How can I set up a unit with air compressor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pishi1361

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody

I am a DDS freshman trying to set up my own unit at home and I know I need a compressor, what else do I need? Can I use any air compressor (ex. The ones sold at sears) or do I need to buy the ones from dental equipment companies? what are the requirement for the compressor? and what additional stuff do I need? I truly appreciate any help and tips!

USC Class of 2012

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everybody

I am a DDS freshman trying to set up my own unit at home and I know I need a compressor, what else do I need? Can I use any air compressor (ex. The ones sold at sears) or do I need to buy the ones from dental equipment companies? what are the requirement for the compressor? and what additional stuff do I need? I truly appreciate any help and tips!

USC Class of 2012

Many CE courses just go out and buy a small portable air compressor and 4 hole tubing with a coupler to attach a highspeed to it.

Craftsman 1hp 3gal air compressor - $99.99 Link

4-hole tubing w/ air compressor - $18.25 Link

Rheostat - $79.00 Link

You will need some couplers and small parts from Home depot or Lowes to finish the job, but turns out nice. No water, though, and you will need a second tube with a split coupler to add a slow speed if you want it, or you could just switch high/low if you need it. Air spray comes from the tubing when no hand piece is connected. Water comes from the kitchen sink :laugh:.

You can save yourself a lot of trouble buying one of these portable units, but their pressure is very weak and will stall a handpiece when you push against a typodont. Remember, there is no water from this setup, so you will burn faster than with water.

And if you want to get fancy:

Lab engine - $179.99 Link

Dust collector - Link

Wet/Dry Vac - $29.99 Link

This is for suction to hook up to the dust collector. Trust me, you'll need a dust collector if you are planning on cutting stone inside a room.

6' plastic folding table - $50.00 - Lowes

You can also get a stone model grinder, vibrator, etc etc etc. The possibilities are endless. I wish I knew this information when I was a D1, I could have spent a lot more time with my dogs at home. Then again, the lab is a fun place to hang out and you learn a lot from your friends while there.

Thank you all for your very helpful suggestions! you've been immensely helpful. Good luck with everything.