How can I improve myself at CVS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Amphetamine Salts

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a P2 student and intern at CVS. My preceptor always gives me those monthly sheets to fill out where I basically have to make one area my focus for that month. I also get feedback each time and I'm always told there's room for improvement. Granted, my preceptor isn't the best in the world and she mostly just does her job and we rarely (if at all) communicate directly on how I can improve, my work ethic, etc.

I don't mind doing retail, I can definitely step up to the work load. I plan to work at CVS after graduation for a couple of years until I can pay off all my loans and then take on a more flexible pharmacy job. In order to be successful at CVS though I need to take on a people-oriented and patient-care mindset.

What are some things I can practice on the job to move in the direction of becoming a successful Pharmacist at CVS?

Members don't see this ad.

To be a successful Pharmacist at CVS, you have to verify fast, manage your staff (if you have any staff left these days), and learn the numbers your supervisor cares about. The part about people-oriented and patient-care is great and all but leave it for when you talk to your DM/RxSup.

The only way you get better is by working as much as you can without jeopardizing what you do at school.

I am sure there are other pharmacists in your location that would be more willing to communicate besides your preceptor. So find those pharmacists if that is what you are looking for. If you don't like your store, transfer to another one where you might get more of what you need.

1-focus on verifying fast
2-make sure your techs work efficiently and are organized....if they have bad habits, point them out to them
3-cvs doesn't care about patient care or being people oriented....try to limit your conversations with patients on the phone or in person
4-learn how to act fake....if your supervisor mentions a metric you didn't meet, act like you are really concerned and email him a bull**** action plan a couple hours later....that should keep the corporate minions off your back for a few weeks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you ever asked directly "how do you think I'm doing and what can I improve on?"

Sometimes you don't get feedback unless you ask.

Sorry to say, you have a lousy preceptor. Just learn as many tasks as possible. Learn AIM, learn typing, insurance rejects, validations, just learn everything. Look at the workload manager. Check the store e-mail. Ask if you can take the voice mails, save them and she can check them. I have three interns, 2nd, 3rd and 4th year. They do everything for me. They even make my pharmacist pcq calls when I'm behind. They take doctor calls, they take voice mails, reconstitute, do the strong pak, basically they are there to prepare to be pharmacists. They do everything I do, except verify. I'm always asking about what they are studying and preparing them for how that applies to actually being a pharmacist.

Reactions: 1 users