How can I become competitive?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lighteye

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I understand that there is a saturation problem in optometry which causes competition. I am starting optometry school this fall and I want to know what I can do, besides good grades and passing the boards, to become competitive. What can I do extra during these four years to give me an edge and make me stand out to employers? Any advise would be appreciated. :)

Members don't see this ad.

What will make you competitive is if you can bring something to the table that will make your employer money. Many graduates think that being a "good doctor" and providing a "top notch eye exam" is enough and it's not.

Learn how to make money in this business and you'll be way ahead of your classmates.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you, I will make sure to work on my social skills. Is there any organizations I should join and be active in that adds a plus to my resume?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you, I will make sure to work on my social skills. Is there any organizations I should join and be active in that adds a plus to my resume?
I'm not sure KHE is referring to social skills. I think the topic is "how to make money" which is something different. That means coding/billing, buying equipment, knowing what insurances to take, specialty skills, etc.

Social skills are helpful but it's not really what I meant. If you're talking about being in private practice, you need to think about creating an environment and an experience which makes patients not only want to come to you, but spend money with you.

learn foreign languages, preferably spanish.

That means coding/billing, buying equipment, knowing what insurances to take, specialty skills, etc.
6WrS