How can I improve?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted667370

Hey guys. I am currently in my second year of study at a Canadian university. I have a 4.0 GPA, but I haven't taken the MCAT yet. My main question is how can I improve my ECs to a more competitive level? I volunteered for four months as a tutor at a local high school (2 hrs/week) in my first year. I also have volunteered on and off at a care home (for seniors with dementia) since I was 15. I'm really concerned because even though my academics are really strong, I know right now I have no chance getting in to any Canadian medical schools. I've looked into shadowing a doctor a lot, but I've essentially hit a dead end. My school also has really limited research opportunities for undergraduates (esp. in first and second year). I feel like I'm at a standstill, and I'm wondering how I can improve my shots. I've considered getting a summer research position, a summer internship, volunteering abroad, joining campus clubs, tutoring again... etc. I'm in desperate need of advice!

Also, my senior year of high school I was involved in a ton of clubs, committees, and I led a campaign that raised over $20,000 for charity. I also won a few major awards. Do medical schools care about high school experiences at all?

Members don't see this ad.

How is it impossible to get into Canadian schools with a 4.0? What kind of GPA do you need, 4.1?

Try cold-calling to get shadowing experience. High school experiences are less significant than undergrad experiences for med school apps.

How is it impossible to get into Canadian schools with a 4.0? What kind of GPA do you need, 4.1?

Try cold-calling to get shadowing experience. High school experiences are less significant than undergrad experiences for med school apps.

Not impossible, but I'm worried it is a long shot until I really improve my EC experiences.

1. You're a second year, you still have time.
2. "I know 50 premeds who would literally kill to have your GPA," (Quote adapted from Archer)
3. Your holistic self looks pretty good to me, I mean yeah I agree with Doug, shadowing, clinical work, college non-clinical volunteering will be super helpful.
4. Be optimistic :)