How close do you have to be with a professor for a LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

mynameistino

Hi
I am thinking about asking a professor to write me a LOR but how close do you have to be with them to ask for a letter of recommendation. And When you ask what is a good statement to say and ask?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi
I am thinking about asking a professor to write me a LOR but how close do you have to be with them to ask for a letter of recommendation. And When you ask what is a good statement to say and ask?

as long as they know your name is tino then you are good to go :thumbup:

jb!

Members don't see this ad :)
At first it was a little embarasing for me but after the first one it was no big deal.

My advice, sit up front and ask a lot of questions.

Approach them about a month before the semester is over. They will usuallly tell you to wait till it's over to see what grade you get but this is ok. You just want him to know who you are after the semester is over.

Finally, make sure you get an A in the class.

knowing your name is good, but I think the more they know about you the better your LOR report will be... I come from a pretty small school so this wasn't hard for me, we got to know a lot of our prof's on a personal level which helped out a lot with them writing a good letter for me... All you gotta do is ask them if they will write it for you.. its part of their job!

good luck

The best professor to use as a reference is:

a) Thesis professor/Co-thesis supervisor: They can give you more than just an academic reference as they get to know you personally over the course of the year during your thesis
b) A professor from a course you've achieved an excellent grade in and sought help from the professor. They would probably write more of an academic reference letter. However, volunteering in their lab could spiff up the LOR :)
c) A professor whom you've volunteered for.

Basically, email the professor to schedule a time to meet up. And when you see them, tell them that you're applying for dental school and would like to use them as a Referee if possible. Best thing to do is bring the AADSAS LOR matching form with you so that if they agree, you can give it to them right then. Usually that works for me :) Profs are pretty cool about these things if you know them so no worries :thumbup:

Hope this helps :luck:

just blackmail them...then you don't have to know them at all and you'll get the best letter ever! Give it a try

At first it was a little embarasing for me but after the first one it was no big deal.

Approach them about a month before the semester is over. They will usuallly tell you to wait till it's over to see what grade you get but this is ok. You just want him to know who you are after the semester is over.

This is good advice. A professor that is familiar with you not only as a student but also as an individual will be able to write a more solid LOR for you. A good LOR not only testitifies to your ability to perform academically but gives some insight into your character and likelihood for longterm success. The more a recommendor knows about you the more positive things they can place in your letter.

This is good advice. A professor that is familiar with you not only as a student but also as an individual will be able to write a more solid LOR for you. A good LOR not only testitifies to your ability to perform academically but gives some insight into your character and likelihood for longterm success. The more a recommendor knows about you the more positive things they can place in your letter.

Everyday in organic I asked several questions, I annoyed most of the other students but there is nothing a intructor likes more then genuine interest and curiosity in a student. At the end of year I asked him for a "strong" LOR and a got a resounding yes.

I've targeted a professor whom I would like to know for an LOR, but he keeps referring me to his TAs for questions! What should I do? Also, does it matter when in the semester that I should be acquainted with the professor, or can I bug the professor towards the end of the semester?

it also helps to know the TA well. in biochem lab, i became really close to the TA. the TA basically wrote the rec for me and the prof made small changes to it before signing and sending.