How do I apply and register for the DAT so that I have enough "emergency days" but don't finish studying too early before my test date?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mandis

Reaction score
Hello,
I will begin studying for the DAT soon using the DATBooster 10 week schedule. I plan to allot 12 weeks to this process because I will be volunteering once per week (just a few hours), I have a mandatory 2-3 day event to attend this summer, and I may need the extra time in case I get sick or something. But other than volunteering and the event, I don't plan to use the rest of that 2 week emergency allotment at all. So, there's a chance I might finish the 10 week schedule and have a little over a week left before my test date. This seems like plenty of time to forget material without a clear study structure as given by the Booster schedule, so I'm trying to figure out how the registration process works and how long before my test date I need to apply and register.
I know this isn't possible, but in an ideal world I would be able to register for the DAT the day I finish the Booster schedule so I can take it the day after. This makes sure I use only as many emergency days as I need so there is no delay between finishing the Booster schedule and taking the DAT. What's the closest I could get to this situation in real life to have the same flexibility?
Please feel free to ask for clarification about any part of this question, and thanks for reading.

Members don't see this ad.

Heads up, you need to register now. It could take you 2-4 months just to get a date scheduled. I had to travel 2.5 hours to take my exam when I wanted to take it because I didn't pay attention to this and thought the same as you. So schedule it once you start studying. 1-2 weeks left over you can use going over material you feel less confident on, it’s not likely you’ll forget material if you studied it well enough. You aren't expected to know everything, but through studying you should develop skills where you can identify what the question is asking and deduce answers through it. Also, sometimes following structured schedules isn’t the greatest, I tried it and couldn't keep pace so I went with my own method and it turned out fine. So do what makes you feel most comfortable and use it as a guide.

Reactions: 1 users
I would suggest looking at this thread since I'm not sure you understand the process to register for the DAT: Forum Members - DAT Summary, Tips, & Tricks. You need to apply to take the DAT first, and then you're able to schedule a test date within a 6 month window. So if you're thinking about applying this cycle, I would register asap. Prometric books up quickly since they host so many other exams.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Heads up, you need to register now. It could take you 2 months just to get a date. I had to travel 2.5 hours to take my exam when I wanted. So schedule it once you start studying. 1-2 weeks left over you can use going over material you feel less confident on, it’s not likely you’ll forget material if you studied it well enough. You should be able to figure it out in the exam. Also, soemtimes following structured schedules aren’t the greatest. So do what makes you feel most comfortable and use it as a guide.
Wow. I really appreciate you letting me know that, I was prepared to wait about 60 days beforehand just to apply.

I would suggest looking at this thread since I'm not sure you understand the process to register for the DAT: Forum Members - DAT Summary, Tips, & Tricks. You need to apply to take the DAT first, and then you're able to schedule a test date within a 6 month window. So if you're thinking about applying this cycle, I would register asap. Prometric books up quickly since they host so many other exams.
Hello, I intend to apply during the cycle beginning in June 2024, the cycle after this coming cycle. Either way, I take it you still recommend that I apply for the DAT now if I want to take in in August?

And one more thing, I didn't see anything in the resource you provided (thank you!) about rescheduling a testing date. I assume this is either impossible or costly if it's done too. Is that correct? The most I can seem to find is that it costs around $100.

Hello, I intend to apply during the cycle beginning in June 2024, the cycle after this coming cycle. Either way, I take it you still recommend that I apply for the DAT now if I want to take in in August?

And one more thing, I didn't see anything in the resource you provided (thank you!) about rescheduling a testing date. I assume this is either impossible or costly if it's done too. Is that correct? The most I can seem to find is that it costs around $100.
yes, it's better to apply now and take it when you want, than scrambling to find a testing center like me because I tried to schedule with about a month until I was finished with my studying. I wouldn't have had to spend money to travel 120 miles to take my exam, and it would have been less stressful had I just scheduled it early on in my studies. There, most likely, won't be a lot of prometric centers where you are, or maybe idk, I know in MN there are only 3 in the entire state that are qualified to give the DAT.

Yes, it costs money to reschedule. I think somewhere in the 50-100$ range, however, you will spend A LOT more to reschedule much sooner to the date (I think /2 cost of the exam, so ~$150, quote me if I am wrong or if they changed this) or they may force you to forfeit the exam and schedule, and most likely pay, to take it again. So I'm really hard-pressed to tell you to schedule it and hold tight on that date so you don't get screwed having to pay a ton of money or reschedule and being stuck having to push even further back.

The DAT is also good for 3 years, so if you plan on applying in 2024, taking it in August of this year is a good idea. Especially If you don't get the score you want, you will have ample time to reschedule another exam before the opening of next year's applications.

Also, just a tip, when you go to apply for the exam, choose ALL schools to get the score, otherwise if you don't and decide you want to see the score before sending they charge like 25-50$ per school. And if you take it multiple times, schools will see every test you've taken and each one has its own policy for scoring your DAT, some average, some take the most recent, and some may look at the best score. So just a healthy reminder. And, if you plan on having accommodations for the test, you need to get a letter sent to them ASAP because you can't schedule your exam until they have received your letter of documentation and given you a code to enter before registering for the it.

It's a lot of info, and Idk why they make it so confusing, but it is! Pay attention to the details and you won't stress yourself out like I did! Good luck on your studies, you'll kill it!

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, if you're sure you'll take it in August or at least before November (6 month window).
You can reschedule. Step 1 has a link to the DAT Guide (which I really recommend you read) since it tells you -
1683173033310.png

yes, it's better to apply now and take it when you want, than scrambling to find a testing center like me because I tried to schedule with about a month until I was finished with my studying. I wouldn't have had to spend money to travel 120 miles to take my exam, and it would have been less stressful had I just scheduled it early on in my studies. There, most likely, won't be a lot of prometric centers where you are, or maybe idk, I know in MN there are only 3 in the entire state that are qualified to give the DAT.

Yes, it costs money to reschedule. I think somewhere in the 50-100$ range, however, you will spend A LOT more to reschedule much sooner to the date (I think /2 cost of the exam, so ~$150, quote me if I am wrong or if they changed this) or they may force you to forfeit the exam and schedule, and most likely pay, to take it again. So I'm really hard-pressed to tell you to schedule it and hold tight on that date so you don't get screwed having to pay a ton of money or reschedule and being stuck having to push even further back.

The DAT is also good for 3 years, so if you plan on applying in 2024, taking it in August of this year is a good idea. Especially If you don't get the score you want, you will have ample time to reschedule another exam before the opening of next year's applications.

Also, just a tip, when you go to apply for the exam, choose ALL schools to get the score, otherwise if you don't and decide you want to see the score before sending they charge like 25-50$ per school. And if you take it multiple times, schools will see every test you've taken and each one has its own policy for scoring your DAT, some average, some take the most recent, and some may look at the best score. So just a healthy reminder. And, if you plan on having accommodations for the test, you need to get a letter sent to them ASAP because you can't schedule your exam until they have received your letter of documentation and given you a code to enter before registering for the it.

It's a lot of info, and Idk why they make it so confusing, but it is! Pay attention to the details and you won't stress yourself out like I did! Good luck on your studies, you'll kill it!
I'm very thankful for all this information. This has been very informative. And thank you for the good luck wish, I will definitely try my best!

Yes, if you're sure you'll take it in August or at least before November (6 month window).

You can reschedule. Step 1 has a link to the DAT Guide (which I really recommend you read) since it tells you -
View attachment 370678
I just read through both resources in Step 1. Just a few questions I don't think I saw addressed in either one:
Do you know how long after my application to take the DAT I can expect to receive the notification that I can register? I have heard a little less than a week.
If I reschedule my testing date, do you happen to know how long it generally takes to get a new day? I assume the days available would be at least a month later than your original testing date, but maybe people who are re-registering have priority or something.
I understand these questions are pretty specific and probably vary based on a lot of conditions, just wanted to ask in case you knew. Thanks for your help so far.

Do you know how long after my application to take the DAT I can expect to receive the notification that I can register? I have heard a little less than a week.
No clue, it really depends on how fast they process it. I would safely assume within 2 weeks/10 business days though.
If I reschedule my testing date, do you happen to know how long it generally takes to get a new day? I assume the days available would be at least a month later than your original testing date, but maybe people who are re-registering have priority or something.
As far as I remember, I think you can always see what days are available and then pay the appropriate rescheduling fee to confirm the new date. So you could check every day if you wanted to see if a specific date now has an open seat at a specific location and then lock it in by paying.

Hello,
I will begin studying for the DAT soon using the DATBooster 10 week schedule. I plan to allot 12 weeks to this process because I will be volunteering once per week (just a few hours), I have a mandatory 2-3 day event to attend this summer, and I may need the extra time in case I get sick or something. But other than volunteering and the event, I don't plan to use the rest of that 2 week emergency allotment at all. So, there's a chance I might finish the 10 week schedule and have a little over a week left before my test date. This seems like plenty of time to forget material without a clear study structure as given by the Booster schedule, so I'm trying to figure out how the registration process works and how long before my test date I need to apply and register.
I know this isn't possible, but in an ideal world I would be able to register for the DAT the day I finish the Booster schedule so I can take it the day after. This makes sure I use only as many emergency days as I need so there is no delay between finishing the Booster schedule and taking the DAT. What's the closest I could get to this situation in real life to have the same flexibility?
Please feel free to ask for clarification about any part of this question, and thanks for reading.
Don't Sweat the DAT Exam

I have attached the ADA Examinee guide. , it's chock-full of answers to your questions.

If you prep hard and don't take the exam until you're fully ready, you're golden!

Also, don't be boxed in by someone else's study plan. You do you! We all have different skills and study habits. So go ahead and create your own plan that works for you.

And here's my best advice: never, ever settle for less than your best score. Take your time, prepare, and #think30. Anything less is unacceptable!

Good luck, Nancy, co/owner, Destroyers

Attachments

• dat_examinee_guide.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 78
No clue, it really depends on how fast they process it. I would safely assume within 2 weeks/10 business days though.

As far as I remember, I think you can always see what days are available and then pay the appropriate rescheduling fee to confirm the new date. So you could check every day if you wanted to see if a specific date now has an open seat at a specific location and then lock it in by paying.
Alright, once again I appreciate your willingness to help.

Don't Sweat the DAT Exam

I have attached the ADA Examinee guide. , it's chock-full of answers to your questions.

If you prep hard and don't take the exam until you're fully ready, you're golden!

Also, don't be boxed in by someone else's study plan. You do you! We all have different skills and study habits. So go ahead and create your own plan that works for you.

And here's my best advice: never, ever settle for less than your best score. Take your time, prepare, and #think30. Anything less is unacceptable!

Good luck, Nancy, co/owner, Destroyers
I appreciate the resource you provided and the advice you gave. I'll definitely be trying my best.

I appreciate the resource you provided and the advice you gave. I'll definitely be trying my best.
"Always aim to give your best , and then keep going! Set yourself up for success with the ambitious goal of aiming for a 30."

Think30...Nancy