem...how did you do on those? If the rest of your science GPA is high, don't stress. Rock Orgo II to show them that you can handle the work.

Allopathic schools will look at both the old and retaken grade, so it's not like you get rid of it by retaking the class, though if it's hurting your GPA badly, maybe do it for that reason.

Lots of people get C's in important classes and still make it in. You've just got to make sure that they know you're capable of doing well in high level coursework.

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually, it's my second C. I got a C+ in an engineering class during my junior year of undergrad.

Actually, it's my second C. I got a C+ in an engineering class during my junior year of undergrad.
Have you considered caribbean?

In all seriousness. The C won't hurt your chances unless you end up getting continuous C's in the rest of your courses. Dont' let it deter you and stop panicking over one grade.

I'm assuming that you already took classes like General Bio and Chem...how did you do on those? If the rest of your science GPA is high, don't stress. Rock Orgo II to show them that you can handle the work.

Allopathic schools will look at both the old and retaken grade, so it's not like you get rid of it by retaking the class, though if it's hurting your GPA badly, maybe do it for that reason.

Lots of people get C's in important classes and still make it in. You've just got to make sure that they know you're capable of doing well in high level coursework.

Yes, I have already taken the General Bio and Chem classes. I got an A and B+ in the Bio classes and a B and B+ in the Chem classes. So my BCPM GPA is a 3.55, which is not great at all.

Thanks for the suggestion on taking Orgo again to raise my grade again. I didn't think of that, but I'll definitely consider it if my GPA doesn't go higher.

It's hard to say how much impact one C will have. Possibly not much at all.

You're doing a post-doc and you just got your bachelor's? Do you mean post-bacc? :confused::confused:

one C won't kill you. definitely take orgo 2 and get an A. check this thread out, it's for people who have low GPAs, yours isn't that low, just slightly low.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=563567&page=3

check out my mdapps too, i'm asian so ORM, lower than yours GPA. i hope you have decent ECs too

Yeah, I'm an ORM as well, and your MDApp is pretty similar to mine (or what mine will look like). As far as ECs, I have shadowed an orthopaedic surgeon and an ophthamologist and I also have extensive orthpaedic research, with (hopefully) a paper coming out before I apply to med schools. Other than that I was involved in med/engineering/science clubs in college.

It's hard to say how much impact one C will have. Possibly not much at all.

You're doing a post-doc and you just got your bachelor's? Do you mean post-bacc? :confused::confused:

Actually, I'm currently working on my Master's degree in biomedical engineering. I wasn't sure I wanted to do medicine when at the time that I was applying to grad school, but the program that I am currently in enables me to get a Master's degree as well as take the pre-med pre-req classes that I need for medical school.

And yeah, hopefully that C won't hurt me much at the end.

Hey ams.. if you're still checking this thread.. you sent me a PM but I can't write back! I'm being told that you aren't accepting PMs..

Hey ams.. if you're still checking this thread.. you sent me a PM but I can't write back! I'm being told that you aren't accepting PMs..

The first female monkey I have come across on SDN, smashing! A couple C's won't hurt, especially if you do well on the MCAT.

Take it from a guy who did worse than a B- in Orgo I.. twice.. (What the hell was I thinking/doing five years ago?) it won't keep you out of medical school. Now I hold 3 acceptances to allopathic schools (no, not URM). Every now and then, I wonder how things might be different if I hadn't bombed that class twice.

I was a BME major undergrad. My gpa was ~3.6 science, overall 3.35. I earned 2 C's in my time during undergrad. Not the end of the world, I got into a few medical schools...it can be done. Just focus on what you can do now and do the best in the courses you have coming up. Best of luck.

Don't worry about the C's, as long as it's not a consistent trend. Work hard in the other areas of your requirements and you should be fine

Take it from a guy who did worse than a B- in Orgo I.. twice.. (What the hell was I thinking/doing five years ago?) it won't keep you out of medical school. Now I hold 3 acceptances to allopathic schools (no, not URM). Every now and then, I wonder how things might be different if I hadn't bombed that class twice.

Don't wonder about that road! You're gonna be a doctor.:)

I got a C in O-chem...

I have a friend who just got into USC and had a few C's and not a stellar GPA (good, not stellar), but she's a grad student right now so a little non-traditional. In any case, it all comes down to your overall package. I know USC in particular often accepts people that are "not your normal awesome premed" (although they also accept a lot of "normal awesome premeds") just make sure to illustrate your genuine passion for medicine, be the best applicant you can be, and i'm sure all your other accomplishments will speak louder than your one or two C's. It's a game, and a marathon to the win.