How do I become Dr. Paul Weston?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Paul Weston

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do I become a psychologist that treats patients in his home?

I have a BA in international relations and also many science credits from an unfinished degree. (calc, chem, bio, physics, etc)

Where should I apply?

Members don't see this ad.

Given your background, I think your objective should be twofold. First, get some experience in the social services field! Find a volunteership or internship where you can work with people. Then, apply for some Master's programs and maybe some Ph.D. programs (I don't know much about your stats, so I can't be much more specific than that). Since you want to be a psychologist who treats, I would suggest a Psy.D. since you don't sound interested in doing research or teaching.

All of that said, how important is it for you to be DOCTOR Paul Weston? A licensed clinical social worker (after supervision) can work one-on-one with people as well. Just a thought.

Someone already grabbed the nick "Dr. Paul Weston". I had to settle for just plain Paul Weston. No disrespect intended.

I like the idea of treating patients in a cozy, insulated environment. Also, when entering and leaving, they don't have to interact with others. Many avoid therapy simply for this reason. I want my future patients to have complete and total privacy.

My overall GPA is 3.3, and my science GPA is 3.6.

I plan on volunteering in a psychiatric hospital after this semester is over. Can you recommend some PhD programs where I have a reasonable chance of being accepted?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hm, all of these make sense. In that case, I'd definitely shoot for a Psy.D.- it sounds like you're a good fit for one. That said, I now have absolutely no helpful suggestions. However, consider picking up the APA's book Graduate Study in Psychology, as it lists ALL accredited Ph.D./Psy.D. programs in the US.

My greatest concern is not having a bachelors degree in Psych. Will that seriously hurt my chances?

The only psych class I took was Gen. Psych.

If you are applying to clinical psych programs... they are intensely competitive. Most will have pre-reqs for psych classes that you MUST take in order to be admitted.

Several years ago, those were tests and measures, general (obviously), personality, history, cognitive, research, and stats. So, yes, not having the minimum pre-reqs will hurt your chances with those programs.

If you are applying to another field, counseling, social work, or marriage and family therapy... you are less likely to run into those pre-reqs... though most will still require some percentage of classes in the social sciences.

There are exceptions to all rules BUT usually, those sorts of exceptions would only come if the applicant had exceptionally life/career experience. eg: a student grads with a major in film, works in the industry a few years but finds a passion for social work, starts working in foster care, does that for 15 years, and THEN applies to an MSW program...

I'm sure there are other directions that scenario would work as well...

The apps will ALL ask for your Psych GPA and will ask you to list your psych classes.

I ditto the importance of some experience to make sure this is the field for you and ditto the rec for the guide.

Enjoy the process!

Someone already grabbed the nick "Dr. Paul Weston". I had to settle for just plain Paul Weston. No disrespect intended.

I like the idea of treating patients in a cozy, insulated environment. Also, when entering and leaving, they don't have to interact with others. Many avoid therapy simply for this reason. I want my future patients to have complete and total privacy.

My overall GPA is 3.3, and my science GPA is 3.6.

I plan on volunteering in a psychiatric hospital after this semester is over. Can you recommend some PhD programs where I have a reasonable chance of being accepted?

Paul, I still don't see the reason you want to pursue a PhD or PsyD in this field. No offense, but you seem to have no actual experience w/ these kinds of clients nor are you asking to do anything one needs a doctoral level degree in order to do.
What do you want to do that requires a PhD or PsyD?

Also, while clients should get confidentiality,"total and complete privacy" -- to include not meeting anyone on the way into the office -- is going to be pretty difficult to attain. What kind of program or practice do you intend to run? Additionally, why not use the people clients meet on their way in and out (esp. staff wise) as therapeutic agents? Such a strong commitment to "privacy" seems to me like it could easily limit your therapy.

little off topic, but i would never treat clients in my home. despite the tax right off and convenience, its important to remember that these people are suffering and suffering people dont always think rationally especially towards their therapists who are the ones charged with making them confront their feelings. so for my own safety i dont think i will ever treat clients in my own home. although i too love the show.

I agree. I think you are inviting undue risk to yourself (and your family) by so readily having your patients know your home address.