How competitive is child psychiatry fellowships on the West Coast?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ara96

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm interested in going into child psych after doing a rotation. I'm at a community based program in the East Coast and currently a PGY-2. I was wondering, how competitive programs in California and Arizona are in particular? Do they value PRITE scores very highly?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Moderators, please move this to the Psychiatry forum please thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
PRITE scores don't matter that much as long as you did OK and didn't bomb them. Child psych in general is not competitive. I completed residency and child fellowship out west. Cali is more competitive than Arizona just because of geography, population, and more famous programs. Send me a PM and I'm happy to discuss with you the pluses and minuses where I did training.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks I did improve my PRITE but it is still below average. I am constantly studying so I hope next PRITE will be higher.

Check out Table 1:

http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Results-and-Data-SMS-2016_Final.pdf

There are 107 fellowships, 30 went unfilled. Of the spots that filled, 48.2% were US MDs.

I'm sure fellowships like UCLA are relatively competitive, but if you just want to match into Cali you will get something.

So I looked at my PRITE scores and they are in the 30th percentile. I am working to improve for next year. But lets say i interview, will this be a big factor for me to not get a fellowship?

It's so hard to even say I want to do it for sure as I have not had any child exposure in my second year aside form consults

So I looked at my PRITE scores and they are in the 30th percentile. I am working to improve for next year. But lets say i interview, will this be a big factor for me to not get a fellowship?

It's so hard to even say I want to do it for sure as I have not had any child exposure in my second year aside form consults
Im not applying to child so I'm not the right person to ask or answer.

But I do know that CL and Addiction fellowships don't ask for PRITE, so I'm assuming child doesn't either....

I really don't think psych fellowships care about PRITE or USMLE scores...maybe places like Columbia and MGH but that's it at the most.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I don't know if child programs ask applicants for their PRITE scores, but I do know that no one has been asking me for them and I would think asking the applicants for them would be a set up for ethical issues. It seems like everyone is adding child fellowships to their general adult programs. I think the supply will continue to grow relative to demand. I don't mean the demand for child psychiatrists which seems almost infinite, I mean the demand for adult residents who want to do child psychiatry.

There are a good number of CAP Fellowships on the Westcoast. A new one just opened up with 2 spots in the San Fernando Valley which I hear some good things about in that it has a unique training model. I think the most important thing from what I have seen for people who are interviewing at different programs at least around the LA area, is that they feel that you have a good work ethic, and that you will be good to work with and not a toxic.

How closely are Step 1 and Step 2 scores looked at for C&A application purposes? What are the main criteria PD's use to rank applicants? Is it different from Residency application?

Thanks

I'm sorry, wait a minute. Do CAP programs ask for PRITE scores, or not? I was under the impression that PRITE was mainly just to gauge your personal growth in preparation for the board exam.

Reactions: 1 user