How can I improve? all advice appreciated!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gatling

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm a long time lurker here and would really like suggestions on how I can improve my future application to an MD school or DO school if I am left without any other options. Here are my stats:

cGPA:3.5 (counting P as C)
sGPA:3.3 (counting P as C)
MCAT: none yet

Relevant classes

Fresh year
GenChem1- A-
Precalc- A-
GenChem2- C
GenChemLab-A (my school said it was for 1 and 2 combined)
Calc1-C

Summer
GenChem2-A+

Soph year
Bio1- A-
Bio2- B+
Orgo1- A-

Summer
Orgo1lab- A
Calc2- A+

Junior fall
Orgo2- A
Cellbio- A
Phys1- P (my school says MD will count this as a C)

ECs
ER volunteer since sophmore year, I plan to have over 300 hours before applying
Will start EMT training at local community college this semester
Leadership position in a community service club at college

LORs
My classes are really huge and I've only managed 2 as of now. One from my orgo lab teacher and One bio recitation teacher. My volunteer supervisor said she will write me one and I am trying to get one from my biophys teacher next semester since its a smaller class.

I am also a double major in biochem and studioart which is pretty much my hobby.

I also would like to know if its bad if I wait till I graduate to take the MCAT. I plan on graduating in the spring of 2012 and taking it in September. I also plan on working in the hospital as a volunteer or EMT during this time

Members don't see this ad.

Pass/fail grades are not included in your GPA, they're essentially an 'omit.' On the other hand, an A+ is counted as a 4.0 even if your school considers it a 4.3. With those factors in mind, would your reported GPA change at all?

Yes that would change my GPA, my cGPA would be 3.6 and my sGPA would be 3.4. My school counts an A+ as 4.0 I was just copying it from the transcript.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does Phys1 stand for Physics or Physiology or what? Why did you take it as a Pass/Fail class?

Will you be getting in a research experience?

Taking your MCAT when you're the best prepared is the best strategy. When you take it doesn't matter, but if you take in September, the score takes a month to return, and that would be quite late to apply. It would be statistically better to wait until the following early summer.

Phys1 is physics 1.

I took it Pass/Fail because I was sure I was going to get an F, I got in the 60s on the two midterms and the professor stated that the class was not curved.

I'm going to see if they let me take a year of calc based physics instead and get As in those classes since I cant retake a P.

I was told volunteering is better than research so I never really looked into it but I'm pretty sure I can get into an organic chem lab at school and will ask.

As for MCAT I guess It would be best then If I study more and take it later.
Would graduating a semester late look bad If I take upper level physics courses or should I just focus on the MCAT?

1) I took it Pass/Fail because I was sure I was going to get an F, I got in the 60s on the two midterms and the professor stated that the class was not curved.

2) I'm going to see if they let me take a year of calc based physics instead and get As in those classes since I cant retake a P.

3) I was told volunteering is better than research so I never really looked into it but I'm pretty sure I can get into an organic chem lab at school and will ask.

4) Would graduating a semester late look bad If I take upper level physics courses or should I just focus on the MCAT?
1) Good strategy.

2) You could do that (since you must take the course and earn a grade) or you could retake an Algebra-based class at another school so as not to strain your GPA further with the harder Calc-based version. Even if your school won't accept it in transfer, the med school application service will count it. Don't take Physics II until you sort things out with Physics I.

3) Volunteering is more important than research. Only 60% list a research activity. But there's no question that having it gives you a stronger application.

4) How long you take to graduate will not be regarded, when so many take five years because they can't register for the needed courses or due to a major change (or two). Having a high GPA is what counts. Solid MCAT prep pays off.