How can I prepare NBDE part 1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Miona

Miona
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I'm kind of lost with preparing material. I got
2009-2010 dental decks
Kaplan NDB Part 1 Review Notes (Vol 1)
Fist Aid (books and questions)
Released questions

How do you go over the questions? Is that necessary to go over the details of books? or just focus on questions?

Members don't see this ad.

To pass you would need to answer right for at least two thirds of the questions. Now ask yourself, if you need details from textbooks or you just need to refresh your knowledge. I did not have time to go over anatomy and physiology in detail, but I spent a lot of time on dental anatomy and biochem. Kaplan is a good thing, study it well and decks give you an idea of what you need to get more info on

I know that this might seem like an unusual way to study, but in my opinion, i really think that this technique might help you.

Kaplan offers you a prep course to help you prepare for the USMLE Step 1. I think that you should take the course in order to prepare for the NBDE Part 1. (The USMLE Step 1 and NBDE Part 1 cover the exact same material, except for dental anatomy.)

Kaplan's USMLE step 1 course has a series of seven beautiful blue books that cover topics such as microbiology, immunology, biochemistry, gross anatomy, pathology... all of these topics are on both the USMLE and the NBDE.

Then Kaplan has these audio lectures that go along with the seven beautiful blue books. Listen to these lectures, take notes onto the seven blue books.

(Be careful each of the Kaplan USMLE step 1 blue books is 500 pages long!!! )

Then Kaplan has a question bank of maybe 2,000 questions for the USMLE step 1 and another question bank for the NBDE Part 1 that is also 2,000 questions long. Do these questions. Do both the Kaplan Q-bank for the USMLE step 1 and the NBDE part 1.

Then you will DO SO WELL on the NBDE Exam.

The reason why I suggest Kaplan USMLE Step 1 Course is because the NBDE Part 1 is just like an easier version of the USMLE Step 1. Both board exams cover the same material, but the only difference is the level of difficulty. The USMLE step 1 is much harder than the NBDE Part 1.

Why don't I recommend the Dental Decks? The Dental Decks is a bunch of flash cards with a million random facts written on the back of each of the flash cards. How awful is that? The Dental Decks just seems like a random collection of facts - and each flash card is filled with a million detailed facts. How can you possibly learn from that?

No, i am not a kaplan representative. I know that they are extremely expensive to have to buy Kaplan test prep, but it is worth it. totally worth it.

I have friends in medical school who have taken the USMLE Step 1. They have taken a look at some NBDE Part 1 practice exams, and they can answer the questions SO easily.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
A bit of an overkill, in my opinion. The exam is pass/fail, no need for the high score
Kaplan notes are good, but I would not pay a $1000 for the course to have them.
Decks are not for learning, they are for reviewing

To pass you would need to answer right for at least two thirds of the questions. Now ask yourself, if you need details from textbooks or you just need to refresh your knowledge. I did not have time to go over anatomy and physiology in detail, but I spent a lot of time on dental anatomy and biochem. Kaplan is a good thing, study it well and decks give you an idea of what you need to get more info on
Someone said only decks is fine to pass it. I'm reading the First Aid right now but slowly coz I were taught by non-English, so I've to learn every terms again.

If you are a regular DS student, then yes Decks might be enough. As an internationally trained dentist you need to relearn a lot. Decks give you an idea on where you need to study more, by themselves they are not enough in your case

Reactions: 1 users
Someone said only decks is fine to pass it. I'm reading the First Aid right now but slowly coz I were taught by non-English, so I've to learn every terms again.
Hi Miona
Hi Miona! I now this post is old but hopefully you answer me . Im studying from First Aid and the decks .. im hating the decks a bit . Did you take the exam already? If so , what do you recommend (aside from th old exams).

hi miona beleive me u can pass nbde 1 by just reading dental decks thoroughly three times

I know that this might seem like an unusual way to study, but in my opinion, i really think that this technique might help you.

Kaplan offers you a prep course to help you prepare for the USMLE Step 1. I think that you should take the course in order to prepare for the NBDE Part 1. (The USMLE Step 1 and NBDE Part 1 cover the exact same material, except for dental anatomy.)

Kaplan's USMLE step 1 course has a series of seven beautiful blue books that cover topics such as microbiology, immunology, biochemistry, gross anatomy, pathology... all of these topics are on both the USMLE and the NBDE.

Then Kaplan has these audio lectures that go along with the seven beautiful blue books. Listen to these lectures, take notes onto the seven blue books.

Then Kaplan has a question bank of maybe 2,000 questions for the USMLE step 1 and another question bank for the NBDE Part 1 that is also 2,000 questions long. Do these questions. Do both the Kaplan Q-bank for the USMLE step 1 and the NBDE part 1.

The reason why I suggest Kaplan USMLE Step 1 Course is because the NBDE Part 1 is just like an easier version of the USMLE Step 1. Both board exams cover the same material, but the only difference is the level of difficulty. The USMLE step 1 is much harder than the NBDE Part 1.

Why don't I recommend the Dental Decks? The Dental Decks is a bunch of flash cards with a million random facts written on the back of each of the flash cards. How awful is that? The Dental Decks just seems like a random collection of facts - and each flash card is filled with a million detailed facts. How can you possibly learn from that?

No, i am not a kaplan representative. I know that they are extremely expensive to have to buy Kaplan test prep, but it is worth it. totally worth it.

I have friends in medical school who have taken the USMLE Step 1. They have taken a look at some NBDE Part 1 practice exams, and they can answer the questions SO easily.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi...is kaplan lec notes for nbde part1 same as kaplan for usmle??plz need help regarding this matter as i cant gt my hands on kaplan lec notes for nbde part1

Where can I find the Kaplan Audio Lectures????